Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I downshift to a bigger gear and derailleur cage needs to move downward (the direction the clutch generally prevents) , does the clutch actually open momentarily to allow the movement, or does the chain tension simply force it to move, the same as if i forced the derailleur to move with my hand?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, thanks. I would have thought the shifting action would release the clutch for a partial rotation or something. Otherwise each shift is creating resistance. I know it's small but it's still added friction, and a part that wears out. Hmm.

·
Registered
973 Posts
just as Slash5 stated, all the "clutch" does is slow down the chain and derailleur bounce...bunches of threads here re "proper" maintenance. Do a search on Shadow Plus...Mine only has 300ish miles and I have yet to experience any chain slap. I have taken mine apart twice, lubed with Shimano Y04120800 Internal Hub Grease and all appears good. Several folks here feel there could be an engineering issue, but it is my opinion that the jury is still out :skep: there certainly have been a pattern of failures though that would lead you to believe that something is amiss...a different adjustment maybe :idea:too bad Shimano hasn't officially addressed this issue, at least to my knowledge they have not.

I guess I got a little off-track re the OP's query...but now you know how it is suppose to work and a maybe just a bit of added info too...both Shimano and Sram have effectively engineered a system that works well most of the time, and that certainly would include all the 1X NW chain ring options.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts