Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and didnt find a thread on this so thought I would ask

I'll kick things off:

I discovered it this last summer in the park at downtown greenville SC. Me and some friends liked walking down there after lunch and we walked on these short 1/8of a mile dirt trails and I thought man this would be cool to ride a bike on. So after a few weeks of it buggin me I went back to my parents house and got my old $120 toy's r us bike out. I started riding it after 4+ years, I think, and man did I have fun. So I started riding there alot even though they only had 3 trails the longest being only 1/4th of a mile. So then I decided to get on the internet and see if there were trails out there just for biking and OH MY GOD at what I stumbled upon. :)

there is more but I gota run maybe I can finish it later lets hear everyone elses :thumbsup:

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
A few years back my uncle gave me a wal-mart Pacific Ambush for the Holidays. One day I went to a local park to ride my new cheap bike and saw a few cars going to the end of the park (where the trail head is located)... with mt bikes, and then seeing them leave with their bikes all muddy. I had to go investigate for myself. I went in and did maybe like half a mile before i was asked to exit the trails for not having a helmet. That was it for me. I was in love with the feeling of being in those woods hitting those single tracks. (mind you i only did like half mile)

Now, 9 years later... Im still addicted. Travel around the stated experiencing new parks. Train in my local parks, and even race in local events. And of course I have had many bikes since.

mtbking is one of the best things that has happened to me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am definatly new at this as I started only about two years ago. I traveled up and down the East coast racing harescrambles on my motorcycle, these consisted of approximatly a 10 mile loop run 4 times. We were allowed to view the race loop a day before the event happened so I would travel to my destination early and "walk" the entire 10 miles to get the lay of the land. I noticed more and more that the country's top pro riders were doing the same inspection of the track only from a bicycle. I figured, Damn I could probably check out the track in a fraction of the time by riding a bike. I aquired a pretty beat-up Diamondback Sorrento with which I trailered to the races along with my race bike. After the first expierience of mountain biking around that loop, I was hooked. Last year I picked up an IronHorse Hardtail that I had some fun on and about three weeks ago I took delivery of my new Trek Fuel EX9. Now I cannot get enough, I try and ride as much as I can. I think I'm an addict of some kind, and I cannot remember when the last time I even started up my motorcycle it's been months. I only wish I had picked up on this sport years ago not only is it a blast but I getting in shape too.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
I started to like Mt.Biking when my parents bought me my first bike. It was a GT ALL Terra rigid, I must have been 14 at the time (27 now). I would look for any trails I could, just to get out in the woods. Then I stopped since my friends all got dirt bikes & 4 wheelers:mad: . Parents wouldn't get me one of those.:rolleyes: When that bike was long gone (21 yrs old) I gave it up. I couldn't afford a new bike & barely made enough to pay my rent. It is not about the money but once I got a real career & ran into a co-worker/friend who rides, I bought my self a nice Ironhorse started customizing it & hitting every trail I could again. I haven't looked back & don't plan on it. To much fun to mis out on.
For me it is about the trails/woods/nature, obstacles & excersize, I get a big thrill out of it & just can not get enough. It is my free time to clear my mind & just have tons of fun.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
Thx for that link Antonio; now I can be consistent and not have to make a somewhat similar iteration. From that thread:

A fellow Soldier at Ft Sill biked a lot and got my interest piqued. Knowing no better I went to Dolgin's and bought a Murray and tinkered around the range roads for a few weeks and then put the bike away until it got swiped out of a storage locker.

Fast forward a few years to my return to Baumholder from Bosnia--the sportsstore ran by AAFES had a sweet Scott fully rigid racing comp marked down from 999 to 620. It was so mine and I entered a couple races in Germany even--I left that bike there and got a Trek 7000 at Ft Hood. And started attending many club type rides, fests and races.

Work after retiring from the Army demands more of my time than being a Soldier ever did, but I still go out on quality trail rides and am a keen road cyclist also.

So been doing this all somewhat seriously for 12 years now.

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
An ex got me started road riding in Indiana in 1995. We moved to Texas in 1996. I did lots of centuries, MS 150 rides, that kind of thing. But after some really negative, scary experiences with Texas drivers (including being stalked while riding alone), I decided I should try the dirt.

And I loved it! Now it's a *huge* part of my life, and it makes me very happy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've always been into stunts on bikes. I had a "BMX" bike when I was little and when I saw the the first dept store MTBs being riden around I wanted one. Rode cheap MTBs for a couple years then went hardcore BMX riding real gear. Picked up a MTB again when I worked as a bike messenger in Chicago. Set it aside when I started a office job. Picked up big bikes again when I flatted my BMX at a skatepark was too lazy to fix it and had my MTB in the van.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
About 5 or 6 years ago I borrowed a bike and went out to a local trail in Charlotte, NC (Renaissance) with a couple of co-workers who rode all the time. They offered me words of encouragement and were polite enough to wait on me when I had to stop and catch my breath. At one point I was sure that I was seconds away from a blackout. Scary stuff.

I remember laughing on the way home from the trail that night but also swearing off that horrible torture fest that I had just endured for good. About a month later I guess I was bored or something, but I took the bike out to another trail and rode by myself. I figured it would be a little more comfortable for me if others didn't have to see a "cow about to give birth" impersonation.

It was an awesome ride and I was hooked from that day forward. The fast sections were exciting and fun. My pace climbing was (is) slow but I enjoyed the challenge and was driven to make it to the top. It was just me and the trail. I wasn't holding anyone up and didn't have to feel embarrased or uncomfortable. The great thing about mtn biking is that it's all relative, and the fun that you have when you ride, beginner or pro, never goes away once you are bitten by the bug!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
In 1995 I watched a rock climbing buddy trials a Kline up about twenty stairs...The next day I had a bike and was trying the same...12 hours after that we were riding single track and I have been hooked since.:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
During college i got sick of having nothing to do with my free time outside of ski season. I got a cheap walmart bike, hit a local trail, scared the piss out of myself several times, and the rest is history. I am now on bike 3 since and am loving every second i am out there. I don't dislike summer anymore!

·
Registered
203 Posts
What hooked me...

A 1986 Rockhopper, Specialized Ground Control Tires, Mt. Tamalpais,
and lots of good herb....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Love your avatar and your name...Tam Junkie! I grew up in sight of that Mountain...can't believe I didn't get into mtb until I lived in Southern California. I guess when you live in So Cal there's an even bigger need to get up and get away from it all. And yes we do have many beautiful and isolated trails. We even have lots of singletrack that you can even ride legally.

I had a friend who lived to ride. I will never forget how his face just lit up the first time I met him as he told me about his most recent riding trip to Arizona. His entusiasim intrigued me. I'd always loved the outdoors.
(How can you not when you grow up in Marin?) I asked him to take me on a local ride sometime so I could see what it was all about. Initally I was just curious...thinking I'd just "check it out". I never expected it to become such a big part of my life. I will never forget how it felt on that very first ride, as he flew down the hill in front of me I was taken away by how peaceful and free and happy he looked, like a little kid in the woods, I realized I was experiencing the same thing...a real rush of physical and mental freedom. Hooked after the very first time.
I am forever grateful for the years of patience and encouragement from my riding partner and trail guide, I can never imagine giving this up! I have finally reached a level where I truely enjoy the ride, the climbing, sometimes the hiking, the trees, the fresh air and the friendships I've made with people who share the passion. I gotten to see and explore new parts of the country in a whole new way.

My name is Lynn and I am and addict!

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
I am late to the party as usual....

Graduated from school and burnt out from doing my BA/Master's. Moved back to a great mountain biking area, the Bay Area. Buddy was riding random weekends on the local trails, I picked up a HT Cannondale F400 at REI at their Annual Sale.

Hit the trails with him, started riding without him, riding more frequently, learned about MTBR after searching for a new bike.

Well just say I plan my weekends and my week around riding, and my CC company loves me!

·
zip it up, zip it out
265 Posts
Rode the neighborhood bmx circuit as a kid (my back yard, my buddies, his neighbors you get it ) got a mtb at age of 12 and broke it then got another and broke it this cycle went on for years until i was 16 and got a car, i forgot about bikes till a year ago when i picked up my giant.
ive found that singletrack is best anti stress med ever.
Now i ride dirt on weekends and urban on weknights good stuff

·
Registered
768 Posts
My dad got me into biking when I was about 4 or 5. We lived WAY out in the country, so I just rode my little bmx anywhere I could. The kind of rough ass cow trails I got to jam all over as a kid would be considered primo singletrack now, but that's another story.
As I got bigger, we moved around, but always lived in the country, and I always had a bike. It was natural that I would get a mountain bike and not a road bike as I was only on pavement about 15% of the time I was riding.
When I went to college, I was suddenly surrounded by pavement and concrete. Since it was easier to haul a skateboard around campus than worry about my bike getting stolen 24/7, I started skating and dropped biking all together for about 6 years.
About 3 years ago, I decided I was getting too fat. I got an old specialized rockhopper out of my dad's garage (vintage 1986), and started hitting annadel and other local spots up to try and slim down. I've been addicted ever since, and can't believe I stopped riding bikes for all those years!

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
MTB discovery

Back in 1999 I was extremely overweight, smoking two packs a day, and the only exercise that I got was walking to the refrigerator to get something else to eat. After going thru a period of not feeling well I went to the Doctor. He smacked me up side the head with the news that I had adult onset diabetes. He then told me I wouldn't make it to the age of 40 if I didn't start taking care of myself. I couldn't run (Over 400lbs at the time), walking was boring. I didn't know what to do, but I had to do something. I saw an ad about a local MTB race called the "Bump n Grind". I did not know what it was all about but I went to the park and saw all of these people on bikes with fat tires headed into the woods with huge grins on their faces. I asked some questions and found out that anyone could ride those trail. I went to the LBS and bought a Trek 6000. I didn't know bikes could cost 569.00:eekster: I got home, rode about two blocks and swore that I wouldn't do anything like that again:nono: My wife then reminded me of how much I had spent and what the Doctor told me. I must have looked a sight going out on the trail my first couple of times. A beach ball with lips riding a bike:D But I kept at it and now it is an absolute obsession. It has literally saved me from myself. Everything I do now revolves around making time for my next ride. I lost a lot of weight although I am still big, don't smoke anymore, and do not have to take medicine for the diabetes anymore. I have made friendships that I would have never made before. I can't convey in words what this sport means to me.

·
So it goes.....
167 Posts
TamJunkie said:
A 1986 Rockhopper, Specialized Ground Control Tires, Mt. Tamalpais,
and lots of good herb....
Ok OK so it was a 1986 Schwinn Sierra with Ground Control Tires, NJ somewhere and lots of good herb.....

Started riding because I always rode a bike as transportation back in college - rest in peace my old 30lb Schwinn Varsity 10 speed :cool: .

Moved to Vermont in 87' and took that Schwinn Sierra up there and used it as a daily commuter bike AND for biking in the beautiful Green Mountains of Vermont. Left VT in 92' and purchased a Specialized Stumpjumper (man loved that bike) and rode that for many years. Moved to California and purchased a Fisher Paragon hardtail and rode that for over 8 years. While descending Downieville on that old XC bike I knew it was time I "needed" a full susser. Purchased my first dual suspension 2 years ago. My fisher is now my SS playbike and I have a choice what bike to ride when I go out for a spin. I have a nice Lemond road bike that I take for a spin once and awhile too. Any time spent on a bike is good time in my book:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.