Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How did you or will you enter the 29" community?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
29" and Singlespeed, chicken&egg, or partners in crime?

This came up in a thread today. all 5 29"er that showed up for a race, were singlespeeders. Makes one wonder where the 29" community is growing from.

Please put your vote in!

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
My vote: no relationship

Explanation: 29ers are faster, roll over more obstacles, get more traction, all rider to maintain momentum better. This just so happens to be the critical list of bike handling characteristics that should be important to any SSer. Therefore there is a natural mix. However, one doesn't imply the other, nor do I think one is born out of or the natural result of the other.

However, if you are riding SS, you are doing yourself a dis-service if you are not on a 29er.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I more meant to find out where the 29" community is getting it's members from. What % of the whole MTB'ing scene does SS really fill? Let's say 1%. But is also just 1% of SS'ers on a 29"er? Are 29" riders more likely to try SS'ing, as they've trying some thing radicl before, or is it more SS'ers that are converting to big wheels "en masse"?

42 views so far, just 7 votes. Of those, only 2 of those not into singlespeeding.

Please keep voting folks!

·
assenting member
78 Posts
Geared FS to geared HT

I am awaiting a geared Wily (down to a few weeks). I have been riding a Heckler for years (set up for XC). Getting into 29"ers because I always inteded to ditch the monkey-motion for an Ibis Mojo, but missed my opportunity. I want a soul ride, hence the fine steel hard-tail. I am not into suffering, and doubt my knees could tolerate the punishement SS would dole out here in western Oregon.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
It was in the store

Well, the bike was a curiosity to me. I was working in a shop last summer that had an 02 Mt. TAM. I wasn't in love with the bike at first, but now... I'll never go back.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Went from 26" gearie to a 29" gearie.
Then converted the old 26" gearie to SS.
Once the frame broke, I converted the 29" to SS, and put all the 26" SS stuff on a FS gearie.

I guess I went full circle! :)

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Been on my geared Buzz Bomb for 18 months.

Last month got the itch to try singlespeeding. I've got the a spare frame and most of the fixins to throw together a SS, but unfortunately all 26" stuff. Thought, "Gee, I'd rather have a SS on 29-inch rubber" and walked away from the idea due to the pricetag.

I'll try SS one day, but most likely on a 29"er.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Late last year I dove into a cheap 26er SS (el cheapo Supergo frame, lotsa spare parts) and I'm kicking myself that I didn't build up a SS Karate Monkey. Now the garage is full - but when that cheap alum frame eventually snaps a 29er will replace it

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nate, just throw away the Rohloff shifter and you're there...

I first did lots of research into 29" and tried to have a custom done which didn't work. Then got a barely used Fisher Supercal frameset plus wheels, and built the thing up with anything I could find to just get the thing rolling. Later I bought my Surly Karate Monkey, and have always ridden it SS. My first SS also, but later I also got a Surly Pacer roadbike, a Surly Cross-Check CX racer/commuter/trainer, and a Banshee Morphine (26" 4-cross), all of which I ran as singlespeeds to date.
The Fisher is my race and epic bike, the KM is for casual training in the forest and rides with much slower buddies.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
I had both.....

II had a 26" SS (old Merlin convert), and a 26" geared (Bontrager). Sold a road bike and the Bonty to buy a Monkey to verify I liked the platform. Built it up geared with considerations for single/fixed (disc front, canti's rear). I recently sold my cross bike to build up a new Rock Lobster 29 w/ ebb so I can run dual duty. It will start SS, but I'll want the option for gears (second wheelset sitting ready for quick changeover). I seem to go in spurts, where I'm really into a particular bike (or gears/SS) for a while, and that's the only bike I ride, then I have to switch to a different bike for a bit to renew my enthusiasm. Right now I'm riding the road fixie a lot because of this lovely midwest rain......

·
Registered
616 Posts
29er's

made sense to me. I've been a 4x4 adict since I was 16 (26 years ago) and always ran larger tires. Makes sense to have larger tires on a bike for ease of rolling over trail obstacles (re: speed). I love my Mt Tam, ordered it before I even rode a 29er cause the concept was solid. Now I am converting my Mt Tam to SS. I converted a 26" bike to SS, but I like 29ers better on the trail. Even got a buddy to go 29". He always thought 26" wheels were to small. I see more and more 29ers on the CARP trails.

Life is good on a 29er.

Steve

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
"other" seems to work for me:

26er gearie
26er ss
sometimes a roadie (mainly during tris)
wanted to go both with a 29er and wanted to go custom (for a first try)

regrets? only tha the 29er isnt 100% back otgether to be able to ride. the brakes are ordered and will be here next week. yes, the 29er is being built up as a SS this time.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having had any SS trail bike is already sufficent IMO to be a singlespeeder. Looks like I made enough categories to not need the "other" after all :)
Thanks for all the votes and responses, keep them coming!

·
Registered
172 Posts
For me, it all started on my Bigwheel brand SS fixie tricycle,.. tearing it up, doing burnouts till I wore through the plastic front wheel & then riding it down dead man's hill,.. pedals spinning like a blender.
From there I moved up to a schwinn bantam, >schwinn scrambler > various huffy's > landers team granite > Marin bear valley>... no bike for ten years.

Then I found a schwinn collegiate with a bent frame by a dumpster a couple of years ago,.. converted it to SS & started riding it all the time..
From there I moved into my chopper & custom POS bike phase.

Next was my 24" bmx > 26" bmx phase, & then 26" single speed when I found MTBR.
'Started lurking on the 29'er board,.. tried out a Mt. Tam at my lbs. & was hooked.
I saved up for a long time to build my 29" monkey, first as an SS, & now with gears..
'on it for 7 months, & havn't ridden any of my other bikes.

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look how the figures tell their story already.
1 out of 6 29" owners got a 29" SS, already being on a 26" SS'er.
1 out of 15 29" owners went 29"and SS all at once.
Another 1 out of 15 took up singlespeeding after becomeing part of our 29" tree house.
Almost 40% of the 29" owners does SS in some form or another.
And then there's still the 14% that doesn't like to be put in any category, no matter how many I offer them to choose from.
Keep voting! At least till we get 100 of them!

·
AussieLostInNyc
650 Posts
Return to the bike scene - first time SS, first time 29er

I moved to NYC from Australia and didn't ship my thrashed hardtail. I hadn't
ridden it on a trail for about two years (rock climbing and children were priorities ).
I got here and because I am not currently working wanted a bike.
Started with the idea of a Giant VT2, decided that it wouldn't get the love it deserves
as I wouldn't travel that much to use it. Also decided that I was not about to return
to drops and jumps and you couldn't park it on the street for 1/2 hour and expect it to be intact on your return. Got an ebay road bike and used that whilst I read the SS and then 29er boards. The idea was good, less to steal and at 6'3" and a bit would probably be a better fit.
The KM came up built as a SS with front disc, two sets of tires, a third rear wheel disc ready
and all the bits to run it as a gearie when ever I felt the need. At $750 it was too good to pass on. Every now and then when I hit a flat my finger ghost flicks twice to give me more crank
but I am lovin the SS ride I will keep it as is until the trails get too hard and tech to climb.
Once again today it ate up the rolling singletrack on SI and had me grinning
from ear to ear :D
If I could just find someone else to pedal with it would be perfect!

Gumby

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Good poll, Cloxxki

If early returns are any indication, the percentage of 29"ers on this board riding with gears is higher than I expected. Just about 50% saying geared 26" before, geared 29" now. Like Cloxxki, I would have guessed less than that.

Me, I converted to SS on my 26"er a couple years ago, then finally went 29" late last year. What actually led me to the 29" world was finding myself amazed by how my cyclocross bike rolled over stuff. I experimented with running a 700x45 Smoke on the front of the 'crosser and liked what that did (well, except the tremendous RR of that particular tire). I decided that if I the roll-ability of big diameter could be combined with the cush of big width (OK, still waiting for that, somewhat) it'd really be something. And it is.

·
rider
808 Posts
Was a gearie only. Plenty of 26" MTB's. The only 700c's I rode were on road bikes for many years. Bought a Surly Crosscheck and got my 700's a little wider. I then saw a sweet deal on a Spot SS 29er, bought it and love it. Now I've added an Aslum (geared) to the 29er quiver. I'm still racing the 26" bikes but might change that some day soon.

·
Registered
147 Posts
building my first but have never ridden one before....

i used to take a cross bike off road some, and really dug the the way it rolled over everything. also like putting around on the old db overdrive back in the day but never rode it off road (shop emp bike where i worked). i like my road bikes high tech and my mtb's very simple. so now im down for a few months after having my bicep surgically reattached (it pulled lose) and thought...gee, the only kind of mtb ive never owned is one of these 29er's. so i read what you guys had to say, and decided to make a project for myself to keep my sanity while i healed. duallies turned me off of riding, and i hate the high maintainace involved on all the sus forks and rear sus on the market, and it is involving if you really use it, at least in west virginia, where nine months a year it is rocks and mud. i don;t like having to put air in my bike parts, tires excluded, either. single speeding left me wanting easier gears so i wouldn't have to push the super steep hills around here. so, my geared karate monkey is in the works. ive built the wheels, with my left hand only. got the parts i wanted, and some that just came my way, and will start putting er' together tomorrow. won't be able to ride it for another month, but i'll be thinking about it a lot, i bet. that's the story. and thanks everyone, for posting info on this board, it has really helped me make some choices.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Rode my geared Chameleon for a year and a half. Bought a '04 Fisher 293, stripped off all the Bonty and low end Shimano parts with the XTR comps. from the chameleon.......Then sold the Chameleon. I have since added a 26" SS Surly. NO 29" SS for me.

mtnbikej

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.