Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Me ride.
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While not a mountain bike, a guy brought his commuter into our shop today with 2 flat tires (700cx25). He had a flat before on the rear.

He was riding on a greenway and crossed a bridge which was maybe an inch above the pavement when he got 2 flats.

There was no tire damage, and the wheel is still true and the spokes still tensioned. There were no burrs found in the rim.

Upon inspecting it, I noticed that there was a small tear in the rim strip next to a spoke hole on the rear wheel.

The tube damage looks like a standard "spoke got loose and backed out into the tube."

But look at the pic. Next to the spoke hole, there is another hole, caused by...something. We can't figure out what. It was jagged, and had to be filed down. It was like something forced itself out.

We could find no debris inside the rim. The space between the 2 holes inside the rim is hollow.

He purchased the bike new from Amazon last year, very similar to this model, which has deep V alloy rims.
https://www.amazon.com/Populo-Bikes-Fixed-Single-Speed/dp/B01KIG2F3K

Any ideas on what the source of the hole may be? Could it be a factory error during the manufacture of the rim?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Could have been crappy QC, but typically, those holes are from a deep puncture (screw/nail). I've seen it a few times.

I would ask them if they had ever gotten a nail through the tire.

·
turtles make me hot
11,680 Posts
Maybe the bike owner tried to swap a tire himself once and gouged the rim with a screwdriver or whatever other implement of destruction he may have had?

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,839 Posts
The tube damage looks like a standard "spoke got loose and backed out into the tube."
Spokes go the other direction (away from the tube) when they back out or get loose.

The only way spokes get into the tube is if they're too long or over tightened.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,456 Posts
That rim strip is 1/2 a days wages where they build those bikes. Think about how much YOU make in 1/2 a day, and hell yeah, put that thing on the rim, nobody will ever know its there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.