Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my LBS tells me my shifter is broken as it shows the chain is on the smallest cog, but the chain will not move to the two smallest cogs.

four miles into my ride last night i noticed a problem and was able to take it in today.

am i going to be stuck with the cost of a replacement or is shimano pretty good about warranties through the shop where the item was originally purchased and installed? the shifter is less than one year old and only has about five hundred miles on it.

thoughts?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If it's shifting all the rest of the gears and you didn't touch anything, my guess would be you shifted a good few gears, while not pedaling and the cable got caught/kinked inside the shifter and so won't go all the way back out. Retrive bike from incompetent shop, remove shifter,, try removing cable the proper way out the side of the shifter, if that doesn't work undo screws and remove cover(s). Install new cable, adjust, shift. :skep:

·
the half breed devil
4,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, the cable might be kinked inside the shifter; that's a good answer to one of my questions.

i've only taken the bike to the shop this afternoon, he's not had a chance to take a good look at it. to insult a mechanic who has worked on my bikes for ten years is uncalled for.

to assume i wrench my own bikes to the point of disassembling shifters and insinuate i'm a moron because i don't is presumptuous and mean-spirited.

·
the half breed devil
4,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is in fact broken then it is covered under the two year warranty.
yeah, i've read that.

the shop was really busy when i was there, so i just had to leave it there until they find out.

back on the hardtail for a bit...

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I wouldn't even try to "fix" it. Get it warrantied. I had a ZEE that broke. The ratched inside broke apart. Place I bought it from warrantied it. In my own experience with the M8000 shifter...it just doesn't shift that great to begin with.

With that said...I've got an 11sp XT for sale. Never seen dirt. Only action the shifter has seen is on the bike stand and ridden down the street.:ihih:

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
thing is, it is super rare for the shifters to have any problems. they just work and seemingly forever...hence the suspicion about the symptoms

·
since 4/10/2009
34,598 Posts
am i going to be stuck with the cost of a replacement or is shimano pretty good about warranties through the shop where the item was originally purchased and installed? the shifter is less than one year old and only has about five hundred miles on it.

thoughts?
I've had some shimano stuff warrantied before. not even by the shop who installed it or who I bought it from, necessarily. they've been pretty good about that for me. though in my case, it was VERY clear that the problem was a warranty problem and not something else. I simply don't know how they'll respond in your case.

that said, their road shifters for years have had problems with the cable ends breaking off inside the shifter. Something about how when the cable is pulled, the end also gets twisted a little bit or something like that. After lots and lots and lots of shifts, the end can break off and be a royal b!tch to remove. The way to prevent it is to pay a LOT of attention to cable replacement intervals and replace the shift cable before any shift problems arise. I don't recall any of these shifters getting warrantied by the shops where I worked, though it generally takes long enough to happen that I'd bet all those shifters were no longer covered by any kind of warranty. I do remember the mechanics putting on reading glasses (just for the magnification) and poking at lots of shifters with ground-down spokes with lots of cussing as they attempted to revive the shifter to avoid a costly replacement.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I wouldn't even try to "fix" it. Get it warrantied. I had a ZEE that broke. The ratched inside broke apart. Place I bought it from warrantied it. In my own experience with the M8000 shifter...it just doesn't shift that great to begin with.

With that said...I've got an 11sp XT for sale. Never seen dirt. Only action the shifter has seen is on the bike stand and ridden down the street.:ihih:
So, nobody knows what's wrong with the shifter yet, and he should warranty it? I've seen dozens of shifters with cable issues act like his. My bet is they replace the cable and he's good to go.

·
the half breed devil
4,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, nobody knows what's wrong with the shifter yet, and he should warranty it? I've seen dozens of shifters with cable issues act like his. My bet is they replace the cable and he's good to go.
shop just called. shimano will warranty the shifter.

good on shimano.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.