Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
9 lives
16,142 Posts
"Very crowded" in our area since the beginning of the pandemic. We've also experienced intermittent lengthy lockdowns so people are looking for things to do outdoors. The well known trails are crawling with mountain bikers, families (walkers, hikers, usually with kids and dogs), groups of friends, trail runners etc Parking lots are packed all day especially on weekends. I avoid riding in those areas (I don't like crowded trails) The best time to use the trails especially the crowded ones is during the weekdays or very early morning.

I ride the unpopular trails with my husband... we fortunately don't encounter a soul and it's been a pleasant experience for us. I also enjoy doing long distance road and trail running and it's a familiar sight seeing vehicles carrying bikes heading to the trails; hiking trails are littered with garbage (including a wide array of drink containers, fast food bags, Styrofoam containers, toilet paper, energy gels wrappers etc) and if there are waste receptacles available at the trailhead, there is usually garbage strewn around it.

We have seen a steady increase in trail use over the years (both places that allow non- motorized vehicles (mtb, hikers, horses etc) and motorized vehicles (dirt bikes, ATVs ) but the biggest surge in use has been over the past year. It may die down as businesses open, the heat and bugs driving some of the current users away. While it's good that some people have discovered new, healthy activities because of the pandemic, I'm not sure if the interest will be sustainable.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Also a certain Western Slope Colorado popular town person here..... if you know where to go, there's no one. I greatly prefer it that way. Or deal with the tourists/families/dog walkers for the first couple of miles then it clears out. One popular trail has a Strava segment called "Yield to Everyone" and it is perfectly named. Town trails after work are a little more busy, but we have so many trails that people spread out well generally speaking.

Now, the general traffic to get through town...so much more congested. Every other car is out of state, or a giant camper, or a gang of motorcycles. I came within inches of being rear-ended yesterday (with my bike on the rear rack), random tourists driving 40 in a 60mph zone, and one tourist that flipped a U-turn on a 60mph zone right into oncoming cars. Ugh.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pretty crowded. This year I'm seeing more people on not-so-appropriate bikes (like old hybrids or whatever) without helmets etc. Not sure if those people are in it for the long haul.

I generally go early on Saturday morning and it's not bad. Memorial day weekend was very crowded though.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts