Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an XS frame for my son who is 4-10 (147+cm). I tested him out on that same bike in a size small that one of his coaches has (Rocky Mountain Altitude 2018). I think both the small and XS have the same standover as they don't change the top-tube like Santa Cruz/others do where they kink it near the intersection with the seat tube. I'm just wondering how big of a deal that higher top-tube standover is. My kid is growing like a weed, and I am really leaning towards 26" wheels on the bike...which I think would drop the standover .75in.

Here's a pic of the same frame in XS.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Pic of the frame in a medium I think:
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

This is a 2019 XS Bronson (has same travel/geo setup for the most part)
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ugh, yeah I agree with Lee 1000% and have chatted with him about this and setup my own bike to follow that. His opinion on kids fitment doesn't really exist tho and when I asked him about it he didn't have really an opinion (he may not have kids).

Nevertheless I'm still trying to follow his general principals and keep the bike length manageable, hence the Gen3 Bronson as an example and the 2018-2021 Altitude as they were solidly sized imo. BUT the Bronson really does a nice job of keeping the standover really low. Its easy for the kid to get on that thing today and be fairly flat footed. I can't find a cheap-ish Bronson Gen3 frame in XS tho. The rocky bike is basically a nice clone of it but the standover is higher. Wondering if that's something significant or not. The kid will grow but I also have a second kid that isn't as much of a weed.

Edit: I spoke with a pro guy that said its of medium important. On flat ground, not a huge deal...but it can a big deal at times when trying to get on and off on legit steeps.

I don't do stand over. this.........

·
Registered
246 Posts
When we first got our XS bike I was really worried. We did some pretty gnarly and steep climbs and descents. It was a non factor. I was worried about him getting high centered and falling down into some ravine because he couldn't get his foot down. From what I know about your kids he will have zero problems. The biggest adjustment was jumping. He couldn't clear some of the stuff he could on his smaller bike. He did some pretty tough tech descents and climbs and didn't put his foot down. Gearing, bigger wheels, etc well made up for any other transition issues.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could he put his feet down ok at first or did he have to use his toes? Your pivot might have a lower top-tube. Either way, sounds like it was a non-issue. The 26" wheels that I'm likely getting will mitigate it.

Thanks for the looking out. Hard to commit to buying something and still having to experiment.

When we first got our XS bike I was really worried. We did some pretty gnarly and steep climbs and descents. It was a non factor. I was worried about him getting high centered and falling down into some ravine because he couldn't get his foot down. From what I know about your kids he will have zero problems. The biggest adjustment was jumping. He couldn't clear some of the stuff he could on his smaller bike. He did some pretty tough tech descents and climbs and didn't put his foot down. Gearing, bigger wheels, etc well made up for any other transition issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.