Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I guess no one has seen something like this before. That's good news!

almontebarnes said:
I don't understand how the lower could rotate separately from the upper. Unless all the bearings and the bearing carriers completely disintegrated. And then it would have given ample warning. Weird.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Ha! I just fixed that one. I guess it's my first famous fork:D

Funny thing was, I couldn't wrap my head around it, till I saw the video, then it was like, "oh, that's bad....":yikes:

The Max's have a threaded collar at the bottom of the upper leg. It came unscrewed, and blew the bearing cages to smithereens. Lesson learned? Service more regularly, or at a minimum, check that collar for tightness. I Loctite them, but nothing is tight forever.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey there... IIRC, you prefer the threaded collar versus the circlip that was introduced with the DLR2 (or was it actually with the original Carbon?). The circlip is a PITA to remove. But do you it is safer? At least in the hands of the really neglectful?

MendonCycleSmith said:
Ha! I just fixed that one. I guess it's my first famous fork:D

Funny thing was, I couldn't wrap my head around it, till I saw the video, then it was like, "oh, that's bad....":yikes:

The Max's have a threaded collar at the bottom of the upper leg. It came unscrewed, and blew the bearing cages to smithereens. Lesson learned? Service more regularly, or at a minimum, check that collar for tightness. I Loctite them, but nothing is tight forever.

·
16,486 Posts
danoalb said:
Mendon can the pbr130's do this also?
Any Lefty CAN, but not quite like this. The cap unthreading is invisible to the naked eye. The carbon, and bonded alloy Lefty's use an internal snap ring, which can be pulled out during bearing reset, particularly if there's a leak, so it's all oily, or if the bearing preload is really light, and you're really smacking it to reset. I see that perhaps 3 or 4 times a year, I get a box of loose parts from a very scared customer:eek:

Fortunately, it's an easy fix though.

·
16,486 Posts
almontebarnes said:
Hey there... IIRC, you prefer the threaded collar versus the circlip that was introduced with the DLR2 (or was it actually with the original Carbon?). The circlip is a PITA to remove. But do you it is safer? At least in the hands of the really neglectful?
Correct, the circlip is just on the newer forks. The older carbons had an altogether different system.

Safer? Not really. Just different, and yeah, the circlip is a PITA. :madman:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.