Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a shock pump and I'm debating between the standard Manitou or the Manitou SPV. I'm running a minute 2 in front and a Manitou QR in back on my cross country rig. I like the ability to fine tune which is why the SPV appeals to me, but I don't want to buy it if I'm going to need to inflate to higher pressure. I don't know what kind of pressures I've got right now because I always let the bike shop handle it, but I'm ready to start fine tuning on my own.

Thanks for your thoughts. Also, there are no bike shops in town that have one, so if anyone knows where I can get a good deal on the internet, let me know.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Flyfisherman said:
I need a shock pump and I'm debating between the standard Manitou or the Manitou SPV. I'm running a minute 2 in front and a Manitou QR in back on my cross country rig. I like the ability to fine tune which is why the SPV appeals to me, but I don't want to buy it if I'm going to need to inflate to higher pressure. I don't know what kind of pressures I've got right now because I always let the bike shop handle it, but I'm ready to start fine tuning on my own.

Thanks for your thoughts. Also, there are no bike shops in town that have one, so if anyone knows where I can get a good deal on the internet, let me know.
What's your frame and how much do you weight?

_MK

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
It all depends on your suspension design and rider weight. I ride a Trance w/ a FOX FloatR and I run it at around 200 PSI and I weigh around 185-190 kitted out.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Unfortunately it's not unusual to find out you need 2 or 3 pumps if you're really into air suspension for bikes depending on the forks and shocks involved. Over 175 psi for a rear shock is not unusual at all.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I wonder how that 400 psi guage works on a 20 psi low pressure air fork, like some Marz forks? I'd think a high tech digital gauge and pump would be a great idea...and if someone has found a good working combination, it would be great. Most analog guages at 400 and even 300 psi are almost useless at pressures below 50 psi.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I've got a low pressure shock pump and a high pressure shock pump so I can reasonably work with the various shocks I've got. I agree with TNC there's a place in the market for a pump that's accurate at both levels, I sure haven't found it, don't know how hard that is to do or if it's because many of the shock pumps are provided are to the shock manufacturer who sees no reason to pay more than what the minimum is for their product?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.