Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing my weekly browsing on Ebay for deals and steals and I've come across a few bikes "So New the stickers aren't even on" and also the Headbadge must have fallen out of the box. Seeing this and thinking would I really know if the bike was a Titus, Turner or whatever. Anyone else run across this? Just curious.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
it's posible. I suggest that you post the ebay link on one of the forums here and have it verified by the experts. Like if you were looking at a vintage ritchey frame, post it on the vintage / retro forum and those guys will set you straight. For a new titus use the titus forum. You get the idea.

While ebay has lots of bad deals there are good ones hidden in there. I got a titus frame off ebay for a killer price. It came direct from the factory with the warrantee. It was last yeas model but who cares, the bike is mint.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Ummmm, many brands don't make their own frames and its not unusual for the factories which do make them, to sell the same frames to other brands. You can find Kona and Iron Horse models including the top end DW-linked Mk3s and Hollowpoints sold under other brand names. Remember, many of these brands ONLY have US Patents, so their "special this" and "that" aren't protected against versions intended to be sold in other countries.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
That sure looks like a turner. I'd post in the turner forum and let the experts look it over and make sure it's authentic. But how did he get it with no decals and no grease on the pivots. Wouldn't this be something that is done at the factory before shipping? Maybe its a used frame that has been repainted. Looks like a steal. I wonder where the biding will take it.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Ummmm, a lot of brands will ship frames without decals attached or headtube badges.

G

·
DeeEight said:
Ummmm, a lot of brands will ship frames without decals attached or headtube badges.
give me some clear examples.

i've never seen a shop apply decals or headbadges here in san francisco.

both ibis alibis i've owned had the graphics and head badges applied, and i purchased one of them from the factory. my superlight arrived at the shop with all of its decals; i took them off after it was built.

and many manufacturers clear coat over the graphics nowadays anyway.

maybe one might SPECIAL ORDER a frame without badges or graphics, but that's another can of worms.

again, give me an example of where a manufacturer ships a bike or frame to a BIKE SHOP without head tube badges and/or decals and i'll shut up.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
a friend of mine

DeeEight said:
bought a road bike from somebody that was sans stickers. the guy selling it worked at the paint shop that contracted wtih the manufacturer. The manufacturer rejected some frames so the guy at the shop sold them. He told my friend who the manufacturer was but there's no marking or anything stating who that was.

YR

·
Registered
140 Posts
hmm. the welds look very similar/identical to the pictures of the fivespot on the turner website. that seems like it would be the giveaway, especially as boutique frame builders advertise their "precision welds" as a major reason to buy instead of big-brand companies.

I am by no means a turner expert, though...I wouldn't be surprised is someone from the Turner forum chimes in and refutes me.

A sure way would be to ask for the serial number and then call the company/factory and verify it.

G

·
yeti rider, that all makes sense. i know for sure that ibis used to send frames to a paint shop, or at least take thier time painting then-lord only knows it took long enough to get my second one.

but what you desribed is more or less a "special circumstance" and i'm still not convinced that some manufacturers ship bikes to DEALERS (consumers, shops) unclad, as described in a previous post.

·
Registered
751 Posts
DeeEight said:
that doesn't sound right at all. don't most companies apply some sort of clearcoat or other process over the stickers so they won't just peel off? i can't imagine they would do that in a shop...

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
There's a thread about that bike on the Turner forum. No doubt, it is a true Spot, but the origins of the frame is pretty dubious. Check it out. Finish doesn't match up what it's supposed to be in that it was spray painted, including the rear and over the grease zerks.
see it's probably an old frame with new paint

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yeah, looks like someone trying to pass off a respray as brand new. I wonder why the seller didn't apply the stickers himself? It would have looked a little less dodgy. Might not be such a bargain either in the end, a day is a long time on e-bay! I'd ask some questions about the origin of the frame and why it doesn't have stickers and head badge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.