Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Professional Crastinator
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would be pretty useful.

I understand that if there was a key or a flat, that you'd very likely break your handlebar off in a crash (instead of knocking your stem crooked). But come on - maybe a little plastic pin in a hole or something? Or something you can remove once the stem is clamped?

Is there some reason NOT to align every stem straight on every bike?
(I'm sure someone with one arm will chime in here to set me straight ;) )

-F

·
since 4/10/2009
31,491 Posts
Why not do it yourself? Use a sharpie. Once you get your stem and steerer aligned how you want, use a sharpie to make marks on the inside surfaces. This way, you just match up the lines to get your steering aligned again.

And yes, there are situations where someone might align the handlebars a little at an angle. Some people do have one arm significantly shorter than the other and they might want to be able to do such a thing.

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
The dumbing down of society has made us all so lazy. Not saying anything about this subject or the OP but as a general viewpoint...

Hey flea! It's to keep your eyes exercised! ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with the OP. I've often thought the same thing. Splines are provided on BB spindles to align crank arms correctly. Why not something similar on steer tubes and stems?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
The common way is to line the stem up with the tire. I believe a better way is to line up the handlebar with the axle. This gives you two reference points....makes it easier for me.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The spline on the bb is different because it's solid metal. To add enough material to the steerer tube to make it strong enough, with the grooves of the spline, I'd have to think that it would make it structurally weak if it wasn't 4x as heavy. I don't mind lining it up myself I've never had a problem. Just put the seat down and stand over it and line it up. Next, people will want splines in the seat tube lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Professional Crastinator
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...Next, people will want splines in the seat tube lol
Yeah, that's my next thing. :)

But to those who say splines - splines are for torque transmission. You don't want THAT much torque being applied to your steerer tube. You want the stem to slip if you ride it into the ground, or something will break.

How 'bout just a little ball detent, like the ball on a ratchet that retains the socket? Low weight. Simple. Maintenance-free(?) If you oriented it to the front, the stem would need only the smallest modification. It would not interfere with "non-ball-detent-system" stems. Maybe make it part of the star nut. You need a little clearance above the steerer tube anyway.

But then we'd have to have another "standard"...

-F

PS - It's not like it's a big deal, but I think it would be a nice feature.

·
Just here for the scenery
354 Posts
But then we'd have to have another "standard"...
One of the 'Big S' companies would hold a press conference to announce their alignment feature, giving it a razzle-dazzle name unrelated to its function, accompanied by paragraphs of prose containing multiple instances of "shred" "gnar" "roost" and "flow" but failing to actually describe what the feature does or how it works.

Two weeks later the other "Big S" would release THEIR alignment feature with similar full-employment-for-marketing-majors fanfare... and the tab or slot or hole or whatever does the work would be ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE of the steer tube.

Six months later the container ships would pull into port and the cheap knockoff parts would flood the market... with tolerances so sloppily copied from the originals that stems would be permanently fixed to steerers at small annoying angles.

So, nice idea, but... just, no. This is why we can't have nice things. :madman:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I'm all about simple. It's not like you pass people on the trail who are riding with handlebars that are 15 degrees off, because it's physically impossible to align the stem. It just takes a tiny bit of time. One less substandard. We already have to many headsets and steering equipment sizes. I hope nobody from a company reads this and gets the terrible idea to make our lives harder

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you're extremely dominant in one eye, or have diminished vision in one eye your alignment will always look slightly off to someone with balanced vision. When working on a customer bike and having to mess with the stem alignment, I usually let the customer align it for themselves when they come pick up the bike. When they are happy with it, I tighten down the bolts and off they go. More often than not, what one person sees as ruler straight is just a touch off for someone else.

·
The joy of ski is Yours
1,367 Posts
Was the expected response supposed to be somewhere between welcome and vital? Sorry to be the stark negative to OP but this idea is ridiculous. Costly.

Fluted - nevermind that it'd never seat and the headset would have itself come loose after two or three rides -- ideally stem torque should be enough to allow breakaway in a huge crash, to absorb some energy.

So - dunno sport - get your eyes checked yearly.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts