Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just find it interesting how the whole 29er thing has turned into a different version of a mountain bike ( just with bigger wheels)

Mine is a Willits and set it up according to the early blueprint: drop bars, STI 105 levers and Shimano V-Brakes sans any flippin' wheelamajiggy unit....... (Brooks saddle a must! - for both comfort and aesthetic)

Never looked back and definetly not interested in flat bars with no alternative hand postion for seriously long rides.

The beauty of the Bigwheel bikes is in riding EVERYWHERE - including having it 'full dress' and ready for racks and adventure touring...( as well as smoking the newbies with full suspension on the narrow trail)


I am pleased to see the passion for the superior geometry.... and not criticizing anyones setup ( you like what you like) ...

just curious if anybody else out there rides to the beat of a different cogset?

stay upright

ps- yeah i know about x-bikes.... but they dont offer the wider tire for off roading with gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
Lots of folks on here rock the drops. Or at least I've seen pictures of their steeds on the 29er forum. Shiggy (don't know him personally) is a big proponent of drop bars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,986 Posts
I raced in a vintage MTB race a couple of weekends ago, and here's a race pic. It's not a 29er, but it does have drops.

The drops are great for riding, particularly on downhills. However, in the end, I find that a flat bar with bar ends gives me more useable positions though.

 

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,017 Posts
I have them on the KM commuter. Just not a good fit though, on a bike that fits with regular MTB bars. For most ridin, a longer, straight and ~40º swept grip section works better for me. Hey, just like most comfort bikes out there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
yo!
I've been trying to upload pics for the past 10 minutes and it keeps telling me

"your connection to the server has been reset" it has a "try again" button, but it says the same thing...

Any tips on how to do it? I haven't uploaded pictures to posts before.

c-tone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
I've been riding drops offroad for a few years now and won't go back to flat bars. For me it's just a much more comfortable and secure riding position. I don't need lots of hand positions as I'm so comfy in the drops. However I do enjoy sitting up on the tops and cruising, and use the hoods from time to time as well. The worst thing about drop bars is the lack of disc brake options. I've just finished a big brake upgrade - carbon record levers, nokons mated to avid flak jackets, and road bb7s. Braking feel is MUCH nicer than the old setup of mtn bb7 and 287v levers with regular cables.

Sam



Singular Cycles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
I loves me some drop bars!

The only reason I don't use a pair now is it is really hard to get them high enough without a bike built around the idea. I had a pair of WTB's on my Karate Monkey but not even 40 degree stem mounted atop a steerer tube extension would allow me to stay in the drops as long as I would like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,910 Posts
Go Kart Motzart said:
I loves me some drop bars!

The only reason I don't use a pair now is it is really hard to get them high enough without a bike built around the idea. I had a pair of WTB's on my Karate Monkey but not even 40 degree stem mounted atop a steerer tube extension would allow me to stay in the drops as long as I would like.
I like running the flats near saddle level, but that means that when I'm in the hooks I'm hunched down too far for hard singletrack use. It's good for cruising though.

To get them high enough to have the hands in the hooks at saddle level means all kinds of weirdness. Once you add the steerer extension and boner stem your bike looks as if you should have a flea-ridden dog riding on your homemade trailer, plus a cardboard sign that says, "'Nam Veteran. Plese hellp."
 

·
.......................
Joined
·
3,049 Posts
Nat said:
To get them high enough to have the hands in the hooks at saddle level means all kinds of weirdness. Once you add the steerer extension and boner stem your bike looks as if you should have a flea-ridden dog riding on your homemade trailer, plus a cardboard sign that says, "'Nam Veteran. Plese hellp."
Yeah, you and Duurduur can make fun of my bike as I fade into the distance. :prft: :thumbsup:

Personally, I think my bike looks best with a bent chainring.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
BigWheel28 said:
i just find it interesting how the whole 29er thing has turned into a different version of a mountain bike ( just with bigger wheels)

Mine is a Willits and set it up according to the early blueprint: drop bars, STI 105 levers and Shimano V-Brakes sans any flippin' wheelamajiggy unit....... (Brooks saddle a must! - for both comfort and aesthetic)

Never looked back and definetly not interested in flat bars with no alternative hand postion for seriously long rides.

The beauty of the Bigwheel bikes is in riding EVERYWHERE - including having it 'full dress' and ready for racks and adventure touring...( as well as smoking the newbies with full suspension on the narrow trail)

I am pleased to see the passion for the superior geometry.... and not criticizing anyones setup ( you like what you like) ...

just curious if anybody else out there rides to the beat of a different cogset?

stay upright

ps- yeah i know about x-bikes.... but they dont offer the wider tire for off roading with gear.
You are new here, aren't you? (see my signature about dropbars)
 

·
Ouch, I am hot!
Joined
·
4,765 Posts
ionsmuse said:
Yeah, you and Duurduur can make fun of my bike as I fade into the distance. :prft: :thumbsup:

Personally, I think my bike looks best with a bent chainring.
I am a slow, slog like pile of goo. However, Fernando Lamas said it best - "I look marvelous".

And, I too like bent chainrings.

Looking at some of these drop bar pics is making my back hurt.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top