Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am extremelty lucky to live in East Hamilton (!!) I only have to ride on 400 metres of pavement to get to the Red Hill Valley multi use trail that leads to some not bad (and improving) single track and the Bruce Trail about 2 kilometres away. I should be riding it every day, but drive to Kelso or Hilton Falls once a week instead. Gas costs and time required make the local stuff look a lot better lately, plus if a person was to spend some time workiing on the trails, they could be close to great.

Anybody else having a closer look at the trails you can ride to instead of drive to???

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Well, I live all over the place.

Niagara Falls - hometown. 8km of road riding gets me to some dirt. ~19km of riding (or driving) gets me to some great dirt.

Ancaster - home during the academic year. <5km from dirt.

Toronto - this summer's co-op job. No good dirt within riding distance. Several places are within 40 minutes of driving if traffic is good. But, it takes a long time for the commuter traffic to clear up, so that makes these drives take quite a bit longer than they should if i want to leave before 6:30.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I live in mississauga, so hilton falls and agreement forest is only about 30-40 min drive depending on the traffic. It's my favorite place to ride and I ride there every sunday, once in a while I'll go to puslinch lake which I like also. I live very close to credit river and erindale area and there is some nice singletracks to be found around the area, another place is etobicoke creek trails which are within a bike riding distance for me. Mississauga is not that bad of a place to live, biking is excellent around here if you know the area.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
I'm just a few minutes to Buckwallow,

Hahne Farm / Cornell Lake,

and Taboo,

Maybe 15 minutes to the BRMC,

The Old Stone Road,

and The Devil's Gap,

and all of about 25 minutes to the Torrance Barrens...

Its a tough life, but somebody has to live it! :thumbsup:

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
15 minutes to Kolapore, 20 minutes to 3-Stage, 25 to Blue Mountain. Or I can ride out the door and poach the Bruce Trail as far as I like in either direction!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Black Canoe Dog!! Beauty pics, here I am thinking I'm lucky living in the Hammer, looks like you're real close to heaven there!!(except for the chair) Must be a tough life!!
Are you guys quoting driving times or riding times to the trails?? (that was the question in the original post - can you ride to the trails or do you have to drive?)
I am also lucky that I work in Milton, am a short 9 km ride from Kelso, but I usually wimp out and drive there from work.

·
dirt roadie
468 Posts
11km to where I could start at the Short Hills, or 17km to where I like to start on the trails.
18km from my work.
Since the trails are a big detour on my way home from work I don't make the drive as often as I should. If the cost of gas continues to rise I may morph into a roadie :skep:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
langford said:
Black Canoe Dog!! Beauty pics, here I am thinking I'm lucky living in the Hammer, looks like you're real close to heaven there!! Must be a tough life!!
I know you're being sarcastic, but when i read that, i could not help but think of the picture B.C.D. posted this winter where the snow was as high as the front portch.

·
Registered
349 Posts
rkj__ said:
I know you're being sarcastic, but when i read that, i could not help but think of the picture B.C.D. posted this winter where the snow was as high as the front portch.
I like to seperate my riding with a white season of the other cross country.:thumbsup: And considering my size I can always use another upper body workout;) .

Stosh

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
langford said:
Black Canoe Dog!! Beauty pics, here I am thinking I'm lucky living in the Hammer, looks like you're real close to heaven there!! Must be a tough life!!
Are you guys quoting driving times or riding times to the trails?? (that was the question in the original post - can you ride to the trails or do you have to drive?)
I am also lucky that I work in Milton, am a short 9 km ride from Kelso, but I usually wimp out and drive there from work.
I quoted drive times, but can also ride to all the trails. For Buckwallow, Hahne Farm/Cornell Lake, and Taboo we often just ride from home.
The BRMC and Torrance Barrens we usually drive, but some times do we do a 44 K ride from home combining The Old Stone Rd and Torrance Barrens....

·
Live Free or Ride!
604 Posts
I live in Toronto. Takes about 20-30m to get to The Don. About 45m to get to Albion, Kelso, Hilton Falls, and about an hour for Durham/Glen Major/Walker Woods. Takes me about an hour and a half for The Hydrocut, Hardwood Hills, Kolapore/3-Stage. To be honest I never really think about the gas or time, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

·
Registered
780 Posts
About 5 minutes drive to good inland "XC" trails
About 15 minutes drive to the DH trails
15-30 minutes drive to various coastal trails.

When I move into my new house, I'll be able to access trails from my back yard. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.