Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at Stumpjumpers really long, but haven't had the opportunity to demo one since they're out of stock everywhere. So, what can you really do with a 130mm trail bike?
I need a do it all bike, and I mean it. My trails are mostly singletrack and dh, so I'm concerned about the bike's capabilities. Should I go for an Enduro? I have friends that ride dh trails on stumpjumpers and tell me it's nothing crazy... I also like riding street, so I truly need a bike that can handle it all.
Feel free to recommend other bikes that would fit my riding style and trails.

I'd like to hear your guys opinions!

·
Registered
994 Posts
IME it's a perfect trail bike. By "trail" I mean both easy and hard tech climbs + flowing/poppy singletrack along with aggressive descents.
If you're dh is like that of an avg Bike Park, then I'd probably go with the Evo, otherwise the SJ should suffice as it's an amazing balance/blend of "Trail" capabilities. (IMO).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
IME it's a perfect trail bike. By "trail" I mean both easy and hard tech climbs + flowing/poppy singletrack along with aggressive descents.
If you're dh is like that of an avg Bike Park, then I'd probably go with the Evo, otherwise the SJ should suffice as it's an amazing balance/blend of "Trail" capabilities. (IMO).
Thanks for the reply!
The dh trails are nothing too crazy, I have friends that ride them on 2015+ SJ's, but undoutebly, I do need some skill to ride that on a trail bike. There are some challenging sections with roots and rocks and there even is a roadgap, but I don't really plan on riding that kinda stuff.
Anyone had experience with a SJ? Are they worth it?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
The dh trails are nothing too crazy, I have friends that ride them on 2015+ SJ's, but undoutebly, I do need some skill to ride that on a trail bike. There are some challenging sections with roots and rocks and there even is a roadgap, but I don't really plan on riding that kinda stuff.
Anyone had experience with a SJ? Are they worth it?
I grabbed a 2021 SJ Carbon Comp in June as I luckily found one a few hrs away.
It was a little more than I wanted to spend and other bikes in it's price range came with a Fox 36 (some rhythm, others Performance).
At first, I felt the SJ was over priced as it's spec'd with just a 34 Rhythm, however now I feel the SLX groupset, SWAT box and overall design/capability make the bike an
actual bargain. IMO the Fork suits the bike fine (I'm 184lbs) and can be cheaply upgraded (If even desired) and the rear end/shock/Flex stay is quite unique and works magic on the trails (IMO).

·
Registered
357 Posts
What percentage of your riding do you do on singletrack and what percentage on the street? If you spend much time on paved streets then I recommend two separate bikes. Paved streets and downhill singletrack are so different that you would be making large compromises to do both with one bike.
How rocky/rough is your singletrack? Smooth flowing terrain or chunky and rooty?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What percentage of your riding do you do on singletrack and what percentage on the street? If you spend much time on paved streets then I recommend two separate bikes. Paved streets and downhill singletrack are so different that you would be making large compromises to do both with one bike.
How rocky/rough is your singletrack? Smooth flowing terrain or chunky and rooty?
Around 75% singletrack and 25% street, I ride street when I get bored with my friends, or when commuting through the city but I don't ride hard stuff. The worst thing I do to my bike is jump off/over stuff, nothing taller than 3 feet, also not often. My trails are not that rough, there are a few rocky/rooty sections but they're not long. It depends on what trail I take, there are flowy ones, and then there's the dh one. All have some light jumps/drops too. The dh singletrack is about 6.5/10 for chunkiness, I rode it on a hardtail myself. While it's not the smoothest experience, it is manageable. Although I need the right tool for the job. An Enduro probably would handle everything best, but I don't like having to carry around that extra travel everywhere I go. It's overkill for like 2/3 of my trails. I think a Stumpy would be great to start with, could later move over to an Enduro or SJ evo if I needed more travel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I grabbed a 2021 SJ Carbon Comp in June as I luckily found one a few hrs away.
It was a little more than I wanted to spend and other bikes in it's price range came with a Fox 36 (some rhythm, others Performance).
At first, I felt the SJ was over priced as it's spec'd with just a 34 Rhythm, however now I feel the SLX groupset, SWAT box and overall design/capability make the bike an
actual bargain. IMO the Fork suits the bike fine (I'm 184lbs) and can be cheaply upgraded (If even desired) and the rear end/shock/Flex stay is quite unique and works magic on the trails (IMO).
Nice!
How are you satisfied with performance?
I need a bike that can keep up as my riding progresses.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The worst thing I do to my bike is jump off/over stuff, nothing taller than 3 feet, also not often. My trails are not that rough, there are a few rocky/rooty sections but they're not long.
I have an older (2014) SJ that is just about perfect for what you're describing. It'll do 6' drops all day long if you don't huck it to flat. IMO, the Enduro is just a little too much bike if you're not regularly doing bigger drops or blasting through long DH sections filled with chunk.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The only thing I've found my 21 Stumpy carbon not capable of are shuttle days at ski resorts. Other than that, there's nothing it can't handle. Granted I'm not doing 4-5 foot drops, but there's really nothing that's caused me to wish I had more bike and we have a ton of elevation change around here. My biggest regret in a bike purchase before was having too much. Peddling a pig when you don't need it for 95 percent of the riding you do just makes it a miserable experience and no fun trying to keep up with others.

The mindset of most people is to buy a bike so they never feel like they'll need more, ultimately carrying way too much weight and suspension around for everyday riding. Need proof? They sell Enduro bikes in Florida where the elevation changes about 14 feet. 2 bikes, or renting on resort days would benefit most who are peddling Enduro rigs around their local XC trails.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,720 Posts
For what the OP describes, IMHO, the non-Evo SJ with its flex stays will be much better than the EVO with its Horst link for climbing and the occasional road duty, both of which will be much more tolerable. My daughter is ripping western Canada blacks on her 2021 SJ Comp (same bike as @OldMike). I have personally seen what that bike is capable of. We are in Fernie as I type (venturing away from our Canmore/Banff/Kananaskis stomping grounds), ready to go rip it up on some blacks today on her SJ and my Druid.

I want a Stupjumper badly myself - the exact same bike - the SJ Carbon Comp with that complete SLX groupset. That bike is so sensibly spec'ed, IMHO. It's a perfect balance between climbing and descending, function and bling, and being able to be excited about your bike without pi$$ing off your accountant/banker.

In my estimation, the SJ is an incredible all rounder, unless it plans to see a lot of shuttle duty.

@BikGer2 - read this:

"There also wasn't anything I didn't ride on the Specialized that I did do on the other bikes, but there were plenty of big rides where I'd much rather be on the lighter, sportier, more well-rounded Stumpy."

·
Registered
84 Posts
For what the OP describes, IMHO, the non-Evo SJ with its flex stays will be much better than the EVO with its Horst link for climbing and the occasional road duty, both of which will be much more tolerable. My daughter is ripping western Canada blacks on her 2021 SJ Comp (same bike as @OldMike). I have personally seen what that bike is capable of. We are in Fernie as I type (venturing away from our Canmore/Banff/Kananaskis stomping grounds), ready to go rip it up on some blacks today on her SJ and my Druid.

I want a Stupjumper badly myself - the exact same bike - the SJ Carbon Comp with that complete SLX groupset. That bike is so sensibly spec'ed, IMHO. It's a perfect balance between climbing and descending, function and bling, and being able to be excited about your bike without pi$$ing off your accountant/banker.

In my estimation, the SJ is an incredible all rounder, unless it plans to see a lot of shuttle duty.

@BikGer2 - read this:

"There also wasn't anything I didn't ride on the Specialized that I did do on the other bikes, but there were plenty of big rides where I'd much rather be on the lighter, sportier, more well-rounded Stumpy."
Very true. Own a 2021 SJ non evo. Best all around bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SJ Carbon Comp
I'm only concerned about one thing when it comes to the carbon comp build.
The hubs. I know they're nice and loud, it has a mt-410 front and mt-510 rear, but I'm not sure how reliable they are.
I had a bad experience with XT hubs trashed after just 2 seasons or riding, so idk if i trust Shimano for hubs anymore.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,720 Posts
The hubs. I know they're nice and loud, it has a mt-410 front and mt-510 rear, but I'm not sure how reliable they are.
I had a bad experience with XT hubs trashed after just 2 seasons or riding, so idk if i trust Shimano for hubs anymore.
To quote Voltaire (somewhat imperfectly), perfect is the enemy of good.

I checked out the hubs (and wheels) before I threw down. I was going to give my daughter my old We Are One wheelset. I was told by my LBS "no need".

So far so good. I like how they sound.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm closing in on 1k miles on mine. I'm 6'1 175. I stand and mash quite a bit and have blown hubs in the past as few as 200 miles. The Comp carbon hubs are still good. We haven't had rain since I bought the bike, so they've only been ridden in ultra dry condition's, but so far so good.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nice!
How are you satisfied with performance?
I need a bike that can keep up as my riding progresses.
At first I wasn't sure about the bike however after 50 rides I can say that the bike can handle more chunk than I can and also is rewarding for all other types of riding.
For me it's the right answer to 95% of my available riding (not necessarily what I ride).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts