Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bumped into Devin Lenz yesterday. He was on his Behemoth. I was on my Behemoth. He had Exi's on his bike. So did I.

I had a BW 1.3 on my bike.

He had a Fox 36 on his bike.

???

MC

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
As long as the tire fits in the lowers without rubbing the casting, one could probably use some plastic or aluminum spacers to limit the travel somehow, a la the Maverick forks. That's my guess. That thing has so much travel that even if one limited the stroke to prevent the tire from contacting the crown he'd still have one heck of a stiff and pretty light 29er fork with five or so inches of travel. It's still way too expensive IMO, even it can be rigged to fit a 29er.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Nah....someone didn't make a huge off-center front hub just to add length and tire clearance to an existing fork. That would be too smart, and an outrage that I hadn't come up with it first.
I say Photoshop!

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
shiggy said:
Very interesting! Would need a new caliper mount.
How is the hub center prevented from turning?
As for the caliper....is it possible that he's using a 7" rotor with a 6" caliper mount? Or 8 and 7? Something along those lines?

Man, this is getting weird. I love how Mike exits stage left just as things start to get unexplainable:)! Always one to leave us in suspense.

B

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
AteMrYeats said:
As long as the tire fits in the lowers without rubbing the casting, one could probably use some plastic or aluminum spacers to limit the travel somehow, a la the Maverick forks. That's my guess. That thing has so much travel that even if one limited the stroke to prevent the tire from contacting the crown he'd still have one heck of a stiff and pretty light 29er fork with five or so inches of travel. It's still way too expensive IMO, even it can be rigged to fit a 29er.
If the tire fits in the stock arch you should not need to reduce the travel of the fork.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
donkey said:
As for the caliper....is it possible that he's using a 7" rotor with a 6" caliper mount? Or 8 and 7? Something along those lines?

Man, this is getting weird. I love how Mike exits stage left just as things start to get unexplainable:)! Always one to leave us in suspense.

B
Hard to say. It is not clear how much the alignment change is.

This system would let the hub designer to change the fork rake.

I am wondering about the rotor mounting with the offset axle. Larger bolt circle diameter?

MC does know how to get the buzz started! ;)

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
shiggy said:
Hard to say. It is not clear how much the alignment change is.

This system would let the hub designer to change the fork rake.

I am wondering about the rotor mounting with the offset axle. Larger bolt circle diameter?

MC does know how to get the buzz started! ;)
You're probably right about the larger bolt circle diameter. That appears to be a Hope rotor and I recall that their "Bug Un" hubs require a large BCD 5 bolt rotor? Hmmm..

VERY interesting. It's still puzzling in terms of how this system is keeping the hub from slipping.

B

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Wouldn't some multi-part rotors allow to be taken apart and the outer, actual rotor, to be bolted directly to the hub?

Someone really wanted to use a Fox fork for what they don't plan to ever make one...
Looks to me like the axle is well over an inch off-center. Probably room for the same tire size as without the 29" conversion, 2.5-2.6?

Semi offtopic : if the new White Brother MAC system is what we expect it to be, what reason are we left with to want a Fox? Just for sponsorships sake? This is from someone who never rode one, thus doesn't understand the hype :)

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
shiggy said:
Very interesting! Would need a new caliper mount.
How is the hub center prevented from turning?
I am guessing that the axle is solid in the eccentric, not loose, so that when you tighten the thru-axle clamps it effectively locks the eccentric in whatever position it's in. That'd scare me though, you'd think it would slip.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Ahhhhhh!!!!

mikesee said:
Bumped into Devin Lenz yesterday. He was on his Behemoth. I was on my Behemoth. He had Exi's on his bike. So did I.

I had a BW 1.3 on my bike.

He had a Fox 36 on his bike.

???

MC
I am hyperventilating........

More info please :confused: :D :mad:

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
Every morning I get up and check to see if something new has been unveiled on the board and most mornings I am dissapointed...... but not today!

I would like to see a pic of the tire clearance at the arch.

Spill the beans Mike, how does it work?

And it can be "Pushed" for increased perormance.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Exactly

my concern. Further, the obviously place for it to rotate is upwards towards the arch, not downards.

Regardless, cool shyte.

So, did it ride better MC (assuming you rode it)? Given that you've been privy to Blackbox WB forks for a while your read would be mucho appreciated.

mward said:
That'd scare me though, you'd think it would slip.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.