Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wants a taco
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend i guess you could say i pushed way too hard in a race. It was a 25 mile sport race and i was cramping by mile 18. I finished the race in still an ok spot considering. Legs were sore as hell for the next 3 days but went out the next 2 days after the race and did some real light 45 min rides to try and get the blood flowing. Had to take a couple days off for traveling and today went out and did a moderatly paced 25 miles on the road bike with a couple short intervals to try and wake my legs up. they still have that slow to respond poopy feeling and im racing again sunday. Is there anything i can do tonight or tommorow to try and salvage my race sunday? Right now im thinking, lots of protien/water and tommorow doing a really light spin for 30 mins or even just playing around on the bmx bike at the skatepark for an hour or so and probably throw some stretching into the mix. other than that im out of ideas except hope for the best. any ideas to get that snappy feeling in my legs back would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
the feeling of really flat legs after a couple of days off is normal. don't be too worried about that. do the 30 minute to 1 hour preride the day before the race with 1 or 2 "openers". don't do any more than you have to physically though (like playing at the skatepark on the BMX).

hydrate well, that is really important. also don't forget the carbs, don't eat too much fat and avoid junk food.

you will probably do better than you think.

good luck.

·
Registered
667 Posts
two words

Ice Bath, i have sworn by them since i was in college during double days. Go get a big bag of ice at the store fill the tub to the top of your leg height with cool water and the ice and sit in there for 10-15 minutes. You will feel like hell in the tub but great a couple hours later.

·
H.E.R
158 Posts
darth tracer said:
Ice Bath, i have sworn by them since i was in college during double days. Go get a big bag of ice at the store fill the tub to the top of your leg height with cool water and the ice and sit in there for 10-15 minutes. You will feel like hell in the tub but great a couple hours later.
I second the ice bath, I just started taking ice baths not to long ago. . After running 10 miles in around 57 to 58 min my legs were hurting pretty bad days after so I decided to try an ice bath, sure felt way better afterwards. I use reusable ice packs, fill the tub up with cold water throw in the ice packs wait a few minutes then jump in.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'd say you pretty much are doing what you should, and have gotten some good advice. You never know, on Sunday those legs may be feeling really fresh and ready to hammer.

Massage also helps, although I'd be careful if you are not used to getting massages. You probably need a particular type of massage and not deep tissue stuff. If you really want to make the best of massage, get it done say 30 minutes after you are done racing by the therapists who show up--then go get in that ice bath for 10 minutes. That really used to shorten my recovery time when racing half marathons.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hard training in any sport will lead to periods of recovery. The harder you push, the longer it will take. It is clear that you raced a hard race (way to go btw) and your body is telling you that with the pain you feel. In order to recover faster there a few easy things you can do help yourself out.

1-MOST IMPORTANT- cool down. After a workout of any type or any intensity, you need to go for 15 min of a cool down, running swimming,biking anything at a pace in which you can hold a conversation for 15. That will provide the biggest increase for your recovery.
2-STRECH- too much i have seen people in my club run their workouts and then go home without streching (competitive running is my other sport). If you don't strech a muscle after a work out of any kind, it will contract as it recovers and reduce your fitness. Strech yourself 1-2 times a day regardless of workout and watch as you feel better and loosen up.
3-ICE-as stated above, ice baths are the way to go, THE BEST. However they are very hard to take. If it is too much, or you don't have the time to fill the tub, buy 3-4 ice packs. After you cool down, strech, go home and throw the ice where you are soar. Rotate the ice every 7-12 min to other areas that need it. So if you have 4 areas needing ice, use 2 ice packs and rotate them. If 6 areas, use 3 ice packs.

Those three tips will increase your recovery like no other. i use them to great effect with myself.

There are two others things you can do. Sleep atleast 8 hours a day (sooooooooooooo good after those long days) and eat properly

Good at your race btw

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.