Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but still a newb and wondering what my options are to raise the bars

I love the ride now actually but i want to try it about 2 inches higher - i read i could gain some control and also i need to get better at manuals and hops. Sea the photos below - seat is a bit higher now and more level

right now its pretty much level with the added wide bars

let me know what you think - is my only option adding spacers?

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
If there's space then you can add some more spacers underneath the stem to raise the bars.

Other options to get a higher front end would be a stem with more degrees rise or a set of high rise riser bars, such as the high rise version of the Easton EA70 MonkeyBar MTB Handlebar.:)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok there is one spacer on top of the stem - its small only about a CM or half inch

What i was wondering is if the stem can be twisted or something but looking at it I dont see how - so i guess just a different rise angle is the option?

Also what do you guys think about higher bars - any opinions?

WR304 said:
If there's space then you can add some more spacers underneath the stem to raise the bars.

Other options to get a higher front end would be a stem with more degrees rise or a set of high rise riser bars, such as the high rise version of the Easton EA70 MonkeyBar MTB Handlebar.:)

·
West Chester, PA
5,003 Posts
surftime said:
ok there is one spacer on top of the stem - its small only about a CM or half inch

What i was wondering is if the stem can be twisted or something but looking at it I dont see how - so i guess just a different rise angle is the option?

Also what do you guys think about higher bars - any opinions?
This is why I don't have a full suspension 29er yet - too hard to manual with the long chainstays.

Take the stem off and the insert can be rotated 180 degrees and it will have more rise.

Put any spacers that are above the stem below it. You can't add any more because the steerer tube has to be as long as the height you're adding. Only option after doing the first two is a really dorky hi rise stem or really high rise bars.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I have that same bike. The stem has an adjustable angle. Mine came set at the lower of the non-inverted angles, so you can remove the stem and flip the spacer inside of it and set it to a higher angle to get more rise. For even more rise you can get a stem with something like a 15 degree rise.

Since you asked for opinions, I think your bars are already quite high. I like the bars a bit lower than the seat, but everyone has their own preferences. On my FSR 29er I'm running flat bars and I even ran with the stem inverted for awhile. The photo shows the stock setup with the original stem. I am now running a zero rise 100mm long stem, which puts the bars just a little lower and more stretched out, which feels better to me. Higher bars allow you to manual more easily, are more balanced/comfortable on descents, and may give less upper body fatigue on long rides. The downside is that you lose some power from your glutes/hams/lower back and climbing can suffer. So it's a tradeoff. I used to run my bars a good 3 to 4" lower than my seat, but that was pretty hairy on descents and in rock gardens, so now I have settled on the bars just a little lower than the seat.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.