Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Rock Shox Pike fork that came with the Maxle 20mm thru QR. I also then bought a set of Mavix 717 wheels with, i guess standard XT QR for the front wheel. I dont really care much about having a 20mm axle. Will the wheel still work with the fork? Will it work with the wheels if I wanted to use the Maxle 20mm QR? Or would I have to change something out??

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Unfortunately....

there's no way to make a standard dedicated QR hub work with a 20mm TA fork. You have two choices, return the Pike if possible and get a QR type fork, or, as highdell suggested, go shopping for a 20mm QA hub and have it laced to the 717. Either way something has to change, the hub or the fork. Your choice on that one.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Looking at your profile I would highly suggest you return the PIKE and get something shorter travel wise, say around 100mm, to match what the SuperLight was designed for. Or go hub shopping use the PIKE and then sometime in the future go frame shopping when you rip the HT off the frame :skep: but after you've healed up from the accident and paid off your medical bills.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what if I just make sure I just dont adjust the travel past 120mm? I really dont want to tear up my frame, but i cant return the fork as well. I got a very good deal on it, and selling it along with buying another one will cost a lot more that what i have already spent on it. Thanks for the advice guys.:thumbsup:

I do understand that if this set up is totally unsafe and ineffective then I will have to change out forks.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
pfcnguyen said:
what if I just make sure I just dont adjust the travel past 120mm? I really dont want to tear up my frame, but i cant return the fork as well. I got a very good deal on it, and selling it along with buying another one will cost a lot more that what i have already spent on it. Thanks for the advice guys.:thumbsup:

I do understand that if this set up is totally unsafe and ineffective then I will have to change out forks.
If it is a u-turn, yeah, that is fine. I would run it under 120mm, IMO.

I see a lot of people telling you to buy a new hub and have it laced up - fark that, just get a new front wheel. Sell the old one. labor and spokes would kill any cost savings. You should be able to get one for less than 100.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Since you are stuck with the fork, get a new front wheel like characterzero says, sell the other. Even if you build your own wheels, after you buy a hub and spokes you'll probably do better buying a new wheel. Hate to point it out, but since you bought wheels for a fork that don't match up, be sure you got wheels that go with whatever brakes you have or you'll be doing even more shopping...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
be sure you got wheels that go with whatever brakes you have or you'll be doing even more shopping...
you mean disc or non-disc wheels right? I bought Avid Juicy 7s. Is there anything else I got to look out for besides (of course) the wheel size?

tomsmoto said:
thats a pretty high demand fork which is nearly useless for you. you could sell or trade it for something that would work 10x better for you very easily.
I get what your saying. All i can really see is that it may be a little heavier compared to a XC specific fork. But if I keep adjustments under 120mm, is it still nearly useless? Compared to say if I get a Reba w/ U-turn.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If it's the U-Turn version and you really got it that cheap then fine, buy a new WHEEL, don't worry about getting a new hub and relacing as BF and Tom said. Me personally would keep the travel dialed under 120mm. One thing I will say, you WILL NOT believe how much better the steering will be on your bike with the TA fork. Oh and advice on the new wheel - get a hub that's easily convertable between QR/9mm/15mm and 20mm - Hope Pro2 is the cheapest that comes to mind.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
pfcnguyen said:
you mean disc or non-disc wheels right? I bought Avid Juicy 7s. Is there anything else I got to look out for besides (of course) the wheel size?

I get what your saying. All i can really see is that it may be a little heavier compared to a XC specific fork. But if I keep adjustments under 120mm, is it still nearly useless? Compared to say if I get a Reba w/ U-turn.
since you accidentally overlooked the 20mm TA, It is conceivable (not sayin' you would), over look a disc-ready hub. (I personally would go w/ a 6-bolt vs. a center-lok due to rotor choices -YMMV)

ps... if you got a smokin' deal on the pike, don't sweat it - keep the u-turn cranked down and rock it...later if you get 5" bike or something you could put it on there and crank it up:thumbsup: .

·
Registered
422 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.