Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to learn to manual so I can fly with a better attitude. I'm 75% grasping the wheelieing off lips but I just can't get drops at any speed. I must look pretty goofy pulling a Polish wheelie for 15 feet after taking a drop with any speed. Any tips to help bend the learning curve in my direction?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I try to launch off an obstacle carrying any speed my front tire drops in mid air and when I land I pull a nose wheelie for about 15 feet till my rear wheel drops. I can take drops slowly by pulling a wheelie just as my front tire reaches the drop and riding through on my rear tire. I think I need to learn how to 'manual - an unpowered wheelie??' so I can float my front tire and ride with speed over drops - this is how BMX (loosers) riders take rhythm sections.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
jdoodled said:
When I try to launch off an obstacle carrying any speed my front tire drops in mid air and when I land I pull a nose wheelie for about 15 feet till my rear wheel drops. I can take drops slowly by pulling a wheelie just as my front tire reaches the drop and riding through on my rear tire. I think I need to learn how to 'manual - an unpowered wheelie??' so I can float my front tire and ride with speed over drops - this is how BMX (loosers) riders take rhythm sections.
If your front wheel drops on a drop, your weight isn't far enough back, you don't necessarily need to learn to manual, so long as you keep your weight back and pull up slighly as you come off the drop, your bike should be at least level, preferably with the back tire slightly lower, so you can absorb part of the energy of the landing through your legs. If you have a full suspension, ignore what I just said and land with both wheels at the same time.

Nose diving off a drop should never happen, I almost never pull up on my bars when taking a drop, usually I keep my weight centered or to the rear of the bike(behind the BB, over the rear axle) and the bike does the rest. If your nose is dipping, you're probably sitting too much on the front of your bike, and your center of mass is probably forward of the bb. You're probably hunched over without realizing it. Stand up, arms straight, knees bent with your weight hovering over the rear tire just before you leave the lip. Practice this on small obstacles first, and practice, practice, practice. Ideally on a hardtail you should land just like the bmxers do if you are landing to flat, rear wheel first. If you are dropping to a transition, or landing, then you want to push your bike level with the landing. Don't be afraid to manhandle your bike in the air to correct your position.

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
snaky69 said:
Nose diving off a drop should never happen, I almost never pull up on my bars when taking a drop, usually I keep my weight centered or to the rear of the bike(behind the BB, over the rear axle) and the bike does the rest. If your nose is dipping, you're probably sitting too much on the front of your bike, and your center of mass is probably forward of the bb. You're probably hunched over without realizing it. Stand up, arms straight, knees bent with your weight hovering over the rear tire just before you leave the lip. Practice this on small obstacles first, and practice, practice, practice. Ideally on a hardtail you should land just like the bmxers do if you are landing to flat, rear wheel first. If you are dropping to a transition, or landing, then you want to push your bike level with the landing. Don't be afraid to manhandle your bike in the air to correct your position.
In Brian Lopes book Mastering Mountain Bike Skills he claims that on drops with a nice downsloped landing, the front tire should land before the rear and both tires should land in precisely the same place. In order to do this, I'd say that you have to "nosedive" just slightly so you don't land rear wheel first and then have your front slam down. I don't mess around with jumps though, I'm just saying what's in the book.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Judd97 said:
In Brian Lopes book Mastering Mountain Bike Skills he claims that on drops with a nice downsloped landing, the front tire should land before the rear and both tires should land in precisely the same place. In order to do this, I'd say that you have to "nosedive" just slightly so you don't land rear wheel first and then have your front slam down. I don't mess around with jumps though, I'm just saying what's in the book.
I understand, and he is perfectly right. That's why I said it is better to tilt your bike into the landing on a downsloped landing. If you land too rearward on one of those, what can happen is a slap landing, in which the front of the bike slaps down very hard. I guess in the book he though of that when saying it was better to land front wheel first, as a slap landing puts an awful lot of stress on the headtube of a frame and can result in breakage over time.

Then again, overdoing the front wheel thing is just as bad, and can end up in an over the bars trip. Both wheels at once are easier to manage for most people. You also get more contact area with the ground upon landing which helps with traction.

IMO only drops to flat should ALWAYS be landed rear wheel first.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
jdoodled said:
Ever see a parachute explode out the back of a dragracer? That's what your body should do as soon as your front wheel gets to the lip. As long as you are carrying a decent amount of speed, this will balance you on your back wheel for the time it takes to get it in the air also. Overemphasize it on your first few drops, then you can fine tune it after that. When I was learning I liked see how slow I could go off curbs and still do it. It takes a little practice, but you'll soon have it dialed. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
LWright said:
try bunny hopping off the lip instead of a wheelie.
get the landing down and "flying" takes care of inself.
Don't be offended, but bunnyhopping off lips is a bad idea for a newbie. Failing to get the back tire far enough and having it hang up will result in a nasty crash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.