Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
Hey everyone,
I was reading a review on a Black Market Mob frame and I've heard some talk about it. They all say that this frame is so great. I can believe it's great. But when people would say that one hardtail frame is way better than another, it's hard to believe. Like can switching a frame make a difference in your riding? A steelhead is around half the price of a Mob. they are both hardtail and both meant for the same thing, so who wouldn't go for the steelhead. Is one frame stronger, lighter etc. than the other? I'm not saying that I don't like expensive hardtail frames(like the black market mob), I just wan't to know why they're better. If you want, you can compare the black market mob frame to my Kona Stuff frame.
 

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
Joined
·
2,664 Posts
like the other guy said, geometry is key. head angle, seat tube angle, top tube length, rear end lenght, and all the combinations and interactions thereof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
in addition to geo, quality of materials and quality of craftsmanship are the main driving forces in the price. alignment of the chain stays for example. i have heard of many problems with the alignment of azonic frames. something like a MOB or Nemesis will not have alignment problems and is welded in the usa. usually every frame made by a "botique" manufacturer will be welded by the same guy. more expensive frames are more likeky to have machined parts, etc...
 

·
Loves His Sunday
Joined
·
670 Posts
Plus when buying from Nemesis or Mob you aren'y just getting a mass produced cookie cutter bike. For Nemesis when your bike is custom welded by hand and paint color is your choice. Plus it's 100% MADE IN THE USA. And a lifetime warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,441 Posts
like everyone else has stated there are TONS of factors in differing characteristics in hardtails.

1. Materials, steel vs aluminum is like night and day in the way they feel. Also the quality in materials plays a role in feel/ durrability/ and price.
2. Geometry. something as simple as 1/2" shorter chainstay, or longer top tube, or head tube angle, bottom bracket height, wheelbase... all play a HUGE role in how the bike feels and handles.
3. Features, some bikes have huge room for big tires, gusseted head tubes to support longer travel / dual crown forks, disc brake tabs, or canti brake bosses. Some bikes are drilled for water bottles, some are not, some are heavier and can take a greater beating, some are lighter and easier to flick or pedal...
4. paint options/ color scheems/ anodization..., hey some people are vain ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
flatulentfox said:
in addition to geo, quality of materials and quality of craftsmanship are the main driving forces in the price. alignment of the chain stays for example. i have heard of many problems with the alignment of azonic frames. something like a MOB or Nemesis will not have alignment problems and is welded in the usa. usually every frame made by a "botique" manufacturer will be welded by the same guy. more expensive frames are more likeky to have machined parts, etc...
mxrider489 said:
Plus when buying from Nemesis or Mob you aren'y just getting a mass produced cookie cutter bike. For Nemesis when your bike is custom welded by hand and paint color is your choice. Plus it's 100% MADE IN THE USA. And a lifetime warranty.
Yes true true , lifetime warrenty 1 full year on paint
How many other bike company's can you talk with the person that's going to build your bike person to person .

I have also started to do custom cable routing , like JJ bike all the cables are rounted on the oppisite side of the way he barspins , under the tube so you dont see the cable when the bike's built up . It really is all the little features that make the biggest differnce .


:D :p :) :D :) Thanks guys !
Yea what they said !!! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
mxrider489 said:
Plus when buying from Nemesis or Mob you aren'y just getting a mass produced cookie cutter bike. For Nemesis when your bike is custom welded by hand and paint color is your choice. Plus it's 100% MADE IN THE USA. And a lifetime warranty.
hehe, well said.

the steelhead frame retails around $150-$300 right?

the nemesis retails around $900 or mine should cost well over a grand. and the blk mrkt mob retails around $600.

there are SOOO many different factors that go into the frames.

to name a few:
quality of materials
ride feel
attention to geometry
geometry
customization
where the frame is made (but not so much as how the frame is made)
paint quality


so ya....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
cummings said:
Does Nemesis have a website?
www.NEMESISPROJECT.com , it's not up just yet but should be very shortly we were just able to purchace the address from the orignal owners .
This wasent the easiest thing to do , and wasent cheep at all !

Check out Unrealcycles or Phatmoose cycles both have sites have really good pic's of the frames as well as some good info .
Both shops have frames in stock right now too !!

http://www.unrealcycles.com/
http://www.unrealcycles.com/catalog.php?com=Nemesis&cat=


http://www.phatmoosecycles.com/index.php
http://www.phatmoosecycles.com/nemesis.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
Allot of this is based on opinion, but I just took my DJ100 for it last urban> I’m swapping the parts over to a DK Xenia. I rode the bike in the skate park, and there was a world of difference. The geometry is a huge deal, as well as weight, and materials. I went from airing only inches out off the coping to being able to air high enough to make me want to toss the bike. And let’s not even get into bunny hops.

It was all about the geometry, I realized today the top tube on the KHS was too long for me. I'm 5'7". By the way my DJ is very similar to the Steelhead in most ways, only slightly lighter.

If you’re short don't get it.


cummings said:
Hey everyone,
I was reading a review on a Black Market Mob frame and I've heard some talk about it. They all say that this frame is so great. I can believe it's great. But when people would say that one hardtail frame is way better than another, it's hard to believe. Like can switching a frame make a difference in your riding? A steelhead is around half the price of a Mob. they are both hardtail and both meant for the same thing, so who wouldn't go for the steelhead. Is one frame stronger, lighter etc. than the other? I'm not saying that I don't like expensive hardtail frames(like the black market mob), I just wan't to know why they're better. If you want, you can compare the black market mob frame to my Kona Stuff frame.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top