Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a 67 and thought I was settled on putting a Z150 on it. I've been looking at the Pike more and I'm thinking it might be better suited due to the amount of trail riding the bike will see. The thing that scares me about the Z150 is the QR20. How much abuse can a Pike take? Is it burly enough for freeride and some downhill? I've done some searching and it sounds like a few people beat them up. Is there a particular model that is tougher? Air vs. Coil? What exactly is the difference between the SL and the Race?

·
EDR
10,311 Posts
focused1 said:
What exactly is the difference between the SL and the Race?
If memory serves me correctly from my summer research on the Pike, the SL (05 models) does not have an external rebound adjustment...at least not like the Race (which I have). The Race and Team models have a knob on the bottom of the lower right side. I believe the SL has some sort of cap or cover you have to remove to make an adjustment. Its not like you have to remove the top cap or anything to make a rebound adjustment, so its still an external adjustment, just a little different from the Race. Back when the Race cost 50 bucks more than the SL everyone said save the money and get the SL or get the Team for the weight savings. Again, this is the 05 i'm referring to (coil sprung).

-I'm no hucker but am very happy with my Pike for heavy trail riding, up to 3ft drops to flat, lots of rocks.........lots of rocks in my riding area and the Pike is flawless. Love the feeling of the coil version...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
focused1 said:
I'm building a 67 and thought I was settled on putting a Z150 on it. I've been looking at the Pike more and I'm thinking it might be better suited due to the amount of trail riding the bike will see. The thing that scares me about the Z150 is the QR20. How much abuse can a Pike take? Is it burly enough for freeride and some downhill? I've done some searching and it sounds like a few people beat them up. Is there a particular model that is tougher? Air vs. Coil? What exactly is the difference between the SL and the Race?
QR20 should not scare you.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I had/have a Z150 and it was a good ride on the 67 for its application. I recently upgraded to a Sherman Slider Plus about a week ago. Havent had any ride time on it thanks to the post mount brake adapter style, but so far, its a very promising fork.

As for the Z150, I really liked mine, so much I am still gonna hang onto it. Its a great fork thats meant for basically almost anything. I put it through a ton of abuse and it has never failed me.

As for the pike, I wouldn't expect it to be stiffer or weaker than the Z150. And don't worry about QR20. There may be some parts to lose, but just be carefull and tighten it down and not worry about it.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
If memory serves me correctly from my summer research on the Pike, the SL (05 models) does not have an external rebound adjustment...at least not like the Race (which I have). The Race and Team models have a knob on the bottom of the lower right side. I believe the SL has some sort of cap or cover you have to remove to make an adjustment. Its not like you have to remove the top cap or anything to make a rebound adjustment, so its still an external adjustment, just a little different from the Race. Back when the Race cost 50 bucks more than the SL everyone said save the money and get the SL or get the Team for the weight savings. Again, this is the 05 i'm referring to (coil sprung).

-I'm no hucker but am very happy with my Pike for heavy trail riding, up to 3ft drops to flat, lots of rocks.........lots of rocks in my riding area and the Pike is flawless. Love the feeling of the coil version...
SL has rebound adjustment. It's a knob on the bottom. You can pull the knob out to adjust the Floodgate. The cap is for the Floodgate. You can use the knob from the rebound to adjust the floodgate.

Team isn't a hucker. It uses the weaker crown and aluminum steer tube. The Team SHOULD NOT BE HUCKED. It gives up structural integrity in favor of weight savings.

The SL and Race are exactly the same other than the Floodgate. The Race has clicks for the Floodgate, the SL does not.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
DanD said:
QR20 should not scare you.
QR20 has had some issues with cracking in the past. The little flaps are weak. You can mod them to make them more secure.

I think the z150 wasn't torsionally stiff at all. I felt as if my QR Sherman was stiffer than the z150 I had. Then again, I also ran a larger brake on the z150. The Pike is definitely stiff. I think that it is much stiffer than the z150.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
focused1 said:
The Pike is one of the best air sprung forks out there. Almost as plush and as linear as a coil fork, but the coil version will still soak up the small bumps better. As long as you don't get the Team version, the fork is definitely burly enough for freeride and downhill. I know some people session urban on the Reba.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
QR20 has had some issues with cracking in the past. The little flaps are weak. You can mod them to make them more secure.

I think the z150 wasn't torsionally stiff at all. I felt as if my QR Sherman was stiffer than the z150 I had. Then again, I also ran a larger brake on the z150. The Pike is definitely stiff. I think that it is much stiffer than the z150.
My friend broke the flap off of one side of his Super T... he is still riding it I think, pretty scary IMO.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
people go big on pikes. i'm getting the sl for dj/park and some urban drops to a trani, i've never heard anything bad about the QR20 axle, i actually like them because they would be easier to use then a regular 20mm axle

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
489 Posts
I have a pike race on my ht and it is ok. Not nearly as plush as a marzocchi. I get a little sketched on drops bigger than 8 feet with that fork. one thing i noticed on my last ride, is that it isnt the smoothest on stuttery stuff. But I have since torn it apart and did a lube oil filter and it seems to be a bit better. But it is still a kick ass dirt jump and street fork. For my money i would get like 66 and put a slam kit in it from Evil4bc so that you can drop the travel down to 5 or 6". This is what i am gonna do once i get a short travel FS bike. I had an 05 66RC for a while and I really liked it for trail riding. its uber stiff and plush as all get out. If you want to do more DH and fr stuff, i would lean the way of the 66. If you are gonna do a lot more trail riding and not a ton of hucking, go with the pike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ive got an '06 Pike 426 and its a really great fork. Motion control kicks ass as does the U-turn. Ive beat up on it quite a bit too, mostly urban riding though, Ive taken it offroad a total of 3 times, so I dont have a ton of experience on how it handles on trails.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:

how do you mod the qr20s, i have a qr20 witht the bolt thing instead of the lever but i have already cracked one flap after using it for about 2 weeks, i think the problem was that i had tightend the wheel to much wich caused it to crack and eventually break but great old marzocchi customer service had a new one sent out to me in a week under warentee

·
Registered
86 Posts
focused1 said:
I'm building a 67 and thought I was settled on putting a Z150 on it. I've been looking at the Pike more and I'm thinking it might be better suited due to the amount of trail riding the bike will see.

The coil Pike kills it. Its plush, very adjustable and takes a beating.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I did end up ordering a Pike SL U-turn yesterday. It sounds like it'll be the perfect fork for me and the wide range of riding the bike will see.

·
Loves His Sunday
670 Posts
Here's two pics of a friend who rides a pike. I'm pretty sure he's 360'ing in both of these pics. He broke his DJ2 and now rides a pike. These pics are with the Pike. Maybe that helps.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts