Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am I making a fair point if I say that Avid seem to be making a few too many hydraulic disk brake products? Maybe make 3 or 4 really well and impress everyone, not 10 products that have far from universal praise!:eek:ut:.

1. xx-world-cup-hydraulic-disc-brake
2. xx-hydraulic-disc-brake
3. x0-hydraulic-disc-brake
4. elixir-r-hydraulic-disc-brake
5. elixir-5-hydraulic-disc-brake
6. elixir-cr-hydraulic-disc-brake
7. elixir-3-hydraulic-disc-brake
8. code-hydraulic-disc-brake
9. code-r-hydraulic-disc-brake
10. juicy-3-hydraulic-disc-brake

Oh, and Code 5, Juicy Ultimate, Juicy 5, and Juicy 7, can't find on website, discontinued? :confused:

Also hows about selling the Clean Sweep X rotors as an option with the brakes and rubber coating the back of the pads? Gobble gobble :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
theextremist04 said:
Avid brakes are easily the most popular OEM brake it kinda makes sense.
One high level lightweight XC brake. A lower end XC race one.
A high end FR/DH brake, and a medium level one, which could also be the high-end AM brake too, and a cheaper AM/trail/DJ one.

Five brakes I think is all they need, but really make them much better than they are now with constant improvements highly extensive R&D. Surely using the same manpower to improve 5 products instead of 10 would double the rate that their products improved now.:confused:

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
200 options gives SRAM a marketing angle to get a user to "upgrade" their brakes when they start working like trash 6mos in. "Are your 'cheap' J7s failing? Try the upgraded Elixirs or Codes!" ... ignoring the fact that the only reason an upgraded Avid line feels good is because the brakes they are replacing have become trash.

Lipstick on a pig; poor quality brakes that get more and more expensive with questionable value-adds while ignoring the underlying disposableness of their brakes.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Lotsa Avid hatin' here. Hating choices. Hating features that many find practical, useful. Hating things you don't even know why you're hating. Bandwagon hatin'.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Malibu412 said:
Lotsa Avid hatin' here. Hating choices. Hating features that many find practical, useful. Hating things you don't even know why you're hating. Bandwagon hatin'.
+1

Why is an Avid hater making spreadsheets on Avid brake models? Seems like an awful waste of time.

Mine work. Id upgrade if I had to, I dont. Not particularly fond of throwing money on simple mechanical issues.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Most of there hydro brakes have the same basic make-up. Realisticly they are R&Ding two maybe three systems, the rest is cosmetics and adjustability features. I think their brakes are great, sure there is other choices out there, it's a consumers dream

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have had my Juicy 7s for 3 years and had to bleed and clean them only once. I just received my new Elixir Rs and can't wait to go and try them out. I have no complaints about the number of different brake systems as long as there is something I can afford.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Avid hating? It's not hating it's disappointment. Cheapo disposable brakes that are rapidly losing market share to Formula and Magura etc.

The reality is the Elixirs and Juicy brakes are just cheapened and dumbed down Codes. Maybe many people don't have problems with vibrations, noises etc from the back of their bike, but lots of people do, including me. So annoying that I'm thinking about putting a BB7 on the back. That's not Avid hating behavior. If I was an Avid hater I'd bin my Elixirs and buy Magura.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.