Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I m tinkin bout gettin one... they r so cheap rite now... i m lite weight (140 lbs) and i ride XC only.... no overly aggresive stuff.... will the arch break on me like the other ppl say?

·
Registered
12 Posts
At 140 lbs. it should be fine as long as you strictly ride cross country. I had one and the internals blew so I sent it back to Manitou. They replaced the casting (legs) with a new stronger version as a 'bonus' (an admission to the fact that the originals were inadequate). As far as suspension performance it worked fine, but I ditched it due to its noticeable flex (I weigh 185 lbs). Hope this helps. Just make sure the castings are the updated version or it will crack at the arch.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Depending on what you are inclined to believe, an '03 Skareb may be ok for you. The story I've heard is that the broken ones came from shipment that somehow got screwed up in transit. I'm a skeptical person, and I don't know what could possibly happen to a container full of suspension forks to cause them all the break in a similar fashion <i>that <u>we</u> don't do to it on the trail under normal use</i>, even for a lightweight rider such as yourself.

The prices are inexpensive such that I'd probably take the chance and, if it breaks, have Manitou replace it with an '04, but I'm pretty sure Manitou won't be offering to pay for your broken teeth and skin grafts if it outright fails during a rocky descent.

But seriously, if the breakages were that pervasive, I'm certain they would have all been recalled and destroyed. Right? <i>RIGHT?</i>

·
[paste title here]
515 Posts
Yeah I had the broken arch on my Skareb. I was riding uphill and I heard a snap-like noise. I look down and my tires were tubbing against the arch. I had been warned about this problem and was afraid that it finally happened to me. I looked closer and there was a crack going across the arch. Of course Manitou did replace the lowers for free and offered me an upgrade program to a newer fork. So look out for the lowers if you get the Skareb. Interesting that Manitou hasn't done recall on these forks since its been a huge problem....

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Don't know why my response didn't show up, here it goes again. Why not just get a 2004 which is stiffer and doesn't have the breakage problems. Jenson is blowing out the 2004 100mm Elite for something like $229 including shipping. Also, a lot of the 2003 Skarebs showing up have steel steerers that add 100-200 grams eliminating the weight advantage for the Skareb. If you are going to have a $200-250 1600 gram fork, get a Black!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtnbikerdude87 said:
Yeah I had the broken arch on my Skareb. I was riding uphill and I heard a snap-like noise. I look down and my tires were tubbing against the arch. I had been warned about this problem and was afraid that it finally happened to me. I looked closer and there was a crack going across the arch. Of course Manitou did replace the lowers for free and offered me an upgrade program to a newer fork. So look out for the lowers if you get the Skareb. Interesting that Manitou hasn't done recall on these forks since its been a huge problem....
What kind of riding do u do?

Now I m scared...

·
bang
1,290 Posts
doanster said:

Now I m scared...
just look at the reviews of the 03 skareb comp; they break at the reverse arch. something like 35% of all the people who posted said their fork broke. 03 skareb comps used with disc brakes seemed to break more (usually within six months), which makes sense since disc brakes put more strain on the fork. however, a few bikes that used rim brakes also had cracked skarebs. its just something to check for if you currently have that particular fork.

·
[paste title here]
515 Posts
doanster said:

Now I m scared...
haha Actually I just do moderate XC. Maybe 1 ft drops on some of the trails, but nothing that extreme. Some spots are tempting to do jumps but I know my bike aint designed for it. Good luck with your fork decision. Id go with that Jenson deal that LacticAddict was talking about, seems pretty good.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Just to note, there are people selling their 03 forks with 04 lowers. Fortunately Manitou was kind enough to stamp 04 on the 04 lowers so they can be easily identified (it is very easily seen on my 04 Skareb on the back of the leg and is a raised stamp).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts