Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding more and more rocky, droppy, technical steep terrain lately and sometimes I'm a bit over my head (OTB literally) with my Hammerhead 100x. It handles 95% of what I throw at it amazingly well but I'm wanting to do even more extreme terrain and I'm not sure what to do.

I'm trying to decide if I should sell the HH and try a 5-6 inch "All mountain" bike that would still be a good compromise for the faster, more normal trails but still able to handle some of the more gnarly stuff (ala 5 spot, 575, Motolite, 5.5, Hollowpoint MKIII, etc) Say, stay in the 29-34 lbs range.

Or keep the HH for all the other stuff I mostly ride and go with something bigger for those days when I want to do really gnarly trails, drops, etc (Super Moto, 7Point7, VPFree, Demo8, Bullit, etc)?
The bike still has to be able to climb reasonably well and not be too heavy (say 36-39 lbs)....

Or would a middle weight 6 inch bike like the 6 pack or Maverick ML8 be a better choice?

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you can afford, buy a FR bike(6-inch) and keep your HH. I tried 5-6 inch bikes, but I always missed the feel of crispy handling of my XC bike. If your HH is 95% good enough for what you do, there is no reason to get rid of the HH, IMO. I am a Turner supporter, so I'll say the 6 pack will be perfect for ya. :p

KRob said:
It handles 95% of what I throw at it amazingly well but I'm wanting to do even more extreme terrain and I'm not sure what to do.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
KRob said:
I've been riding more and more rocky, droppy, technical steep terrain lately and sometimes I'm a bit over my head (OTB literally) with my Hammerhead 100x. It handles 95% of what I throw at it amazingly well but I'm wanting to do even more extreme terrain and I'm not sure what to do.

I'm trying to decide if I should sell the HH and try a 5-6 inch "All mountain" bike that would still be a good compromise for the faster, more normal trails but still able to handle some of the more gnarly stuff (ala 5 spot, 575, Motolite, 5.5, Hollowpoint MKIII, etc) Say, stay in the 29-34 lbs range.

Or keep the HH for all the other stuff I mostly ride and go with something bigger for those days when I want to do really gnarly trails, drops, etc (Super Moto, 7Point7, VPFree, Demo8, Bullit, etc)?
The bike still has to be able to climb reasonably well and not be too heavy (say 36-39 lbs)....

Or would a middle weight 6 inch bike like the 6 pack or Maverick ML8 be a better choice?
I agree keep the HH and get a nice 7" freeride bike.

I love mine:

www.knollybikes.com

:D

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
agree....definitely keep the HH....sounds like you will miss it otherwise.

* 6 Pack
* La Bruja
* X-5 w/ 6" rockers

Those would be my choices as they will climb fine and will be robust for most everything (with the first 2 more burly than the third). I believe the X-5 to be configured as the perfect 6" by 6" bike that is not too heavy but can "bring it on". Climbs fine and has the geometry I like for all around riding. I can keep up with all but the hardest core racer boys I often ride with. Since you are a strong XC guy, stick with something burly yet not too much, otherwise you may not use it as much. It is very easy to get caught up in the novelty of hard core configurations.....I have done it and now i am regressing back to single speeds :)

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
006_007 said:
I agree keep the HH and get a nice 7" freeride bike.

I love mine:

www.knollybikes.com

:D
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Knolly. Those are some sano lookin', burly bikes. Frame cost comparable to say a 6 pack or Supermoto? IIRC, the wieghts are doable in the 35-40 lbs range, right?

Whew! Those are nice. I just clicked the link. Price is probably a little high for the amount of FR stuff I'd do or have availbable to me in my area.

In fact, if I keep the HH, I should probably go with a more "budget" 7incher like the Bullit or Iron Horse 7Point7 to keep peace at home and given the amount of time I'd use it.

Any other agressive FR bikes in this category under 2500-3000 I should consider?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey KRob....

Having ridden with you at Bootleg and also the owner of both a Hammerhead and a Quasi...I'd say keep the HH (I ride mine 90% of the time) and build up a 6 or 7" travel rig with a lightly used frame or a new reasonably priced frame.....a Super Moto would be a lot of fun at Bootleg!

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Markv said:
Having ridden with you at Bootleg and also the owner of both a Hammerhead and a Quasi...I'd say keep the HH (I ride mine 90% of the time) and build up a 6 or 7" travel rig with a lightly used frame or a new reasonably priced frame.....a Super Moto would be a lot of fun at Bootleg!
Hey Mark, How's it going? You still enjoyin' the HH? How's your Quasi set up? I love the SuperMoto! (drool), but for a second (10-15% of the time) bike may be a bit much $$. I hadn't thought about the used angle... That's a good idea. I guess it's time go troll the classifieds section.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Doing well.....

KRob said:
Hey Mark, How's it going? You still enjoyin' the HH? How's your Quasi set up? I love the SuperMoto! (drool), but for a second (10-15% of the time) bike may be a bit much $$. I hadn't thought about the used angle... That's a good idea. I guess it's time go troll the classifieds section.
Love the HH......made a few changes. Swapped the XO twisters for X9 triggers, had my Float RL rear shock PUSH'ed, went to a Maxim MX-6 bar, and I'm running a Kenda BG 2.35 front tire and a 2.1 Nevegal in the back. It's a better trail bike with this setup.

I've got my Quasi set up pretty light (around 29 lbs) with a Vanilla 125 fork, a PUSH'ed Float rear shock, CK isodisc hubs/Mavic 317 wheelset, and Magura Marta brakes, We do a lot of climbing in SW Idaho and I don't want to drag extra wieght around. It's a long travel xc rig......I bought the frame used a couple of years ago off MTBR's classifieds.

Have seen a couple of lightly used Super Moto's for sale ;)

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Bullits and Knollys

I ride the Norshore and after trips to AZ and CA, had to buy an Enduro (4") for trail duty. It does the shore too but I kneed the Knolly for that now, and the Bullit helped before that. I grabbed it on sale for $1049, couldn't say no. It has very minor shortcomings, but it's a great ride for trails. The Bullit did duty in AZ and CA and OR too but it nearly killed me on trails...cound't keep up after a while, the weight and rilling mass of the DH tires was just too much.

Keep the HH, it's a great bike, and look at a 6-7" ride. The Knolly doesn't have US pricing as the dollar goes up and down like a toilet seat. It is a firm $3900 CAD. yes you can order one. www.knollybikes.com

Nope I don't work for them, just a very happy customer. *boing*

good luck Jim

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
6 pack..

KRob said:

Or 5 spot. Either can be built for versatility.

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok guys, as much as I'd love a brand new '05 Six pack or Super Moto, I think I'd better stay within a reasonable range $1-2K if I'm going to keep the HH also. So I browsed around on the classifieds for 6-7 inch free ride bikes and came up with this list. Not being really familiar with all the free ride components and pros and cons on some of these framesets I thought I'd let you help me weed through this first pile of used contenders. Any dogs? Any steals? Anything I should avoid? Any questions I should ask the sellers. Thanks.
Here's the link to my check list: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...anguage=&session_key=&print_checklist_view=on

And here's a pasted list incase they disappear off my check list again.
# Category Brand & Model Size Date Posted Price Extras Details
1 Full Suspension Bike 04 Med Titus QuasiMoto 1.5 She... Medium 04/13/2005 $2,500 obo Details
2 Full Suspension Bike 2003 1/2 Santa Cruz Bullit Large 04/10/2005 1700 obo Details
3 Full Suspension Bike Kona Stinky LOADED! Med. 17" 04/06/2005 $1,650 Details
4 Full Suspension Bike Iron Horse SGS Pro, (DHX5, Shi... 19" 04/05/2005 $1000 Details
5 Full Suspension Bike 2003 santa cruz bullit medium ... Medium 04/03/2005 1800 o.b.o. Details
6 Full Suspension Bike rocky mountain rm7 wade simmon... m 04/01/2005 2300 - Details
7 Full Suspension Bike 03 BANSHEE SCREAM w/ 888 "PRIC... large 03/30/2005 1750 obo Details
8 Full Suspension Bike 2005 NORCO VPS SIX - As New MEDIUM 03/22/2005 1950 Details
9 Full Suspension Bike 2005 Ironhorse 7.5 NEW 17" 17" 03/21/2005 2200 Details
10 Full Suspension Bike 2004 Kona Stinky 17"(med) 02/03/2005 $1450 Details

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SSINGA said:
Start looking for a used Turner RFX if you want the 6 pack but can't get the CFO to sign off on it!

There is a 02 large in the classifieds, but based on your list it looks like you need a medium?? !

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=MtbReview&website=MtbReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=86299&query=retrieval
Yeah, most likely a medium. I know the Santa Cruz frames tend to run small so I did checklist a few large Bullits. I'm 5'11", 32" inseam

Does anyone happen to know the ETT length on the large RFX? Maybe I should just buy the frame for now and start building it up one piece at a time. She doesn't seem to notice or care about smaller ($250-1000) purchases that I make on my credit card. ;)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
KRob...maybe this will do....

KRob said:
Yeah, most likely a medium. I know the Santa Cruz frames tend to run small so I did checklist a few large Bullits. I'm 5'11", 32" inseam

Does anyone happen to know the ETT length on the large RFX? Maybe I should just buy the frame for now and start building it up one piece at a time. She doesn't seem to notice or care about smaller ($250-1000) purchases that I make on my credit card. ;)
Hey KRob, I would seriously consider this bike given the incredible deal (only $1299). They look like they have larges and mediums. I rode one and really like it. It is burly yet not heavy so you will still be able to take it on virtually the same rides, just slower. It is tempting to go with the novelty of an overbuilt bike but perhaps better to get something that will not alter trail selection completely.

This will be about a 29lb pound with 6" travel, with some high-end stuff thrown in.

Some key points worth noting:
* 6" travel frame and Manitou Sherman Flick fork.
* XT front with XTR rear derailleur (sweet at this price!) and XT shifters
* light and sweet Truvativ Stylo Team cranks (I dig em)
* sweet Magura Louise brakes (killer brakes)

I think it will be impossible to beat this deal and I would buy one if I could justify another bike!

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/Items01.asp?NavID=bikemfg&M=483&T=43

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
KRob said:

It sounds like all you need is a tough trail bike that can take a hit. You dont really need much more than 5- 6" of travel unless you are going really huge, 10ft and up.

There are quite a few bikes that fit this bill but not too many that are affordable. Here are some of my favorites for price and performance that can be found used also.

Azonic Sabre (4 bar and 6" of rear travel that can pedal and take a hit)
Santa Cruz Heckler (SP between 5 and 5.6" of travel depending on rear shock and can take a good hit and still be used for epic riding)
Santa Cruz Bullit (7" of rear travel but pedals well and is tougher than a Heckler.
Cannondale Gemini (7" of travel and pedals well like a Bullit and is also a SP)

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FoShizzle said:
Hey KRob, I would seriously consider this bike given the incredible deal (only $1299). They look like they have larges and mediums. I rode one and really like it. It is burly yet not heavy so you will still be able to take it on virtually the same rides, just slower. It is tempting to go with the novelty of an overbuilt bike but perhaps better to get something that will not alter trail selection completely.

This will be about a 29lb pound with 6" travel, with some high-end stuff thrown in.

Some key points worth noting:
* 6" travel frame and Manitou Sherman Flick fork.
* XT front with XTR rear derailleur (sweet at this price!) and XT shifters
* light and sweet Truvativ Stylo Team cranks (I dig em)
* sweet Magura Louise brakes (killer brakes)

I think it will be impossible to beat this deal and I would buy one if I could justify another bike!

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/Items01.asp?NavID=bikemfg&M=483&T=43
You're talking about the 6 shooter, Right? That looks like a pretty good deal, even if you just strip it and use the components on another frame. I'm a little leary about the URT bikes though. Can you say "Monkey Motion"?

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
KRob said:

2002 geometry chart. You could get away with riding a 18 or 19.5 with a 32" inseam. The ETT on the medium 6 Pack is 23.4.

Attachments

·
Banned
236 Posts
ronny said:
It sounds like all you need is a tough trail bike that can take a hit. You dont really need much more than 5- 6" of travel unless you are going really huge, 10ft and up.

There are quite a few bikes that fit this bill but not too many that are affordable. Here are some of my favorites for price and performance that can be found used also.

Azonic Sabre (4 bar and 6" of rear travel that can pedal and take a hit)
Santa Cruz Heckler (SP between 5 and 5.6" of travel depending on rear shock and can take a good hit and still be used for epic riding)
Santa Cruz Bullit (7" of rear travel but pedals well and is tougher than a Heckler.
Cannondale Gemini (7" of travel and pedals well like a Bullit and is also a SP)
...->

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.