Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all !

Been lookin at" maybe" putting a bigger fork like the Marzocchi 66sl 150mm to 170mm on my Bruja someday to replace the 36 ! I want a fork that is still trail ride worthy yet can be adjusted for more travel out to 170 or so for downhilling and such ! Also heard Rock Shox is coming out with a new heavy duty fork ( RS 38 ? ) ! Anybody know the limits or suggested travel range for the Bruja ! Thanks ! TIG.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Bruja was designed...

TIGMAN said:
Hey all !

Been lookin at" maybe" putting a bigger fork like the Marzocchi 66sl 150mm to 170mm on my Bruja someday to replace the 36 ! I want a fork that is still trail ride worthy yet can be adjusted for more travel out to 170 or so for downhilling and such ! Also heard Rock Shox is coming out with a new heavy duty fork ( RS 38 ? ) ! Anybody know the limits or suggested travel range for the Bruja ! Thanks ! TIG.
with at least a 6" in mind and I know that more than a few owners ran Jr. T's and Mr. T's and such even a monster T up front. So yea it can handle the 170 up front. No probem.

I went with the shorter Z1 130mm to tighten up the angles a bit since I knew I wasn't going to be doing true dh on it anyway. With the Z1 I get a 69 Head 74 Seat Anges. (It's also why I use a seatback seatpost, it's the only Ventana prior to the 29'ers to have a steep Seat angle)

You'll only slacken your angles a bit and make it set up more for DH'ing..

Check the A to C length on that 66 though I've heard its a VERY tall fork so you might slacken the angles TOO much. Supposedly they corrected this for 06.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
06 66sl !

Ciclistagonzo said:
with at least a 6" in mind and I know that more than a few owners ran Jr. T's and Mr. T's and such even a monster T up front. So yea it can handle the 170 up front. No probem.

I went with the shorter Z1 130mm to tighten up the angles a bit since I knew I wasn't going to be doing true dh on it anyway. With the Z1 I get a 69 Head 74 Seat Anges. (It's also why I use a seatback seatpost, it's the only Ventana prior to the 29'ers to have a steep Seat angle)

You'll only slacken your angles a bit and make it set up more for DH'ing..

Check the A to C length on that 66 though I've heard its a VERY tall fork so you might slacken the angles TOO much. Supposedly they corrected this for 06.
Hi Aaron !

Yes, the 06 66's have a shorter a to c length than the previous ones , in fact it looks like the 06 66sl set at 150mm is just a tad shorter than the Z1 150mm according to their a to c table on the Marzocchi website ! The 66sl can be adjusted in travel length from 170mm and from what I read even lower than the 150mm travel advertised ! I thinking it would be a good match for the Bruja if the a to c measurements are fairly accurate to the chart ( 535mm at 150 travel - 555mm at 170 travel ) ! I don't want to loose the nice trail riding ability by putting some super tall fork on it but feel the ability to put her out to 170 mm would be a nice feature for the steep's ! Right now I pretty much leave my 36 Talas at full travel which is somewhere around 145mm of actual travel I've been told :( and never felt a desire to lower it for climbing or for any other reason, so I would rather have the ability to adjust for more travel ! I would like to hear more about the new Rock Shox ( 38 ) coming out before making a commitment on the 66 sl though ! TIG. P.S. What is the difference between Int . Standard disc brake mounts and Disc Brake Post Mounts ( which are on the 66 ) ?

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
TIGMAN said:
Hi Aaron !

Yes, the 06 66's have a shorter a to c length than the previous ones , in fact it looks like the 06 66sl set at 150mm is just a tad shorter than the Z1 150mm according to their a to c table on the Marzocchi website ! The 66sl can be adjusted in travel length from 170mm and from what I read even lower than the 150mm travel advertised ! I thinking it would be a good match for the Bruja if the a to c measurements are fairly accurate to the chart ( 535mm at 150 travel - 555mm at 170 travel ) ! I don't want to loose the nice trail riding ability by putting some super tall fork on it but feel the ability to put her out to 170 mm would be a nice feature for the steep's ! Right now I pretty much leave my 36 Talas at full travel which is somewhere around 145mm of actual travel I've been told :( and never felt a desire to lower it for climbing or for any other reason, so I would rather have the ability to adjust for more travel ! I would like to hear more about the new Rock Shox ( 38 ) coming out before making a commitment on the 66 sl though ! TIG. P.S. What is the difference between Int . Standard disc brake mounts and Disc Brake Post Mounts ( which are on the 66 ) ?
The 06' 66 would be a very good choice for the Bruja TIG. Definitely not too tall for that bike. The new RS won't be out for a while, probably an 07' fork.
Larry

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ventanarama said:
The 06' 66 would be a very good choice for the Bruja TIG. Definitely not too tall for that bike. The new RS won't be out for a while, probably an 07' fork.
Larry
I've been pondering a new fork for my Bruja as well......

According to the spec sheet on Ventana's website the A-C length is 20.9 inches or 530.86mm. If the 66 sl is truly 535 then that is pretty close. Right now I am running an 05 Z1 that is 538 mm, according to Zoch. The Z1 does like to come off the ground quite a bit whilie climbing.

Anyone know anything about the A-C measurements for the other 66's?

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Good to hear..

They fixed the A to C issue. That will help them out a lot.

International disc mount is what you have on your FOX right now, and the post mount is what manitou uses. Most brakes can swap between the two but a few (hope?) are made in specific versions.

So check to see if your brakes can mount to post mounts otherwise it may cost more than just the fork swap out.

A Bruja with a 66 sounds like a great match.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a match !

Thanks Larry and Aaron for the input and for the clarification of the International standard and post mounts for disc brakes, I wonder why Marzocchi decided to change to Post Mounts on some of their forks ? I have Hope mono M4's with a 200 mm setup on my 36 , I wonder if I can mount this caliper on the 66sl with post mounts ? XTRKona, Marzocchi has an a to c table of all the 06 forks on their website, hopefully they are correct ! Anyway , I heard that the 66sl is the only 66 model that will be offered in 150mm - 170mm the rest are going to be offered in 170mm travel only in the US. Check out the Downhill/ Freeride forums there is a recent review of the 66sl posted there ! TIG.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This post mount thing....

On zoch's website they say that the post mounts fit 6 inch rotors and if you use an 8 inch rotor you need an adaptor. Do people actually run 66's with 6 inch rotors?

Someone above also stated that the Hope's don't fit post mounts. I use the Hope 6 pot on my Bruja so I guess this won't fit on the 66sl which otherwise was looking like a damn fine choice.

Why the change in this mounting system? Is one better than the other? Why change from the International standard which seemed to be working just fine to me?

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
creationrebel said:
XTR.....I think you just need the Hope adaptor for post mount. CR
The Hope post mount adapter requires that you go up in rotor size. If I remember correctly you'd have to use a #3 caliper (normally for 160mm front) and the post mount adapter to run a 200mm rotor.
Larry
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
They actually run in 20mm increments, so using the correct adapter with a 160mm rotor would mean that you will have to use a 180mm rotor, like wise, a 180mm rotor will have to be replace with a 200mm rotor.

·
Registered
502 Posts
drumstix said:
They actually run in 20mm increments, so using the correct adapter with a 160mm rotor would mean that you will have to use a 180mm rotor, like wise, a 180mm rotor will have to be replace with a 200mm rotor.
So by this logic since I am already running the 205mm (or is it 203) rotor then I will have to go up in size to a 9" rotor. Sweet!

But seriously, what happens if I am already running the 200mm rotor?

·
Registered
502 Posts
creationrebel said:
XTR.....I think you just need the Hope adaptor for post mount. Manitou always claimed that the post mount was better. maybe they were right and Marzocchi is coming around to it ?

I'm still rockin the 2004 Z1 FR on my Bruja and it works great for my all-mountain riding.

Schotter put the AM 1 on his Bruja at 150mm and it is sweet.

CR
I took the 04 Z1 Sl off of my Salty and put a Pushed Talas on instead. Much better fit. The Z1 SL was too tall.

I want to take the 05 Z1 off my Bruja and put it on my Kona Stinky cuz the 02 Z1 that's on there now has minimal tunability and basically sux. That way, when my bro's come to town and we wanna go ride the nasty stuff they will have a worthwhile pig to ride. (Nice way of justifying my mild case of upgradeides.)

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
XTRKona said:
So by this logic since I am already running the 205mm (or is it 203) rotor then I will have to go up in size to a 9" rotor. Sweet!

But seriously, what happens if I am already running the 200mm rotor?
If you're already running a 200mm then you'd have to get a new caliper to switch to post mount.
Larry

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ouch !

Ventanarama said:
If you're already running a 200mm then you'd have to get a new caliper to switch to post mount.
Larry
Yeah, I just got off the Hope website and it verified the same info on switching calipers from Int. standard to post mount forks ! Since I have a 200mm rotor in front and use a # 8 caliper on my 36, I would need to get a # 3 caliper and an adapter to be able to use my Hope M4's on the 66sl ! TIG.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Double check with Hope

you may just be able to buy another caliper half ($50 or so) to swap to post mount from IS. Easy work and a lot cheaper than a whole new brake.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not a bad idea !

Soupboy said:
you may just be able to buy another caliper half ($50 or so) to swap to post mount from IS. Easy work and a lot cheaper than a whole new brake.
Thanks Soupboy ! If I do swap, I'll consider this option to ease the cost ! ;) TIG.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.