Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume most riders on regular trails know their "best time/lap".

What is the best way to monitor one's own improvement? Should I aim for improvement by seconds, quarter of a minute, half a minute, full minute?

A second would seem so petty, but yet it would be improvement. While a minute would be more improvement, and be a constant reminder/challenge in the back of the head while riding...

Curious,
S6

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I'd don't think about my rides in terms of how much time it takes to get from point A to point B. I just go out and have fun. I'm not there to race or go as fast as I can. I'm only out to get some exercise and have fun doing it. I guess I measure my rides in smiles.

If you want to measure your fitness, speed, etc... get a bike computer and/or a heart rate monitor. I think some of the fancy monitors down load all the info into a log on your computer to track your training.

·
too tired to be clever
117 Posts
Bike computers

I use low-priced ($25) computers, and they tell me time spent moving, average speed, and elapsed time (if I remember to set the stopwatch). I have several favorite rides, and in writing this I realized that I do compare how I did upon completing a ride, to how I remember doing in the past. Usually I know if I'm doing well, or not, and the data at the end just gives me an objective measure. Time moving and average speed tell me the same thing (for the same distance) and the elapsed time is a measure of how much time I spent catching my breath and recovering from crashes.

On the rare occasion I do a group ride on a favorite trail sequence, I realize how much time is spent socializing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.