Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a trek 6500 and would like to replace the stock 80mm manitou axel elite(way too soft) and see a great deal on a Marzocchi MX comp. Since this is 105 mm of tracel, how badly will my geomtry be screwed up? Would it be terribly noticable? I ride urban and xc if it matters.

And also a quick noob question, does ETA basically mean a lockout?

·
I throw poo
417 Posts
It will make your steering slower, and may void your warrenty. You might like the (one degree-ish) slacker head angle. I believe ETA is more of a lock down than a lock out. I think that it shortens your fork/travel for climbing.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
You'll be OK.

The travel increase is 25mm but down at sag the difference is only 15mm.

That will jack up your geo like half degree (or less). I doubt it will get you any warranty issues but check with the manufacturer of the frame.

The ETA is a lock down indeed. It's awesome for climbing as it locks the fork down avoiding it to extend back to full travel

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm confused about the lockdown. Does this mean that the height will be the same all the time(and still be locked out like my manitou axel) or does it mean that it will look like I just landed off a big jump and is compressed?
Also, sorry for not being to educated on this topic.
And also again, I just looked on ebay and it said this was a 29er fork. That's false, right? I'm looking at the 2005 model.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
mondaycurse said:
I'm confused about the lockdown. Does this mean that the height will be the same all the time(and still be locked out like my manitou axel) or does it mean that it will look like I just landed off a big jump and is compressed?
lock down means its locked at the bottom of its travel so the fork is shorter, and as a result helps keep the nose down on climbs. my fork has this feature, but i never felt the need to use it so far.

Stu

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
The geometry shouldn't be too bad (have a friend who did it for his GF and she loves it) The lock-down feature locks the fork down leaving you w/ 30mm of travel (like if u just landed a jump and the fork compressed) so it brings the front of the bike down and helps stops the front from wanting to pop up when climbing - nice feature in theory. It could b a 29er fork u ask the seller.

·
Registered
33 Posts
mondaycurse said:
I own a trek 6500 and would like to replace the stock 80mm manitou axel elite(way too soft) and see a great deal on a Marzocchi MX comp. Since this is 105 mm of tracel, how badly will my geomtry be screwed up? Would it be terribly noticable? I ride urban and xc if it matters.

And also a quick noob question, does ETA basically mean a lockout?

Hey,
I have a 6700, and I'm switching the stock junk (100mm rock shox) with a Marz marathon XC this week. This is 105mm-120mm, and I plan on running at 105 to start. I agree that your new fork should not change your geometry too much, the steering may be a bit slower than before. A lot of the people I've talked to say the overrall improvement in handling with a better fork offsets the difference. Hope it goes well!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
STOP!!! Do NOT buy that fork!!!!...here's why....

mondaycurse said:
And also again, I just looked on ebay and it said this was a 29er fork. That's false, right? I'm looking at the 2005 model.
If I remember correctly Marzocchi did make a version of the MX Comp for 29" wheeled bikes!!! If this is what is being offered then it WILL NOT fit your bike correctly. Specifically the wheel. Your bike uses 26" wheels, a 29er (obviously) uses 29" wheels. 3 inches larger in diameter than your wheels! If you are using rim brakes the brakes would not line up with the braking surface of your rims when installed on the fork. If you are using disc brakes this would not be a problem, but, a fork designed for 29" wheels is 3 inches taller either in the stanchions or the lowers, or a combination of the two, to accomodate the larger wheel. This makes the fork AT LEAST 3" longer than your current fork, and possibly incompatable with your brakes. The added length of the 29er fork would REALLY screw up your geometry!!!! Check CAREFULLY with the seller if your getting this fork off of ebay and make sure of what you are getting. If it is a fork for a 29" bike then pass on it. It might fit your bike, but it will be WAY too long for your bikes geometry.

Good Dirt

·
I throw poo
417 Posts
mondaycurse said:
If it's a 29er fork, then you won't want to get it. That means that it is designed for a 29 inch wheel, not a 26 like your bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts