Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
772 Posts
You probably get everything from "I rode one worse than that for 5 years" to "replace immediately".

I don't think I'd be comfortable with a rim like that if my bike was leaving the ground at a bike park. But I did just sell an old bike, I was cleaning it up to post pictures and noticed a dent very similar to that, not knowing when I did it. I didn't have a crack though, that would bother me.

· Registered
2,697 Posts
Its kind of hard to tell from the photos.

The size of the dent isn't itself very worrying to me... but is that a crack at the top of the dent? Or is that just paint buckling? If there isn't a crack at the top of the dent, I'd keep riding that for sure. But if its a crack? I'd be worried about that myself.

The crack around the spoke nipple is somewhat worrying as well. I've never had a spoke hole crack like that, but I'd assume that the risk there is losing all spoke tension, which likely just means that the wheel is starting a "death spiral". Meaning, in and of itself, thats not a big deal, but a single loose spoke leads to more loose spokes, which leads to complete loss of wheel tension, which usually means a dead wheel.

Which means if that is a question of "when", rather than "if". And if its a "when", why not do it sooner rather than later (assuming of course you have the money to do it).

· furker
919 Posts
I'd personally say chuck it or retire it to light duty.

At the very least, mark the ends of any cracks with a paint pen or a permanent marker. Check if the cracks grow past the marks. If they do, chuck it immediately. The damage will just accelerate if the cracks start to grow at all.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe the only crack is at the spoke. The dent has a decal over it which got bunched up.

I do plan to replace it, just wondering how much risk I am taking on a scale from one to base jumping until I am able to replace it.

· Pro Crastinator
12,397 Posts
I do plan to replace it, just wondering how much risk I am taking on a scale from one to base jumping until I am able to replace it.
depends which one it is. the rear wheel generally sees more stress than the front, but it is much safer if it just decides to explode. rear wheel clapping out may lead to a quick skidding type feeling where the front exploding will send you flying like superman...

· This place needs an enema
17,703 Posts
For park and other abusive riding I'd remove that nip, install a washer between nip and rim, then tension it back up.

That'll likely get you through the rest of the season.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
I'd drill a 1/16" hole at the end of the cack and monitor. This will relieve the stress riser a bit and spread it out over a larger surface area. If the crack propagates and jumps the hole I'd move on at that point.

Like said above, the washer would be a good idea too.

· Registered
433 Posts
Looks like it's just the decal bunched up, maybe the paint under it cracked. Clean the area, remove the decal and inspect it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.