Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke another fork. I have something that will hold me for now, but its A-C is ~450mm (a 26er On-One). The broken one is ~490mm. The seat angle has changed to ~75.5 degrees, while the head tube is ~74.5. The BB height is now ~11.4".

Instant crash? I guess I'll find out :D

If this gets ugly, I'll have to dig up that Karate Monkey fork (~470mm A-C) somewhere in my bass-ment.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Drevil said:
So I broke another fork. I have something that will hold me for now, but its A-C is ~450mm (a 26er On-One). The broken one is ~490mm. The seat angle has changed to ~75.5 degrees, while the head tube is ~74.5. The BB height is now ~11.4".

Instant crash? I guess I'll find out :D

If this gets ugly, I'll have to dig up that Karate Monkey fork (~470mm A-C) somewhere in my bass-ment.
Instant? Nah... as long as the ride starts out going up a hill you're golden. You shouldn't crash until the first downhill.

I wouldn't ride that, but hey. It's going to be fun pedaling through the rocks as well; make sure to run it fixie to maximize the suffering.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MightySchmoePong said:
Instant? Nah... as long as the ride starts out going up a hill you're golden. You shouldn't crash until the first downhill.

I wouldn't ride that, but hey. It's going to be fun pedaling through the rocks as well; make sure to run it fixie to maximize the suffering.
Suffering is overrated.

It felt weird. When I rode no-handed, the front wheel kept trying to turn by itself. It took very little hand movement to make the bike turn. Too nervous -- or if you want a positive spin -- too telepathic. :D

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Drevil said:
It's smart. It's a sticker.
When you look at the break, is there any sign of corrosion in the wall of the tube? I'd be curious where the break began. I've seen them go right at the junction, but don't think I've seen one break after the bend.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gunit said:
What is the story with the broken fork? Did you survive unscathed?
I was riding around a park (Lake Accotink & Wakefield in Northern Virginia) for about an hour. I heard creaking about 30 minutes into the ride, and it grew progressively louder. I thought it was a loose stem, wheel, or quick release, so after making sure they were all tight, I continued with the ride.

Then it got really loud, so I leaned over the bars to retighten my skewer but noticed the wheel was way over to the right, almost touching the leg. I inspected the leg and saw sunlight peeking through, i.e., the crack was almost all the way around the circumference. So I hopped off the bike and walked back to the car. When I took off the wheel, there was only about 2mm of metal holding the leg onto the fork. I got home and put the bike in the stand, then the leg fell off. I got real lucky. :D

I don't crash much, but maybe I'm just pushing these bikes too hard. I like to hop around and try stuff over and over. I don't catch big air, but tech "chunk" (as mikesee likes to call it) is my fav.

I broke the frame that came with this fork last X-mas. The fork wasn't replaced because it seemed ok at the time. Around the same time, I super-tweaked my ti fork enough that James is making me a replacement. I cracked my ti frame last month. I've never gotten hurt though. I hope my next bike can stand up to my fat 158lb arse.

G

·
on a totally different topic...

in the most recent Dirt Rag pic of you... is the bike in the background a ti Strong 96er?

Nice pic, btw :thumbsup:

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
D.F.L. said:
When you look at the break, is there any sign of corrosion in the wall of the tube? I'd be curious where the break began. I've seen them go right at the junction, but don't think I've seen one break after the bend.
I wish I could find my good cameras so I can do some close shots. There's very light surface rust, but nothing that I feel could have led to it cracking the way it did.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I broke my mariachi fork by not having enough speed over a gap jump, and it looked very similar to that break. I have had good luck with the surly KM forks. They ride a little rougher, but seem to be very durable so far. Oddly enough, the only rigid fork I have had good luck with is my WB rock solid. But it is too scary to huck that, and that is why it is still around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.