Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got into mountain bike riding, bought a giant trance 2, i have been dirtbike riding for years, as well as road bikes, and even though i have only just entered the world of mountain biking, I have been doing massive jumps and just generally riding it like a motor cross bike.

When I bought the bike, they agreed to chuck in some of those cheap generic pedals (the type that your would find on the cheapest bike) for free, and Ive just been using them. Ive only been for maybe 10 rides on it, and they seem to be holding up OK, i sheered the outside rim off one of the pedals on a rock but apart from that they have not failed.

I am just a bit concerned that soon i might hit a jump and upon landing have a pedal just snap off on me. Is this a legitimate concern or are they generally built strong enough that this situation is unlikely?

Or is it a must to rock a proper pedal?

·
Registered
14,885 Posts
It is unlikely they will catastrophically fail but eventually the plastic that contains the bearing race will give up the ghost. The worst thing about them is their lack of grip, especially when wet. Good pedals and shoes are a very worthwhile upgrade.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Piling on to what JB said:

You can get (relatively) inexpensive flats like Sun Ringle Zuzus or Wellgo MG-1s that perform quite well, but a good shoe is a must. A lot of people on here ride 5.10s, but you can also look at the likes of DC, Vans, Chrome, Teva, et. al. The basic idea it a flat shoe with a low profile tread that the pins can interface with.

Also, for what it's worth, Giant markets a flat that isn't bad for the price, so if the shop has it, it might be a good place to start. And shin guards if you anticipate coming off the pedals in your daily riding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts