Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Text Line Diagram Illustration Drawing

OK so lemme start off by saying I know nothing about electronics (and it probably shows). Above are the guts of a light I want to build. What's wrong (or right) about the diagram. My plan is to not have a power switch but rather just plug and un-plug for power but use a potentiometer (from 0-100) to adjust brightness.

Is there something missing? Is there something totally wrong?? Any/all comments welcomed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Dirty, By wiring the stars in parallel each one only sees 1/3 of the current from the buckpuck.

If you use a 12volt pack (or higher ) connect the stars in series and they will be waaay brighter!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See that, already I learned something. The only problem I see with wiring in series is how to work that into how it is all housed. But brightness is the goal. Thanks Bump.

Is this how it should look?

Text Line Diagram Illustration Drawing

·
Registered
9 Posts
zen bicycle said:
yes each LED will get 1 amp and the total forward voltage will be about 10.8 volts or so + overhead for the buck puck.

14.4v battery pack for you
I am looking at doing this set up with two cree q5's at 1 amp. using the same buckpuck. I calculated 7.2+ over head. I was looking at the 11.1 volt battery packs that have a minimum discharge of 9.0 volts. Are two q5's running at 1 amp going to be enough light(tight single track trails I know pretty well) ? I see a lot of tri set ups, but not sure if need that much. The 11.1 volt batteries are a lot cheaper then the 14. This will be my first DIY light so i am not sure. How do you calculate expected amount of time a battery will last? Say you have a 11.1 volt 2200mAh battery with my two q5 set up and 1 amp buckpuck?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.