Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of replacing my Iodine's with the I9 Maybe gray hubs on orange spokes. Any issues? Are the bearings holding up ok? Is the I9 rim tubeless convertible a la Stan's (with just yellow tape) or do they need the whole strip?

Any info appreciated.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,333 Posts
In the system wheelset world, a move from Iodines to I9 will be a MAJOR upgrade.
The new I9 rims are UST spec, so tubeless compatible, but based on the UST (ETRTO) specification, not Stan's. The are designed to be run with UST or "tubeless ready" tires and likely won't convert regular tires as easily as Stan's will. That said, you can get I9 wheels with Flows if you want to go Stan's route.
*edit*
I don't ride system wheelsets, but a couple of buddies of mine swear by I9 and won't ride anything else, and their customer service is phenomenal.

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

Hmm, last time I saw a pic of the rim (the AM one, not the flow) it looked like a regular one, with all the spoke holes in it. Can someone confirm?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I went through this myself just two weeks ago.

I9 wheels are UST ready in the Enduro and DH line ONLY. The rims in those two lines have the UST profile bead, and you just need to run one strip of Stan's Yellow Tape to seal the rims for tuebless. The AM line, XC and the rest of the rims do not have the UST profile.

With that being said, if you were going to get an I9 wheels new, you can have any rim you want, they even have one XC set prebuilt with Stan's Flow rims.

Colour will be a personal preference, but I have two sets of CKs, and now three sets of I9s, and I love them all :)

Oh, if you are not after the lightest weight, I would get their Enduro hubs. They can be converted to any front size you need, where as the XC hubs can go up to 15mm only.

·
Category Winner
6,098 Posts
macming said:
Oh, if you are not after the lightest weight, I would get their Enduro hubs. They can be converted to any front size you need, where as the XC hubs can go up to 15mm only.
+1 on the Enduro hubs. All my I9's were built up on an XC front until my last set. I wished I woulda went this way on all of them. Makes so much sense as far as future versatility goes.

20mm with a Rock Shox Maxle Lite = Super stiff front end

·
pusher of buttons
52 Posts
enduro is the wheelset for any fork option. Also on tubeless, you can convert almost any rim to tubeless with the tape or ghetto option. I have had mine custom laced to Syncros DS 28mm rim and the DP25. No issues, made the DP25 rim tubeless.

On durability, awesome.
I rotate my DS28 between my Heckler and Intense SS pending riding area and they are still straight after 4+ years of abuse. I maybe have them on the stand once a year. Currently building up a set with Classic hub to LaserDisc Dh for dh use. No issues with bearings, just some minor cap adjustment on rear for the first month or so. Cap controls the bearing preload on rear wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts