Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just a bit too much snow to ride up here. How are the conditions in S. Maine, New Hampshire? I am thinking about coming down Thursday to ride. Bear Brook would be my first choice but I really don't care. I would imagine having someone along that knew where the hell they were going would help. If anyone has time for some guiding I would be down. Has anyone ridden Mt. A lately? Bradbury?
Ice does not worry me.
I am set for winter riding with studs, duds and lights. If anyone is down let me know.

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
Haven't been over to BB since the ice/sleet storm last week but I've been riding on my local trails and they are very sketchy and I am guessing conditions are similar at BB. The sleet we got turned central nh into a frozen hellscape. The riding is really fast as long as you watch it on the corners (even with studs). I may have to switch out the factory studded tires for my monster studded homebrews (5/8 sheet metal screws) for additional traction if conditions don't improve.

We got about an inch of snow last night and I am hoping for a little warmth today to bind it to the ice layer below to improve traction.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which studs are you running? I have a set of hakkas and a set of freddies. Riding fast on ice has never really been a problem with either set with the freddies walloping the hakkas in the control department.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ha...
That is what I thought. I know what you mean with the homemades...they can tear you up if you aren't careful. So..is anyone down for a Thursday ride? I am interested in how the trails are in S. Maine as well.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Sketch you say??

Indy, it's pretty hairy out on the real trails, I did a short ride on some mello rolling flats the other day, was all good, there was one very steep off camber pitch I wiped on, slid down about 50 feet into the frozen brook:eek: nothing could stop ya. It's suppose to be colder than a witch's tit Thurs and Friday. I may be riding BB Sat and or Sun if you want to join in.

Nate

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just got back from riding Ft Rock, and was real surprised, the 1-2" of powder we got today really didn't affect the trails.
I could hear the ground crunching, but frozen trails equal good riding.
Not sure if I am going to be in Exeter on Thursday, but if I am, I could show you around on a lunch ride.
I will know more by Wed. afternoon, short notice I know, but....

-Dan

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats fine..

AOF said:
I just got back from riding Ft Rock, and was real surprised, the 1-2" of powder we got today really didn't affect the trails.
I could hear the ground crunching, but frozen trails equal good riding.
Not sure if I am going to be in Exeter on Thursday, but if I am, I could show you around on a lunch ride.
I will know more by Wed. afternoon, short notice I know, but....

-Dan
It would give me time to get down there and get back up to S.Maine to visit the fam. Let me know. I might hit you up late Wed or early thursday if you don't get back to me sooner than tomorrow afternoon. No worries either way.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which tires are you running?

snowdrifter said:
Indy, it's pretty hairy out on the real trails, I did a short ride on some mello rolling flats the other day, was all good, there was one very steep off camber pitch I wiped on, slid down about 50 feet into the frozen brook:eek: nothing could stop ya. It's suppose to be colder than a witch's tit Thurs and Friday. I may be riding BB Sat and or Sun if you want to join in.

Nate
Got the studs on? That experience must have been an eye opener? I have done stuff like that. A week and a half ago we were riding this super tech trail along the madawamkeag river north of here. I hit this diagonally placed root on an off camber corner. Bike tried to go one way while I went the other and almost went into the river. Not a stream, a river running 6-7000. Heart skipped, forgot about it and kept riding.

·
sinner
226 Posts
indyfab25 said:
It would give me time to get down there and get back up to S.Maine to visit the fam. Let me know. I might hit you up late Wed or early thursday if you don't get back to me sooner than tomorrow afternoon. No worries either way.
Hey Indy,

The sled trails are groomed hard by my house and there isn't quite enough snow for mobiling yet. I am heading out hopfully later tonight w/ madden and malmer. I will let you know or you can come if you want.

justin.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I was curious about that...

itchyjesus said:
Hey Indy,

The sled trails are groomed hard by my house and there isn't quite enough snow for mobiling yet. I am heading out hopfully later tonight w/ madden and malmer. I will let you know or you can come if you want.

justin.
Gotta work at 5 until 8 or so. Lemme know how it is regardless. Snowshoeing and xc skiing isn't going to cut it for me.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
indyfab25 said:
Got the studs on? That experience must have been an eye opener? I have done stuff like that. A week and a half ago we were riding this super tech trail along the madawamkeag river north of here. I hit this diagonally placed root on an off camber corner. Bike tried to go one way while I went the other and almost went into the river. Not a stream, a river running 6-7000. Heart skipped, forgot about it and kept riding.
I was sporting Conti Spike Claws, 240 studs per tire. The first time I've ridden with studs, first time I've ridden ICE, the stuff was like a Zamboni had just put down a fresh coat on it.
It was a pretty good steep, about 70ft at 35* pitch (behind my house). In retrospect, I should have just straght lined it, instead of scrubbing speed. The rear end went, and shazam.... nothing to do but cry momma... Lesson learned, no brake scrubbing allowed.

I have some Freddies Revenz I'm mounting soon. 336 studs, delightful!

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are one to talk mister rock crawler to drop extraordinaire... :)
We are all kooks IMHO.
Snowdrifter you will love the freddies. They hook up extremely well. I have ridden some dicey icy sections with no problems at speed. I don't know about the situation you were in...that would seem to be the limit for any studded tire.

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
snowdrifter said:
I was sporting Conti Spike Claws, 240 studs per tire. The first time I've ridden with studs, first time I've ridden ICE, the stuff was like a Zamboni had just put down a fresh coat on it.
It was a pretty good steep, about 70ft at 35* pitch (behind my house). In retrospect, I should have just straght lined it, instead of scrubbing speed. The rear end went, and shazam.... nothing to do but cry momma... Lesson learned, no brake scrubbing allowed.

I have some Freddies Revenz I'm mounting soon. 336 studs, delightful!
It's all about commiting to a line and staying off the brakes in these conditions.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
snowdrifter said:
Yeah, think I was testing the darkside off winter riding constraints..

YoG, you fairweather fan..
You called it right there son.
I am a total pu$$y when it comes to winter (bike) riding. I tried to do a road ride last week, within the first mile I was already starting to crumble and turned back for home. :madman:

Greg

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What's the problem?

yogreg said:
You called it right there son.
I am a total pu$$y when it comes to winter (bike) riding. I tried to do a road ride last week, within the first mile I was already starting to crumble and turned back for home. :madman:

Greg
Is it just the cold or something else?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.