Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds impossible, doesn't it? Wouldn't an e-bike make someone more weak and lazy, and not more strong and motivated? Based on the below results, I would argue it's the latter:

1. I appreciate a lighter bike much more now.
This doesn't necessarily happen on dirt, but on pavement a 56 lb e-bike rides about the same speed as a lightweight 15-20 lb road bike. At 200-350 watts, I am the same speed uphill as an experienced road biker with an expensive, lightweight bike. Which means the goal could certainly be a transition from an e-bike on pavement to a lightweight bike (road or mountain w/skinny tires), to see if a similar speed uphill could be achieved.

2. I want to ride faster on a normal bike.
Call it muscle memory, or just the memory of going faster with the e-bike. My mind constantly remembers going faster on the e-bike, even if it's on completely different trails. Which translates to me wanting to go faster on a normal bike. My overall loop times, climbing times, and average watts have improved on my normal bike since I've purchased an e-bike. I just don't want to ride at the same pace anymore, electric power or not.

3. I'm much more focused on specific 'good' trails with a normal bike.
I'm riding most of the time (at least most of the miles) on an e-bike, so if I only ride 1-2 times a week with a normal bike, it had better include a good downhill trail. No more messing around with gravel/fireroads on a normal bike. That's for the e-bike now. One may argue that I've lost something. No...I've lost nothing. I still do all kinds of trails and gravel/fireroads with both bikes, but they are simply differentiated now. And perhaps most importantly, I'm trying out new hills/mountains with the e-bike that I would not even think of doing with a normal bike. More experience, more trail diversity = more differentiation of what tools are in the garage to do specific jobs.

4. I'm logging more miles...and they are 100% pedal miles.
Zero throttle miles. These are not dirt bikes. You pedal all the time except when coasting, like like on a normal bike. Yes, you do not pedal as hard uphill as on a normal bike but it's still a workout, it's just a different workout. When all is said and done, and the ride is over, I may not be as excited about a great downhill ride, but I'm still satisfied and can still feel the endorphin rush after a good ride. Still fun, still rewarding.

5. Climbing is not a chore anymore.
It's a challenge now, not a chore, and it's way, way more fun. There have been many times that I've had maybe 60-90 minutes to get out and ride around my neighborhood, and I had to quickly choose between a normal bike and an e-bike. The majority of the time, probably 3/4 of the time the e-bike was chosen. And it wasn't to go downhill, it was to practice climbing. I actually chose to practice climbing instead of choosing to do a quick downhill session. And this happens often. Climbing has become fun. I've also learned by necessity to do a hybrid of crouching over the bars and front tire (the crawl) and standing up, where I mostly stand up but am leaning over the front tire at the same time. That ends up being a good win-win for torque on the pedals and keeping the front tire planted at the same time. If I didn't have the e-bike, I may have never learned this hybrid climbing technique.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It is equally interesting what those that despise e-bikes can craft up.
I wonder if, eventually, there will be less arguments surrounding e-bikes.

All new technology has haters and eventually the technology becomes acceptable. Can't wait to see what is next that gets the hate going to where the e-bike hate will be forgotten. ;)

·
Cat Herder
4,775 Posts

All new technology has haters and eventually the technology becomes acceptable. Can't wait to see what is next that gets the hate going to where the e-bike hate will be forgotten. ;)
Not all new technology is accepted.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Friends dont let friends ride eMtbs on the road. ?
Humm, there's some logic here. If the road up is faster than climbing on a fire road, maybe it's a good option. Most of us are in it for the downhill. So, if you get a few more loops in your 3 hours climbing on the road, is it worth it to look the other way when your friend take off up the road.

Besides, he/she can take that option to taunt a snooty roadie as he/she zipps by

·
Registered
5,973 Posts

Just ask a roadie 10 years ago about disc brakes. You'd get frowns and stuck up noses. Now, ask them today. (I'll quote a friend) "I'm getting downhill PRs all day. I just feel more confident in braking"

·
Banned
325 Posts
I've also learned by necessity to do a hybrid of crouching over the bars and front tire (the crawl) and standing up, where I mostly stand up but am leaning over the front tire at the same time. That ends up being a good win-win for torque on the pedals and keeping the front tire planted at the same time. If I didn't have the e-bike, I may have never learned this hybrid climbing technique.
Congrats!

You just disproved that riding your electric motor bicycle is making you a better overall rider.

While this goofy positioning might be necessary to maintain traction on your front wheel drive electric motor bicycle, that is exactly what you don't want to do to maintain traction on loose, steep climbs when riding a normal bike.

Extra points for not understanding this fundamental MTB truth!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure why all the ebike haters hang out in the ebike forum. I had left mtbr forums due to all the hate. I was messaged for another thread I watched and popped in here....I suppose children need to post somewhere...where are all the adults at? I like bikes of all kinds and look forward to meeting haters face to face....life is too short to waste time debating idiots online although they are very fun to meet one on one in person.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
It's of course all about reps. I got WAY better at descending back in the 90s when I picked up a 200 E/XC and started riding it a lot - because you get as much "bike" handling time/cornering/traction control/practice/etc in a day as you would in an entire season of riding a mountain bike. The climb/descend ratio on a normal ride is what, 75/25 at best?

I can imagine e-bikes would be similar, though to a smaller extent since unless you're pretty fit and trying hard, you're not getting air/braking into corners on the climbs. But you're still quicker than you would be, you're fresher for the descents, etc.

-Walt

·
Registered
64 Posts
My thoughts exactly all the ebike haters seem to monitor this Ebike forum constantly just too swoop down and attack every single post that is made it's sad really that they cant find any thing to make them happy in life so they need to attack other people online to feel better about themselves

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
My thoughts exactly all the ebike haters seem to monitor this Ebike forum constantly just too swoop down and attack every single post that is made it's sad really that they cant find any thing to make them happy in life so they need to attack other people online to feel better about themselves
Not sure why all the ebike haters hang out in the ebike forum. I had left mtbr forums due to all the hate. I was messaged for another thread I watched and popped in here....I suppose children need to post somewhere...where are all the adults at? I like bikes of all kinds and look forward to meeting haters face to face....life is too short to waste time debating idiots online although they are very fun to meet one on one in person.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's of course all about reps. I got WAY better at descending back in the 90s when I picked up a 200 E/XC and started riding it a lot - because you get more "bike" handling time/cornering/traction control/practice/etc in a day as you would in an entire season of riding a mountain bike.

I can imagine e-bikes would be similar, though to a smaller extent since unless you're pretty fit and trying hard, you're not getting air/braking into corners on the climbs.

-Walt
I found the same thing after I started riding dirt bikes. It helped me read the trail better at higher speeds.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice post Rich. I've found the same thing, but my "regular bike" time has dwindled to 0% in the 10 months I've had an eMTB. I'm just not interested in crawling up hills when I have a much better tool for the job in the garage.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
For the record, it's tough climbing in TX summer heat, in the TX hill country.

If E-Bikes became legal to ride on public trails here locally, and someone made a retrofit kit for my existing bike or someone sold a low power one that weighed 36# or .under, I'd utilize one in the summer months for sure.

Of course I'd also park in the handicap spaces if it were legal to do so for the exact same reasons.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.