Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the Big S put out their original mtb from 1980 in limited qty.. I would have like them to be brave enough to put the Stumpie model design from say 1994-95 back to a steel frame and see how that sold. I say they are big enough company and many dealers to offer it to the public. What a brave move that would have been and to mass produce it for the whole year.

I say they probably would have sold more than they would have thought if done right. What do I mean by done right, really advertise it. I find the retro bike they are offering this yr ok. Also if any Specialized company employee who is here and looks at this forum and reports back to headqtrs. How about a response from the Big S.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Great idea

Other companies have done similar things (Redline comes to mind). Build an almost identical version of the original bike and sell it as a limited edition. People would buy it.

Bob

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
The problem is that specialized was not a super highend brand back in 94-95. Now if you could get Tom Ritchey to redo his p23 or a Yeti FRO or a fat chance yo eddie or a Mtn Goat wiskey town racer. Oh wait somebody is already doing the wiskey town racers. Back in 94 the highest end steel frames were all filet brazed, handmade in america and canada. Specialized frames were tig welded crap from asia just like mongoose and diamond back. They weren't bad but they weren't special either. The only reason the 80's stumpy is cool is cause it's like the first prodution mtn bike. Legend is, the big S tried to steal Ritchey's design to make that one anyways.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
No offense, but I don't think that would be a big seller. What's special about the 94 or 95 model?

They build the retro Stumpy this year to celebrate the 25 years of the Stumpjumper. Going back to the original makes sense for that. It may not be completely retro with the XT cranks and XO rear derailleur, but they did go to some lengths on the frame and some other pieces of the bike.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I had a 94 stumpie and dont recall the steel version being available and I was in the lbs every day for 3 months while I saved up for the AL. I thought the steel predated predated '94?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for response and o ya forgot about ritchey and highend steel, right about that. My friend has the 95 model and they are steel. Why the 95 I guess cause never had the original model.

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
Said well

Maida7 said:
The problem is that specialized was not a super highend brand back in 94-95. Now if you could get Tom Ritchey to redo his p23 or a Yeti FRO or a fat chance yo eddie or a Mtn Goat wiskey town racer... Back in 94 the highest end steel frames were all filet brazed, handmade in america and canada. Specialized frames were tig welded crap from asia just like mongoose and diamond back. They weren't bad but they weren't special either. The only reason the 80's stumpy is cool is cause it's like the first prodution mtn bike. Legend is, the big S tried to steal Ritchey's design to make that one anyways.
I agree. A retro Specialized would just be a gimmick to grab our money. I am sure if people wanted these bikes you could find one on ebay, garage sale, goodwill, etc. But try finding a handmade Ritchey. Good Luck. IMO somebody who would really spend their money to buy a vintage bike would rather drop their coin on a beautiful, hand made, filet brazed ridable art, rather than a mass produced POS. But don't look for some thing like that in the near future, Tom is working on more important things: http://www.projectrwanda.org/

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Usually reproductions don't come off so well. Finding enough NOS parts to make it remotely faithful would make even producing more than a handful very problematic. And, if you go with new componentry, then really why bother? (The "inspired by" graphic treatment is cool, like the new orange Z1)

You can never go home again.

Specialized probably does have the ability to make something very cool, but realistically I see something like that going to their Top 3 dealers..

·
Registered
937 Posts
i think what he's trying to say, is that Specialized should come out with a steel Stumpjumper again, like they used to make. not a retro, with slack angles and superlong chainstays, but a modern bike, using modern geometry, and built with one of the high-end steel tubesets available today.

seems a lot of folks are going back to, or looking for, steel hardtails, an option conspicuously absent from the Specialized lineup.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Yup gone from Spec, but..

Still available from others.

Jamis, Rocky, (I think Kona too) and a few others still make production steel bikes, and if you want to go custom or sem-custom there are even more offerings.

Steel bikes are not for everyone, just like 29's, Duallies, or Fixies. I'm cool with that. If Spec doesn't want to do it, I'll go elsewhere.

JmZ

Owner of a Steel Interloc. Sweet ride.

rufus said:
i think what he's trying to say, is that Specialized should come out with a steel Stumpjumper again, like they used to make. not a retro, with slack angles and superlong chainstays, but a modern bike, using modern geometry, and built with one of the high-end steel tubesets available today.

seems a lot of folks are going back to, or looking for, steel hardtails, an option conspicuously absent from the Specialized lineup.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rufus is right on!

Ok not making others mad but Rufus has gotten it right in what i was trying to say. I probably did not say it right. Also I do not think kona is making a steel complete bike this yr either? Jamis is and that is cool, but I mean a full bike too, rock is only selling a frame again i believe. Yes if the big S using is it tang prest. or colombus tubing, but I do not see them doing that at this point, I truly believe when i think about it now, big S would never do it. They probably would use a steel metal and call it their own. They would be fine with that, but then again if truly using a tang prst. frame material or other type it would truly say something. Also I am not a huge fan of their but they do but out good products. I am not a bike expert either.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Not to make you mad but, I think Rufus gave your first post more credit than its worth.

Atomic300 said:
Yes if the big S using is it tang prest. or colombus tubing, but I do not see them doing that at this point, I truly believe when i think about it now, big S would never do it. They probably would use a steel metal and call it their own. They would be fine with that, but then again if truly using a tang prst. frame material or other type it would truly say something. Also I am not a huge fan of their but they do but out good products. I am not a bike expert either.
Huh?

wayne

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
:lol: i'm scared that i understood what you were saying....

now....i would like to see more steel frames from the 'biggies'. dunno about a retro-build or whatever though. as it is, none of my lbs even carry a steel mountain bike (at least in their showroom). just alu, titanium and even a carbon or two.

i bought a surly instigator...but looked at several other somewhat esoteric builders as well. and i had to buy it site-unseen and that is kinda lame....

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,597 Posts
Trek and Spec. sould have high / midrange steel hardtails. Trek has the 320 entry level Tiawan thing, but it just does not cut it. :nono: I agree with the OP and I'd love to see more steel bikes out there. I did not realise what I was missing out on until I got my steel MARIN.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
Reposado Man said:
I think the industry is at the point where a small builder might be able to justify producing a steel HT, but I think the big boys are more "been there, done that, had our lunch eaten."
Yep. The steel hardtail is now a niche market. The little guys feel this need. Mass producing them is not a good business decision.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.