Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LOL

Before

It looks crazy I know but it will serve a specific and VERY important purpose soon enough. It has been built explicitly for one role and one role only and after my test run on the bike (I wasn't sure this thing would actually come together with all the hiccups along the way) it turns out it will work perfectly.

I just thought I'd share this stage of the process.

It's an old 80's 6sp steel Nishiki road frame/fork (graciously donated by a friend who knows its future role) I converted using old parts. It's moved to 9sp mtb drivetrain (rear XTR cassette / X.O shifter and derailleur) and Campy road crank/ring front. I threw on some old XTR levers to work with some side pull road callipers and finished it with an old Ksyrium Elite wheelset, odi lock-ons and an old flatbar I had kicking around.

After

The bike is a bit twitchy (not overly so) but surprisingly comfy. Brakes are awesome and it actually shifts 100% perfectly. It's nice to ride! I was laughing the entire time.

This was a very quick mock-up and test run so now it's to be torn down and painted for its specific 2-day role. I hope it draws the attention I need when I get it done.

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Circusjunk said:
so how did you spread the rear triangle ? ( and Keep it aligned ? )
hahahaha.......... One of so many hiccups. I'm guessing you've experienced this too? :thumbsup:

Personally I took and old hub axle, put a couple of nuts on it and then rolled them outward. I repeated this until I was close and able to shove the wheel in. It's still not quite where I want it but I'll do more adjusting today or tomorrow. Bike is still perfectly aligned.

I had one beach of a time after getting the wheel on and then finding that the nut holding the rear hanger adaptor in place was rubbing the locking ring on the cassette.:madman: #$%^. it was one thing after another back there but it all worked out well in the end.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ska! said:
hahahaha.......... One of so many hiccups. I'm guessing you've experienced this too? :thumbsup:

Personally I took and old hub axle, put a couple of nuts on it and then rolled them outward. I repeated this until I was close and able to shove the wheel in. It's still not quite where I want it but I'll do more adjusting today or tomorrow. Bike is still perfectly aligned.

I had one beach of a time after getting the wheel on and then finding that the nut holding the rear hanger adaptor in place was rubbing the locking ring on the cassette.:madman: #$%^. it was one thing after another back there but it all worked out well in the end.
And it stayed at the new width?

I have tried spreading a triangle that way and never been able to get it to stay. Just keeps spring back.

I have one here that needs to be done, maybe I'll give the rod and nuts another try.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Don't you have to spread it slightly past where you want it to stay? I put a 10 speed Ultegra hub on my old Gitane road bike that originally had a 7 speed Maillard freehub. The 10 speed is a little tight but fits. I didn't spread it at all. It's a used frame though, so it's possible it was spread by a previous owner.

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toomanybikes said:

I have tried spreading a triangle that way and never been able to get it to stay. Just keeps spring back.

I have one here that needs to be done, maybe I'll give the rod and nuts another try.
Yeah, it sprung back a bit (that's why I'm doing more adjusting tonight or tomorrow) but I got it much wider than it was originally. That pig was tight before I spread it. :eek:

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Ska! said:
?? It's not that bad.

24" (609mm) That's pretty wide really - I think.
Lol I guess that's wide for the late 90's my trail bike is running a 27" bar and the FR guys are running 30+ inchers now days but if you like it go for it!

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ae111black said:
Lol I guess that's wide for the late 90's my trail bike is running a 27" bar and the FR guys are running 30+ inchers now days but if you like it go for it!
I agree it's not wide by today's standards (these were extra bars tucked away in a box) but they're not too bad.

I was assuming you were thinking it was like the hipster bars you see on fixies nowadays. You know, those bars that look more like they're double-fisting a cigar or whatever. Now THOSE are narrow - no matter what their claimed purpose is.

Anyway, yeah, 609 isn't bad for what I need it for.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I saw a bike sticking out of my neighbors trash a few years ago, I ended up taking it, cleaned it up and made this, it is a Nishiki Sport frame. The rear brake is an quick set up untill I can find brake that fits.

·
You know my steez...
903 Posts
OP
That came out nice!
Are you sure you want to paint it? Right now I know what it is/was. If you paint it, your overall conversion wont be so obvious.
Either way, great job. I love it!

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BunnV said:
OP
That came out nice!
Are you sure you want to paint it? Right now I know what it is/was. If you paint it, your overall conversion wont be so obvious.
Either way, great job. I love it!
Cool - Thanks!

But, yeah, for it to do what I'm hoping it will I need to paint it. It's a big part of the plan. Started stripping paint already.

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
Toomanybikes said:

Visit the Park Tools website and check out the ***-2, FFG-2, and FFS-2 tools. My bike co-op has these tools, and they help a great deal when you have to cold set a rear triangle to accept a wider hub. TMI?

EDIT: the letters of the first tool (PH)AG-2 got censored.

·
All day long
174 Posts
Nice work Ska!:thumbsup:

Here's what became of an old Peugeot touring bike I was given:

Before:

After:

Now if you want to talk Frankenbike, check out what I did with an old 12 speed Spalding and a 3 speed Royal Crown...

Before:

After:

:crazy:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Ska.Nice build mate. Im actually doing up a 1x9 myself. Im new at this though.

I keep reading about guys with 1x9's or 10's having issues with the chain line and the chain falling off the front ring.

Ive also noticed EMFC has a similiar set up. No chain guides or keepers. Just a bare chain and ring. Are you guys having any issues ? Or is it running sweet ?

Cheers

Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts