Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI - the combination of the XR rockers and Vanilla RC 1.75" stroke shock on the Buner is a non-starter. We had enough warm weather to get the bike out for some bigger drops. On the full compression, the rear tire contacts the seat tube at the pivot zerk. So it's back to the RP3 and 4". If anyone is interested in the Vanilla PM me.

Attachments

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
I was thinkin that might be the case. Thanks for the update, now I won't waiste the time trying it myself.

happy trails...

squish

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
Considering the XR Rockers were made for the XCE, I wonder if this problem is only relevent on the Burner/O2 Frames. For example, if on the XCE the lower shock mount is slightly higher in relation the Rocker pivot the Rocker is at a different angle and the rear wheel may have more travel before touching the grease fitting. Or maybe it explains why the Spot has the pivot on the FWD side of the Seat Tube.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cucucachu said:
Considering the XR Rockers were made for the XCE, I wonder if this problem is only relevent on the Burner/O2 Frames. For example, if on the XCE the lower shock mount is slightly higher in relation the Rocker pivot the Rocker is at a different angle and the rear wheel may have more travel before touching the grease fitting. Or maybe it explains why the Spot has the pivot on the FWD side of the Seat Tube.
The Burner and XCE have the same geometry and length of chainstay. The XR rockers were intended to give the XCE its full 4" of travel without the need for the RC 1.75" shock. The function of the XRs is the same on the Burner as the XCE - thus the Vanilla RC and the XRs would have the same issue on the XCE. I've learned - there's only so far you can push it before you exceed Dave's design parameters. Not complaining mind you - the idea was a brain fart at best. FYI - the RC is already sold - took less than an hour on the classifieds.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey cutthroat,

Sorry to hear about the tire contact problem. I have a few ideas for you before you scrap the Vanilla.

1. A lower profile rear tire will help of course. Looks like yours has a very high profile. What tire is that anyway?
2. Nylon, plastic or rubber washers on the shaft of the shock. This will reduce the stroke length of the shock and stop the tire contact. You will not get the full 4.7" of travel but 4.5" or 4.4" wouldn't be bad. There was a thread on this a while back.

You may want to try a few different combinations. As I mentioned before I sold you the shock, I had no pblems with tire contact on my 2002 XCE but perhaps I never really used the full stroke and bottomed out. Or my rear tire may have been smaller than yours.
No doubt we are pushing the design limits here and a little expermimentation may be warranted. Other than the contact problem how did you like the feel of the coil?

Good luck, Bob

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries Bob - the coil felt very nice, but I still like the RP3 better and it's almost a pound lighter. The tires are quite big - Moto Raptor 2.4s on Snow Cat SL rims. This set up would cause contact more than any other for sure, but I like to run big rubber when I'm riding the more technical terrain at Fruita or Moab. A guy in Aspen wants to purchase the RC for use on his O2, so there's no out of pocket for me. Thanks - it was fun while it lasted :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts