Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

When I lock my fork (marzocchi Z1 fr sl) down for steep climbs it lowers the height of the fork and stretches/compresses the cable housing and makes my brake (avid Mechanical) rub against the rotrr. It rubs enought to slow me down.

Will Nokon, or Aztec Powerlines help with this problem because they are "Compressionless"

Thanks

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
r-kelly said:
Hi

When I lock my fork (marzocchi Z1 fr sl) down for steep climbs it lowers the height of the fork and stretches/compresses the cable housing and makes my brake (avid Mechanical) rub against the rotrr. It rubs enought to slow me down.

Will Nokon, or Aztec Powerlines help with this problem because they are "Compressionless"

Thanks
That's the idea. You could also try Avid's Full Metal Jacket, as well as some more traditional compressionless stuff by Jagwire.

But any time you introduce a sharp bend or curve into traditional sprial wound housing, the housing elongation and subsequent cable "shortening" you're experiencing is perfectly normal. The key to avoiding it is to not secure your housing in such a way that it is attached to the crown or stanchions, and is allowed to run relatively straight regardless if whether the fork is extended or compressed. I tie my housing off to my lowers, and route them either along the inside of the stanchion and up the front of the fork (not tied off anywhere else), or else set up a very open, non-binding loop on the back of the crown so that the housing is guided, but not constrained, as the fork cycles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts