Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your hotel room strategy for Sedona MTB Fest? Rooms seem to be super pricey in Sedona that weekend. Like $400 on Saturday for a room @ Best Western. I'm thinking about staying in PHX that week and then driving up to Sedona on early Saturday morning. I'll get a hotel room in Sedona for Saturday night only and then check out Sunday morning and drive back to Vegas where I live on Sunday night after the end of the event.

That way I only have to pay 1 night of jacked up Sedona room prices. That means I'll need to skip Friday but I'll be starting a new job around that time so I probably shouldn't take that day off anyway. Do you have a hotel room strategy for Sedona MTB Fest as well or do you just bite the bullet and pay for multiple nights of jacked up room rates?

· MTBR Member since 2001...
331 Posts
Strategy... Don't go. Send that message to those greedy F's. You can also try VRBO or Air BnB.

Its like going to Monterey for Sea Otter or Pebble Beach for the Concours d'Elegance. I stopped "rewarding" these gougers years ago. The following week the same rooms will be 50% less.

Yes I can afford it, but admit I'm biased. It ridiculous. You want to attend a bike show. When you factor in driving time or flying. (possible car rental), gas, egregious hotel, event admission, parking, food... you end of with a $1000+ weekend. Take wife and kids... double that.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Stay in Flagstaff, 30 minute gorgeous drive through Oak Creek Canyon, a town where you can walk to most things, far more options, etc. Sedona isn't really a "lodging town", people don't really stay there overnight much and the ones that do pay for it.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Cottonwood if not filled up only 15 minutes away
A wee bit more than 15, especially if you are going to Oak Creek to ride, which is a popular riding spot, bit more like 30-45 in that case, depending on traffic, which can be pretty intense in the middle of Sedona. Pro-tip, try not to drive through the middle of Sedona on weekends.

· Registered
1,745 Posts
A wee bit more than 15, especially if you are going to Oak Creek to ride, which is a popular riding spot, bit more like 30-45 in that case, depending on traffic, which can be pretty intense in the middle of Sedona. Pro-tip, try not to drive through the middle of Sedona on weekends.
Don't know if you've been to Sedona lately, but there's no off season. That pleasant drive along Oak Creek even middle of the week can be trying as that traffic circle is backs up early. Easier to get in from Cottonwood side early I found.

· Disgruntled Peccary
6,682 Posts
I don't know what it is about the roundabouts there. They're so much worse than they really should be.

But I agree, I enjoy that drive from Cottonwood less these days because of that.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Don't know if you've been to Sedona lately, but there's no off season. That pleasant drive along Oak Creek even middle of the week can be trying as that traffic circle is backs up early. Easier to get in from Cottonwood side early I found.
Well, it could always be a wash, but IME, there's far more options in Flag than Cottonwood...for basically everything. Also if you want to do a ride up there and weather is warmer.

Reactions: dysfunction

· Disgruntled Peccary
6,682 Posts
It's the case with roundabouts everywhere, about half of this country doesn't have the mental prowess to understand how/what to do.
I grew up in Europe. So yes, I agree (well about the issue being nationwide, at least ;) ). So funny to see something that's normally so fast, go sooooooo slow.

· Registered
1,745 Posts
I grew up in Europe. So yes, I agree (well about the issue being nationwide, at least ;) ). So funny to see something that's normally so fast, go sooooooo slow.
Most in the US are improperly located and executed like in Sedona which was put in after the fact. On the 89 between Cottonwood and Clarkdale/Jerome they would remind you of one's in the UK I've been on/thru, fast and efficient. Designed in when they widened not jammed in like Sedona. We had on up in Carlsbad of Cassia that was less than a car width across, total stupidity taken out after a year.

331 Posts
Some good recommendations for sure.

The camping thing or hotel away from the event. Could make it affordable. Certainly doable if your going solo.

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
It's the case with roundabouts everywhere, about half of this country doesn't have the mental prowess to understand how/what to do.
Anyone of average intelligence can navigate them. The problem is 1/2 of the population is below average intelligence. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: #mtnbykr

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Anyone of average intelligence can navigate them. The problem is 1/2 of the population is below average intelligence. :ROFLMAO:
There are lots of old people in AZ because they can get an essentially "lifetime" driver's license when they transition the previous one to AZ. It gets old after a while having to stop before any turn, whether there's a stopsign or not, green light, roundabout, lane spit, etc. Can't change direction without first stopping...It's just not possible.

331 Posts
Now that Sea Otter has started, we have multiple reports of vendors pulling out at the last minute. That's like promoting a Day On The Green with 10 groups and only 4 show up. Total bummer. Regardless if understandable due to the current state of affairs. Optimist perspective, we get to go have fun. Pessimist perspective, can I get a price reduction? Sadly it still costs "Sea Otter Incorporated" the same amount of money to put the show on. I suspect this will happen in Sedona as well. Its not a good time unfortunately.

I originally though the show might be a good place for someone shopping for stuff to pick up components, maybe even a bike, but based on what other's have shared, I guess not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.