Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hot Rockin’ in Vegas

I used to cry and put my bike away when the high temps reached into the 90s. Now days I cry and put my bike away when the low temps stay in the mid 90’s. What a difference a few years and a few hundred miles south makes. However, we haven’t reached the days where the lows are in the mid 90’s –yet!

To deal with crazy Las Vegas summers local riders have to resort to crazy measures like early evening riding, night riding, or Oh So Dark Thirty AM riding. The Desperados have resorted to late afternoon and Oh So Dark Thirty trail and road rides (since I’m the only one with real headlights). Last week when temps in Las Vegas were hovering in the mid 100s, the Desperados met at 5pm and jammed up the hill to Cottonwood for a ride in the shadows of our Spring Mountains at slightly nicer 4000 foot elevation.

Figuring we didn’t want to climb in mid 90 degree temps, we opted for a quick downhill shot to start our ride and leave the climbing for our return when the shadows would overtake the trails. So we bombed down the Latenight trail to the Mud Springs area en-route to the Black Velvet trail and the shade that the mountains would grace us with. Black Velvet is knows as one of the most scenic and technical of our Cottonwood trails. Black Velvet is not smooth like the name implies with many varieties of cactus and Yucca plants crowding the rock strewn trail. It’s the one trail where nearly everyone comes home bloody – even if they didn’t crash! I did manage to get several flat tires (I guess I need to add more Stans and check my tire pressure more often before rides). :thumbsup:

After Black Velvet we worked our way up the Upper Latenight Trail to the top of the Cottonwood North Trail System before returning to our truck for our ride back down the hill into the blast oven known as Las Vegas. By the way, it was 87 degrees when we rolled out of the Latenight parking lot on the way home and still a toasty 95 degrees when we rolled back to Mike's house 45 minutes later.

Here are a few photos from the ride and this week's forecast. Anyone have any tissue? :eekster:

Mbb

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is always Bristlecone Trail up Lee Canyon! To avoid the crazy hot temps this week, my wife & I are planning to ride that 6 mile loop on Weds the 4th, then try to find the downhill trail off Rt 158. :thumbsup:

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KRob said:
Hey matt. I really like this one up on Black Velvet. How do you get there? That's one I've never done..... 'course I'll wait til it cools down a bit before I head down there again.
It's the trail I've always called the cactus garden. It's the trail we made when the BLM closed the Mud Springs Trail. It has the big patches of sand at the base and we did an IMBA TCC work day on it many years ago. It starts at the parking area from the Black Velvet climbing routes and comes south to end near where I crashed into that joshua tree last year.

matt

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
That trail really has some nice potential cept for the sand. Too much sand to make it an everyday trail ride imo. Still, every now and then I get the crazy idea to ride it:)

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
andylyco said:
There is always Bristlecone Trail up Lee Canyon! To avoid the crazy hot temps this week, my wife & I are planning to ride that 6 mile loop on Weds the 4th, then try to find the downhill trail off Rt 158. :thumbsup:
I haven't ridden up there in years. I don't think any of my riding buddies have ever ridden the loop. (two or three laps is a very nice ride)!

mbb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.