Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got your attention :)

Tall friend looking at a Giant anthem advanded F/S bike XL
He was not sure if he should go 29er or 27.5, I would think the 27.5 would be the best bet, I would think the 29er would be tall and huge, the 27.5 would turn and handle better.

what do you guys think? he is 6.4and needs a XL frame.​

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was half expecting to see a baby chicken sitting on a bike in the desert.

29 may be tall and huge, but that may suit your tall friend. If anyone can rock a 29er, it's a 6ft 4 male. Especially true if he's riding more xc/single track type trails where bigger wheels can help.

Any chance of test riding both and seeing what suits him?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, we all think the same, that was one way to get some answers from these smart forum people!

I was trying to find a thread on this subject, thanks for your input!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I told him to go out and test, he is also testing the Tallboy, the main issue is hard to find Giant 29ers at XL at the shops.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I thought you found a pic of Gretchen Randolph and got all excited.

Now that you have my attention... I think your buddy should ride some 26 some 27.5 and some 29ers and decide for himself. I like 29ers for XC and 26 for AM. That doesn't mean it's the way to go for everyone. It's just what I like.

Remember everybody's an expert!

·
Registered
172 Posts
OP should be banned!

I am 6'3" and have HT and FS 26ers. My GF is 5'4" and has a 29er HT. Wheel size doesn't mean anything with regard to your height. Figure out what wheel size you like more and get the right frame size!

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I have been rode an XL Anthem 29er for a couple years. At closer to 6'5", I think it would fit a 6'4" rider perfectly. The 29er Anthem is a very stable, confident ride that works well in the more wide open SoCal style terrain.

Smaller wheels at my height always made me feel like a monkey 'dating' a football, but your friend's opinion may differ. It's springtime in SoCal. Finding some 'demo-days' for him to try some stuff out shouldn't be too difficult.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.