Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else getting a little tired of XC people being hostile to us on these forums and acting like because we like our gravity our input isn't valid. I was lurking in the Santa Cruz forum and decided to provide some input into people's Nomad building. So I put my two cents in. Then this guy decides that I have an "attitude" and lets loose with the verbal assault:
GspotRider said:
Look at me! I ride big travel heavy bikes with fat tires because I have no skill. :p

Man, where do you guys get off to spout off your platitudes on how great you are because you can huck and slam a bike down. Perhaps you guys should get some smooth lessons.

Get this: the Nomad is with DHX air shock is around 7lbs. It is light. It is not a 10lbs plus bighit frame. Sure it can take a beating. My point is that its light enough that guys that ride more mild stuff than you are going to be interested in building it up for what they think is heavyduty riding. For them, perhaps they need the extra suspension cush to reach the next level. There are all sorts of riders out there that would love the nomad: most of which probably are not expert riders.

The way you have written your responses seem like you are patting yourselves on the back. Do you even have a Nomad? Have you tried it with a shorter smaller fork? You might be surprised to find that with the fork at 4-5" travel the bike feels pretty much like xc bike handling wise. Have you tried skinnier tires on the bike? On the front fatter feels so much better, but on the back you can go pretty skinny if you have the balls for some sliding around.

Please take your attitudes to the downhill forum.

Merry Christmas.
I don't get it. Most of us do as much or more trail riding than we do shuttling, what is it that makes us parriah around everybody else?

· Old man on a bike
12,390 Posts
So one guy in the SC forum pops off at you and you say there's hostility on the part of xc riders towards fr/dh riders? Not saying there isn't something to your comment, but in this case it sounds to me like perhaps you have issues with xc riders in starting this thread. These are forums and you're bound to meet someone who doesn't agree with you. If you want hostility go to F88...there's some real hostility issues there.

Ps Do you have a Nomad or not? I agree with some of your ideas, but not all.

· Recovering Weight Weenie
8,814 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
Is anyone else getting a little tired of XC people being hostile to us on these forums and acting like because we like our gravity our input isn't valid. I was lurking in the Santa Cruz forum and decided to provide some input into people's Nomad building. So I put my two cents in. Then this guy decides that I have an "attitude" and lets loose with the verbal assault:

I don't get it. Most of us do as much or more trail riding than we do shuttling, what is it that makes us parriah around everybody else?
Perhaps your approach of sweeping generalizations and broadbrush accusations has something to do with it. :rolleyes:

· Registered
996 Posts
Nothing new. It happens. I'm sure we could discuss at length the possible psychological, or sociological reasons. I have some ideas, but no time to explore them.

Also, I think we all know that the tone we perceive in writing is not always as intended. Sarcasim is hard to detect in writing, and sometimes the tone we read reflects OUR mood.

Don't worry about the occasional hostility Robster. I lurk a fair amount and personally, I've been enjoying your contributions a great deal.

· #1 Latex Salesman
1,884 Posts
Prechrysler said:
meh! It's the forums; just shrug that isht off.
exactly. haven't you noticed how people automatically hate each other on the forums, compared to the vibe you get when you're on the trails? written correspondence is a disastrous communication tool for strangers.

· Registered
379 Posts
sriracha said:
maybe we should post up pic threads on the passion forum of us riding hardtails, just to prove our diversity.
what a rockstar...
I am mainly an XC guy and trying to regain my old bmx skills by DJing and Urban riding. For me it takes more skill to huck a bike then to XC, I mean a 100+mile bike ride is a biotch and impressive at the same time but but hucking is very impressive too. Some people are a$$bastages...there is so much debate on what kinda bike is the ish (fixie, SS, FS, etc)....who cares, shake what your mama gave ya and enjoy.

· noMAD man
12,164 Posts
I did note that G-Spot's collective terminology of "you guy's" and "yourselves" borders on that generalization of all DH/FR types and suggesting that perhaps if you have long travel and big tires you have no skill. I'm not sure what stirred up his categorical ire, as I didn't see much in Robster's post that should have illicited it. That said, it is just a forum board and not really a big deal, I guess. I had some fun posting a reply to G-Spot over there, but I point out that it really was mainly in fun. RTM and JFR touched on the often misunderstood nature of written communications on internet forums...so true.

BTW, Robster, I'd probably refrain from using the term "cardinal rule" very much. I know exactly what you were trying to point out, but some take it as some form of challenge even though you know how all of us bicycle types always like to march in lockstep on all riding and equipment issues. :D

· Registered
495 Posts
RobsterCraw said:

Who cares. Don't be a pu$$y.

:p

· Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
This isn't me crying about it, and I'm not trying to make us hostile to them. I started this thread because I was pretty dumbfounded to recieve such a hostile response for just posting a little advice for people. This wasn't just an isolated incedent either. Also, I have to make the generalizations in order to make a concise statement. I'm not so pleased to see my attempt at starting an objective and honest discussion has been met with nothing but dumbass flaming, no offense. And if you are just joking, well thats cool too.

For those of you who want to contribute, this thread is about how others percieve us. It is not about attacking XC riders, whining about getting flamed on the internet, or the Nomad discussion that inspired it. For the record, I don't particularly care when I get attacked on the internet but I don't like feeling relegated to the DH/FR forum. My interest in this is purely for discussion purposes.

· Registered
495 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
This isn't me crying about it, and I'm not trying to make us hostile to them. I started this thread because I was pretty dumbfounded to recieve such a hostile response for just posting a little advice for people. This wasn't just an isolated incedent either. Also, I have to make the generalizations in order to make a concise statement. I'm not so pleased to see my attempt at starting an objective and honest discussion has been met with nothing but dumbass flaming, no offense.

For those of you who want to contribute, this thread is about how others percieve us. It is not about attacking XC riders, whining about getting flamed on the internet, or the Nomad discussion that inspired it. For the record, I don't particularly care when I get attacked on the internet but I don't like feeling relegated to the DH/FR forum. My interest in this is purely for discussion purposes.
My "pu$$y" comment was in jest (thus the smiley), please take no offense! Unfortunately, our reputation as idiots is largely deserved due to many posts from certain semi-literate nimrods from this board who have continually talked sh*t over on the XC and racing forums. It's no wonder we have the reputation that we have. All you can do is not be an idiot yourself. Maybe that will change opinions.

· Registered
458 Posts
skinny rubber? my local riders all rock fat rubber on there XC bikes (thats all they ride) the guy I usually ride XC with has a 2.7 minion in front and a 2.35 Hanz in back lol! but the average is 2.35 - 2.5 you need some fatty fat to ride my local trails

but yeah if I even mention doing a "shuttle run" they all wig out on me and think im a hack that cant ride! soo I call them point to point rides :D

so yes I have notesed a good bit of hostility from other riders

· Registered
394 Posts
marsb said:
our reputation as idiots is largely deserved due to many posts from certain semi-literate nimrods from this board who have continually talked sh*t over on the XC and racing forums.
After observing all sorts of behaviors in every aspect of life for all these years, I've come to believe that it's human nature to find something to argue/disagree about within any given group. Ego also plays a role in the "Us vs. them" mentality, especially in mountain biking.

As an advocate for MTB use (all MTB use) on the local trail system, I've been to several meetings with our local government and can tell you that fragmentation within the MTB community hurting all of us. As a user group that is almost constantly under fire, solidarity is something that we cannot afford to be without. Fragmentation can start in a place like this forum, so people should not be so quick to rip on others who happen to be diffrent but it happens.

Example: There is one poster here in the DH forum (not gonna name names) who has an insulting signature line about Xcers wearing spandex and looking like bugs that I remember right off the top of my head (Why are certain guys so obsessed about what other guys are wearing? ). I personally don't care one way or another about it but realize that some people may see that and be set off by that attitude. Little things like that are often at the root of hostility. It works both ways .......

This is important to keep in mind because it may be a downhiller who represents the sport of mountain-biking to a hiker who sees us all as unfamiliar users on a trail they have been hiking forever. Or it could be an Xcer at a meeting with government fighting for a downhillers right to access to the trails or even get a dedicated downhill area (I bring this up because I hope to be doing just that within the next two months). The non-mountainbiking majority view us all as mountain-bikers, not xcers or downhillers.

· rollin
2,601 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
This wasn't just an isolated incedent either.
there seems to be a lot of classifying and labelling in biking these days.
according to marketing, you're either a downhiller, a freerider, a dirt jumper, a street rider, a super-D rider, an XC rider, an off-roadie or a roadie.
and it seems people like to attach/associate themselves with one catagory. then you get people generalizing and stereotyping the other catagories. this becomes easy when hiding behind a keyboard.

but in reality, we are all bike riders, regardless of what kind of bike. some have one bike, others have a quiver of bikes. i think people forget this sometimes.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.