Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a really tough time making up my decision. I've found one of the remaining horst link Turner 5 Spots in my size, but I was pretty much set on the Yeti.

Here is how I see it shaking down - please feel free to comment on my thought process if you have personal experience with either one.

Reasons for the Yeti:
1. Price (around $1200)
2. weight (lighter than the 5 spot even without the carbon)

Reasons against the Yeti:
1. Still a single pivot, which could mean its just a longer travel version of what I have and the bad tendencies (brake jack) may still be there
2. Dont have a Yeti dealer that I frequent

Reasons for the Turner:
1. Horst link Turner widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best trail bike.
2. horst link should ensure active suspension in braking
3. My "local" bike shop is a big Turner dealer

Reasons against Turner:
1. Price. Almost $2k for the frame alone (powdercoated and DHX Coil)
2. Heavier

I had pretty much decided on the Yeti 575 until I found the Horst Spot, now I'm back to square one. So the ultimate question is....

Is the horst Spot worth $750 MORE than the Yeti? $750 buys a CK headset, a Pike and some other trinkets which makes me think maybe the Yeti is the way to go.

Tough problem to have huh ;)...?

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
although the 575 is single pivot, it doesnt suffer from the brake jack problems of the other single pivots...why? i don't know, but i have been riding mine for over a year and have no complaints...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Check the geometry of both and see if one fits better to your measurements and also the style of riding you do. I personally like to be over the crank so the angle of the seat tube on the 5spot would fit me better than the 575 and also if you ever install a longer fork then you are still not too slack on the seat tube. However, other peopler prefer to be sitting a bit more over the back wheel so the 575 would be a bit better for that.

Don't forget that you are comparing a coil shock 5spot to a air shock 575, weight difference is pretty much there but suspension performance is also influenced by that depending on what you are looking for. For my personal taste, the coil shock would be very attracting. Anyway, in my experience people are influenced way to much by weight, for regular trail riding, plus or minus 2-3 pounds doesn't change a thing.

Both are probably great bikes so either way you will certainly be happy. If you are a bit tight on budget then the price difference might well be very important in your decision.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
575 Yeti's are great bikes, building a light trailbike, I personally would take one over a 5 Spot regardless of the Horst Link. Go down to the Turners forums a read for your self that a propperly done faux bar is as good as a HL bike. As stated above, 575's dont have the major issues that a bike like a Bullit would have. The Yeti is lighter than a Spot and yet can take a 150mm fork with out geometry issues. There has been a few broken Spot's from riders dishing out to much FR'ing. Spots should be mated with forks like a 125-130mm Fox, the longest fork should be a Pike (will be slack). On the Yeti, IMO, the Pike is perfect, and if you want to do some light freeriding, slap on a Fox 36, Van36 or a 150mm Zoke, add some strong wheels and tires and you have a nice 33 pound bike that can rip most of the fast trails at Mammoth.

If I wanted a more HD, or a more FR capable bike, then I would start with a RFX, 6.6 or a Nomad. So far out of all the frames I have had in the last few years the 6 Pack has been one of my favorite bikes, I actually choose it over the 575 in the end game but I do ride with descend junkies so I needed a bike with a stout ride. (The VPX was great too but is heavy for a trailbike) I could build it fairly light as well as a bike that can be dropped, jumped and ridden hard. This build on a Pack/RFX can weigh anywhere from 34-40 pounds. A lightweight Pack/RFX can be around 30-31 pounds, not bad for a bike that can hit most of the trails at a park like Whistler! The Spot or 575 wouldnt take that kind of beating.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Don't worry about the Horst/TNT thing. I've got both rears here if you want to check them out. I've got a few rides in on a TNT Flux and can't tell a difference. I'd be happy to put the TNT rear on the Spot for you.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Just over a year ago I struggled with a similar decision 5 spot vs 575, I too was pretty set on a HL. Then the Motolite came out as another option, problem was that it was an unproven bike. Eventually I ended up with a ML because the extra $500-600 I saved over the 5spot buys a lot more bling parts, and plenty of bearings. If those are the only 2 frames you are considering, then maybe you should compare the complete build with the 575 having $750 better components than the 5 spot. It' would pay for getting your shocks/forks pushed. etc...

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
I've been musing over an Intense 5.5 to replace my Enduro... Soooo many choices!

I decided a couple years ago that the chichi bike route wasn't the way to go and stuck with some decidedly common bikes, like the Enduro and my Fisher etc. About 6 months ago I started wanting something with a bit more soul again... Bye bye Fisher, hello On-One. Now I'm concidering how to replace the Enduro, and I'm leaning towards a US built bike, and thus the 5.5.

As an aside, sure is interesting how the the whole horst thing has played out over the last 60 days. I was a 100% believer, and now I can't be so sure.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heatstroke said:
Just over a year ago I struggled with a similar decision 5 spot vs 575, I too was pretty set on a HL. Then the Motolite came out as another option, problem was that it was an unproven bike. Eventually I ended up with a ML because the extra $500-600 I saved over the 5spot buys a lot more bling parts, and plenty of bearings. If those are the only 2 frames you are considering, then maybe you should compare the complete build with the 575 having $750 better components than the 5 spot. It' would pay for getting your shocks/forks pushed. etc...
I'm going to rob my current bike of its parts pretty much entirely, as they are all relatively new. That part spec includes my 05 PUSHed TALAS, for now at least, so the build will be pretty much the same on both bikes with the only two parts I need (headset and front der.) being purchased for either frame.

I thought about the ML as well, but really have no interest in the convertible travel aspect of it so its been a distant third in my choices.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well if you've got all your bits already then you're back to deciding if the 5 spot is worth 750 more over the 575.
My ML is my dedicated 5" trail bike - I don't run her at 4", that would be entering the go fast realm of her sister, the RX100.

I am curious about one thing though: Why is the ML a distant third behind the 575 , (i.e what puts the 575 ahead)
Cheers
Rich

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heatstroke said:
Well if you've got all your bits already then you're back to deciding if the 5 spot is worth 750 more over the 575.
My ML is my dedicated 5" trail bike - I don't run her at 4", that would be entering the go fast realm of her sister, the RX100.

I am curious about one thing though: Why is the ML a distant third behind the 575 , (i.e what puts the 575 ahead)
Cheers
Rich
Personal preference basically....
I haven't gotten to test ride a ML, and I had been soured by the tire clearance issue (I know its fixed now). I've gotten to ride the other two bikes before (although briefly) and was impressed with the lightweight but plush feel of the Yeti.

Yeti's factory is 15 miles down the road from me, so geography is another reason. I'm having a hard enough time with two bikes.... :)

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Jdub said:
Yeti's factory is 15 miles down the road from me, so geography is another reason. I'm having a hard enough time with two bikes.... :)
As far as I know, 575's aren't made in that factory. Of course, it's still nice to know they're just down 93.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Debaser said:
As far as I know, 575's aren't made in that factory. Of course, it's still nice to know they're just down 93.
Very true, didn't mean to insinuate that. The 575s are made in Taiwan (I believe the MLs are now as well), but having the factory right down the road makes me feel better about warranty issues.

·
Demon Cleaner
783 Posts
What's money worth to you?

I've been slightly dissatisfied with my last bike purchase because I decided to save some money and go with a Enduro over a 5-Spot. At the time the price difference seemed hard to justify. But I've realized over the last two years that the extra $1000 wouldn't have mattered in the scheme of things. However, owning the bike I "lusted" after would have been great. This isn't to say I dislike the Enduro. It's been a super bike and I have it dialed in just how I want it. Only good things to say about it. I just realize that I didn't need to save the money.

Something to keep in mind in your choice. Both bikes are great, but which do you really want?

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
I thought the Yeti 575 had some sort of flexer or something on the seat stay so it was not really a single pivot. Am I taking crazy pills? What is that thing?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
575 with pushed RP3!!!

Jdub said:
Having a really tough time making up my decision. I've found one of the remaining horst link Turner 5 Spots in my size, but I was pretty much set on the Yeti.

Here is how I see it shaking down - please feel free to comment on my thought process if you have personal experience with either one.

Reasons for the Yeti:
1. Price (around $1200)
2. weight (lighter than the 5 spot even without the carbon)

Reasons against the Yeti:
1. Still a single pivot, which could mean its just a longer travel version of what I have and the bad tendencies (brake jack) may still be there
2. Dont have a Yeti dealer that I frequent

Reasons for the Turner:
1. Horst link Turner widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best trail bike.
2. horst link should ensure active suspension in braking
3. My "local" bike shop is a big Turner dealer

Reasons against Turner:
1. Price. Almost $2k for the frame alone (powdercoated and DHX Coil)
2. Heavier

I had pretty much decided on the Yeti 575 until I found the Horst Spot, now I'm back to square one. So the ultimate question is....

Is the horst Spot worth $750 MORE than the Yeti? $750 buys a CK headset, a Pike and some other trinkets which makes me think maybe the Yeti is the way to go.

Tough problem to have huh ;)...?

From this discussion this is what I will share. The 575 with a pushed Rp3 outperforms any bike on its class. The bike is so much faster. With a pushed shock it has the acceleration of the Turner burner and the downhill capabilities of the 6-Pack. It climbs more efficient than my sugar 1.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NMPhi767 said:
I thought the Yeti 575 had some sort of flexer or something on the seat stay so it was not really a single pivot. Am I taking crazy pills? What is that thing?
The 575 has two small carbon flex points on the swingarm. Some will argue it isn't really a single pivot more of a faux bar, but most consider it a highly tweaked single pivot.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Jdub said:
The 575 has two small carbon flex points on the swingarm. Some will argue it isn't really a single pivot more of a faux bar, but most consider it a highly tweaked single pivot.
Maybe that's the reason there is little or no brake jacking. Whatever you choose, I am sure you will be incredibly happy with either one. Everyone I know with both of these bikes absolutely loves them.

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
Jdub said:
Faux bars are considered single pivots too. The difference is that faux bars use a rocker or swing link to change the leverage ratio throughout its travel. Usually simple single pivots are slightly falling rate to severely falling rate. A rocker or swing-link allows the manufacturer to achieve nearly any rate they choose including linear, falling, or rising-rate. The faux bar design gives greater flexibility in terms of shock choices and provides greater lateral stiffness compared to a simple single pivot (like a Heckler, Bullit, etc.).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.