Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are they allowed now? I came across a couple of horseback riders today on DBall Central. Apparently (or so they said) horses are now allowed. This didn't use to be the case and there was signage at the trailheads clearly stating "no horses." I noticed those signs are now gone. I need to know, because If they are allowed, I should probably be a bit less of an asshat when I come across them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
215 Posts
City Parks Dept. folks say that horses and motorcycles are NOT allowed on DBT. New signs are supposed to be put up today/this week. Post back if you don't see new signs at the trail heads and I'll get the word to the Parks dept.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Are they allowed now? I came across a couple of horseback riders today on DBall Central. Apparently (or so they said) horses are now allowed. This didn't use to be the case and there was signage at the trailheads clearly stating "no horses." I noticed those signs are now gone. I need to know, because If they are allowed, I should probably be a bit less of an asshat when I come across them. :rolleyes:
Man you guys are so mean to the equestrians. I for one welcome the horses on the Dale Ball trails, It might make them more like trails again and less like a paved path.

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
It might make them more like trails again and less like a paved path.
I dunno.... paved paths can be fun! Never know where they'll lead or who you'll meet! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
I wouldn't mind them if they didn't mind me. usually bikers are looked down at(figuratively and literally) from horseback riders. Not always the case but its at least 50/50.
Do you slow waaay down when you see them from a distance, and ask them if it's ok to proceed long before you reach them? And when you come upon then suddenly do you stop immediately, and ask them if it's ok to proceed? I hope you do, but for those that don't, they should expect some $hitty attitude.

An inconsiderate mtb'er (if you can imagine such a thing) is a very real threat to a horseback rider. I would never ride within 20 feet of a horse on a trail without the consent of its rider. On the other hand, horseback riders in areas that aren't suitable, like the paved bosque bike path, should have their thick heads examined, but that's very rare.

I see them regularly where I ride, and they're always very appreciative of my tactic. Even when I come blasting around a corner and have to skid to a stop, although they're naturally taken aback, they still appreciate my consideration. Even walking my bike through the brush to get around them, or getting clear of the trail to let them go by, if the space is that limited, seems a small price to pay for a little common civility.

After all, it's not about how one feels about them postholing the trail when it's wet, or littering the trail with turds. It's about the possibility of being soley responsible for somebody getting critically injured if they lose control of their horse.

·
Dirty nerotic bike whore
231 Posts
I do think you nailed it on giving them enough room. I for one am familiar with horses and always stop well in advance and wait. I just hate when even when you do everything you can, they look at you with such hate at times. I usually do throw these less than happy folks off with my hearty hello and cheery attitude. But I have been told even then offhandedly that I was not supposed to be on trails I KNOW I can be on. I do not agree whatsoever with your last comment on somehow being soley responsible with someone elses injury if such a situation arose. Its there's for putting themselves on a animal with a mind of its own. I personally love horseback riding but even if someone came up on me to fast and I wrecked, I would blame my inexperience with that particular horse of that horses jumpiness. I would not blame the car honk/bikerider/dog/deer/million other things that can spook a horse to cause the rider injury. there are too many factors with horses which is why I prefer to ride them in open country where you can see most things coming and reduce the chance of someone railing around a blind corner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.