Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 398 Posts
686 Posts
wow

MisterC said:
To which I respond, " Die in a fire you lazy, dense, self important jackass for covering your disdain with this thinly layered cordiality and then blaming me for not rolling over when you make your demands. Oh, and clean up your horse ****, dick."
Do you really hate horses on tha trail that much or was it a joke?

rules are rules, if any of you see a horse on the trail they have right of way not you, and if theres a blind corner, take it slow enough so that you can come to a quick stop

i absolutely hate horses sometimes, especially when i went to wales 2 weeks ago and found all the local trails ruined by horses riding them in the wet, but theres nothing the rider or owner can do to "train" the horse not to spook, its a reflex reaction.... if you looked up and saw something flying towards you fast, your not just gonna stand there and look dumb, you flinch yes?
same thing in a horses case

so stop complaining about poorly trained horses and their riders, and why dont you just go out on the trail and enjoy them and have a chat to the rider

and i really doubt any of you actually have a go at the riders like some people say they do. You might tell everyone on here that you do, where nobody can see you or shout back, you can make youself look all big and mr important behind a screen, but either way, thats just pathetic

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
DirtyMtnBikeHer said:
AscentCanada said:
It would be nice if they could clean up after their horses but I do not know much about horses I don't know how difficult that is or isn't.
oh come on. if there is one thing that is simple about this discussion, that should be a no-brainer, it is that they should clean up after them and that it can be done with minimal effort.

Police horses in Washington D.C.

I rest my case.

·
Registered
84 Posts
While I hate the damage the beasts do to the trails, I always get the hell out of the way when I see them coming. No interest in getting kicked anywhere by one of them or having them rear up and buck the rider off. I would feel really bad if that happened, even though i wouldn't exactly consider it 'my fault'. Most of the horse riders I've come across have been mutually respectful though there have been the odd cowboy macho d-bag over the years. They are on top of a very heavy, strong, unpredictable animal...and they do have their right to be out there on the trails. I think we should try to get along because neither group is going away. (So many problems in the world could be improved by recognizing the 'other group' are human beings just like 'our group')
Slocaus, I wish I lived in your area...Sounds like bike/horse rider utopia!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with everyone on the poop/potholes/poop filled potholes

In Nashville we lost one of our best trails to the horse people and I cannot stand it!

It was the same bs that is always used erosion/spooking horses. There is a group of riders fighting it now but as someone above mentioned the park is in a very wealthy neighborhood, and I think that not allowing bikes also keeps poor people out of their park.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with everyone on the poop/potholes/poop filled potholes

In Nashville we lost one of our best trails to the horse people and I cannot stand it!

It was the same bs that is always used erosion/spooking horses. There is a group of riders fighting it now but as someone above mentioned the park is in a very wealthy neighborhood, and I think that not allowing bikes also keeps poor people out of their park.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Thankfully I ride on trails where horses aren't allowed. I did once ride a trail that was multi-use and though I did not come across any horses it was once of the worst trails I have ever been on. It was flat and clear and wide and relatively rock/root free but it was in such horrible shape from the hoof marks it might as well been a technical rock garden.

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Do you really hate horses on tha trail that much or was it a joke?

rules are rules, if any of you see a horse on the trail they have right of way not you, and if theres a blind corner, take it slow enough so that you can come to a quick stop

i absolutely hate horses sometimes, especially when i went to wales 2 weeks ago and found all the local trails ruined by horses riding them in the wet, but theres nothing the rider or owner can do to "train" the horse not to spook, its a reflex reaction.... if you looked up and saw something flying towards you fast, your not just gonna stand there and look dumb, you flinch yes?

so stop complaining about poorly trained horses and their riders, and why dont you just go out on the trail and enjoy them and have a chat to the rider

and i really doubt any of you actually have a go at the riders like some people say they do. You might tell everyone on here that you do, where nobody can see you or shout back, you can make youself look all big and mr important behind a screen, but either way, thats just pathetic
We call it hyperbole and I only use it when I really need it. :rolleyes:

I will never understand this mentality and it is just...ugh...everywhere. Yeah rules...are rules, I get that. Doesn't make them right.

Take blind corners slow,yes, thank you for your insight but it toally misses the point. We aren't talking about the OP anymore if you haven't noticed. This thread has digressed into general disdain for horses as they all do.

But, saying that horses are unpredictable and dangerous is not an argument to support that we should be more careful around them. Us being more careful around them is a result of them being dangerous. You know, in Maryland and many other places, they banned smoking in bars because they didn't feel it was fair to expect normal people, who are damaging their bodies just the same with alcohol, to have to endure someone else's smoke. A danger they could not share the same space with and avoid at the same time. I submit that this is a similar situation.

Of course the argument to the smoking ban was that people should just not go to the bars where people smoke. So, right or wrong, my point is that rules were rules and people could smoke, someone decided it was wrong to subject others to it and got it kicked out. The rules changed. If smokers could somehow guarentee that they were insulating their smoke from the other patrons they would still be allowed to smoke indoors today. But they can't. And you know what, as much as I felt it was wrong at the time, I like it much better this way and the majority of people seem to also.

Tellign me that rules are rules and I should just get in line like everyone else is ignorant and lazy.

And I have never told a lie about an enoucnter with a horse.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
MisterC said:
DirtyMtnBikeHer said:
oh come on. if there is one thing that is simple about this discussion, that should be a no-brainer, it is that they should clean up after them and that it can be done with minimal effort.
I agree. It is just a matter of hopping off the horse and kicking the crap off to the side of the trail or carry a small trail shovel and heave the trail apples up into the woods. If I ever had my dog on a trail and he dumped ON the trail I would at least move it off the trail a distance to prevent someone from riding/walking/falling in it. I have a feeling though that getting down off a horse to clean up poo is not something the majesties feel is their duty. I say this even being a horse owner though my g/f is the one that rides. She rides on horse ONLY trails and not trails that were stolen from mountain bikers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey saddLLP,

I ride Cheseboro a lot and have had great interactions with horseriders. Of course, there were a few that were less than positive. And that's not because they were equestrians. It's because the people were *******s. Most riders thank me for stopping and tell me to have a nice ride. Other riders even requested me to keep going, either because their horses were cool with bikes, or because they were acquainting their horses to other trail users.

Thanks for your post, I'm sure a lot more people appreciate it than it seems. See you at the trails.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Yes sir, that's my baby

Jayem said:
To me it sounded like you were trying to make a funny at my expense. If that was not your intent then I am sorry.
I'd take a jab at that, but you seem to be doing alright on your own.

·
Pick a wheel size...
485 Posts
The problems between the equestrians and bikers/hikers in my local community are due to the attitude of the equestrians towards other users. They believe they have the right to use all trails, even trails designated hike'n'bike only, and contribute to little or no maintenance of the trails they ride. Their vehicle completely destroys the land while littering the trails with piles of manure that they don't care to pick up.

Our local club has volunteered hundreds upon hundreds of hours worth of trail design to the equestrians as well as helping them cut in their very own trails and we *still* have to remind them to stay off the bike'n'hike only trails.

Their blatant disregard for park trail rules and regulations is getting them dangerously close to being banned at a local county park. A park that has seen our organization rehab old rogue trails, lay out and cut in new trail, and book the Midwest Mountain Bike Fest for 2011 & 2012.

If it wasn't for completely disregarding the park ranger's rules they wouldn't be in any trouble but their sense of entitlement and smug attitude is doing much more harm than good.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,988 Posts
If what you are saying was really true, they don't belong on trails with other users AT ALL.

They teach horses to ignore gunshots and cannonballs, police horses also don't spook all the time. Sure they can be trained to be calmer around such events, it just takes work. Are the equestrians going to do what is required to not present a hazard to other trail users, or are they just going to take the lazy route?

Most of my horse-enslaver encounters come and go with no problems, both parties are nice and respectfull. That doesn't mean that the bad ones don't happen or that we don't exchange some words. I've had encounters where people freaked out because I was a few hundred yards back and riding to them. Well, sorry, but I'm going to ride to within a reasonable distance and pull off there, so shouting and waving isn't really going to do much good. Then there's the ones where you are traveling at a good clip and stop well before the horse and it still starts spooking. I usually let the equestrians know that I'm in control of my vehicle/bike and that I stopped well in front of them.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
The sense of entitlement that equestrians seem to have will ultimatley be their undoing . How many have you seen pitching in on trail work days? Land managers are aware of the inequities in volunteer hours donated by different user groups .When pressed on these issues volunteer hours many times sway decisions in funding , trail access etc.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Zoke2 said:
FREE Clue to all equestrians

Do Trail Work
Train Your Horse
Pick up the Mess

then you will have earned the right to use the trails
They earn the "right" to keep usurping our public lands by being generally well-off, having enough leisure time and arrogance to influence land management boards, and having a bunch of anti-human eco-nazis, like Sierra Club, who are oblivious to the fact that cycling is far less damaging, on their side.

We have been far too accommodating to their arrogance for far too long.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
jimithng23 said:
Their blatant disregard for park trail rules and regulations is getting them dangerously close to being banned at a local county park.
Yeah, give the horsers time to hear about it, and a quick wave of cash under the politician's noses will make it all go away.

No, I'm not a cynic, just old enough to know how things work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think horses should require blinders when on trails shared with bikers. The horse does not have to see anything but in front of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinders Gives an example of driving horses using them so the horse does not spook as easily. It would make the trails a safer place by restricting the animals vision and allowing the rider to control the animal. I guess the equestrians would not like to always put them on their horses for rides.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Rushan said:
I think horses should require blinders when on trails shared with bikers.
And a poop bag.

It is nothing new. Blinders and poop bags had been used for centuries when we had to share our cities with horses.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
The Lion Sleeps Tonight

perttime said:
Never mention the following on mtbr:
- horses
- dogs
- guns
Google Image Search for above:

Add hot women mountain bikers to the above list.

41 - 60 of 398 Posts