Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 398 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
36,035 Posts
perttime said:
I rarely meet horses on trails. I have a plenty of blind corners, though. I dare not take them at full speed. I also try to make some noice before those corners.
.
I'll take the corners as fast as I can, but I always take them at a speed that allows me to stop on a dime if I need to. How the horse reacts to this is not my problem, as I'm under control and stopping before them. I agree with most of the things said here, just not that we need to do all sorts of special things like talk to the horse and so on. The equestrians need to be responsible for their animans and they need to control them. If they haven't done the necessary training or trained them around bicycles themselves, they should not be out there on the trail. If these things have been done, then enjoy the trails and have a good time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
perttime said:
I think saddLLP made an excellent point here.

In the example that she gave, she and her husband were in good control of their horses, while some pretty dumb bikers came scorching around a blind corner.

QUOTE]

Reading this thread I was thinking exactly the same thing. The horse rider was addressing BLIND corners and that people will get hurt.

I started off riding thinking just like everyone one else. That poorly trained horses and inexperienced riders have no business being out on the trail. They are a danger, blah blah blah. Lets use the same standards on ourselves... Did I have any business being on the trail while I learned???

I came around a corner on loose gravel, and kicked up some rocks. There was a familiy on horses, taking their daughter on her first trail ride. Because she was inexperienced her horse spooked. By Jayem's trail use "rules" I was still in the right. But what right did I have to endanger that little girl. Watching her cling to her horse terrified sure didn't make me feel that I was in the "right". Made me feel like an...

If you look into the IMBA trail use it describes multi use trails and use designed trails. Use designed are still multi use but designed for hiking, running, biking or horse. Its pretty easy to tell when you are on a trail that horses frequent, and act appropriately. When you ride a trail designed specifically for bikes, let er rip.

What do we expect Horse riders to do, keep the inexperience horses on the wider easy trails. What do they expect us to do, watch for them and keep it slow on the wider trails.

SaddLLP hasn't even asked for that much, watch blind corners and make noise. Seems pretty reasonable to me.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
36,035 Posts
AscentCanada said:
There was a familiy on horses, taking their daughter on her first trail ride. Because she was inexperienced her horse spooked. By Jayem's trail use "rules" I was still in the right. But what right did I have to endanger that little girl. Watching her cling to her horse terrified sure didn't make me feel that I was in the "right". Made me feel like an
The horse spooked partially because that family didn't ride bikes around the horse THEMSELVES before taking the horse on a multi-use trail. Yes, there is no excuse for inexperienced mountain bikers as well, although we can try to spread the rules the best we can. I actually had to do this a few weeks ago with a very experienced tri/mtb "racer" I was riding with. She actually didn't know the rules of the trail, which was a little strange.
 

·
Over the Hill
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
I do many MTBing trips and have rode many areas. In most areas MTB and horses seem to co-exist just fine. I spend a lot of time riding the same trails as Jayem and of all the places I ride Prescott seem to have the most polite trail-users around.

In So-Cal I have had my worst horse experiences like when a group decided in was time to get a young horse used to the trail. He was was being lead riderless tied to another horse, when a bike came up and stopped he freaking and starting kicking at everything close then broke free and ran full steam down the trail at some hikers. I don't blame the horse but people who own horses and really aren't "horse people".

When I ride remote areas I find it comforting knowing that others on horseback are around for support if needed.

Dean
 

·
I'm just messing with you
Joined
·
5,423 Posts
MisterC said:
Clean up after yourself the way we are all expected to in the name of common courtesy.
Those piles are just nature's way of giving the trail crew something to fill the post holes that horses make in the trail with their hooves.

Yes, I kid.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
36,035 Posts
LeeL said:
EDIT eh - i was just trying to making a funny. Sorry about that.
To me it sounded like you were trying to make a funny at my expense. If that was not your intent then I am sorry.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,638 Posts
Curmy said:
Equestrians have a sense of entitlement and abundance of smugness. They successfully usurped our public lands under false pretenses. Horses actually cause more erosion and damage then bikes. They drop manure everywhere and they are a danger to all other trail users.
Agreed. Equestrians are themost self important, arrogrant people on the trail. Everytime I come to a horse on the trail the rider always thinks I should clear the trail for their animal. They ride through me and at me, often with no warning. Horses make those huge, deep hoof marks all over the trail and leave huge, stinking piles of crap right in the middle. At least dogs usually crap off the trial.

Horses are dangerous, sometimes unpredictable animals. They do not belong on the trail with hikers and riders. They are easily spooked and are not safe. I can control, predict and manage my bike so I am 100% safe. You can't control an animal, it has a mind of its own, especially a 1000 lb animal.

To the starter of this thread, I don't want to see any horses on my trail. Please stick to riding around in circles, safely enclosed by fences.
 

·
local trails rider
Joined
·
12,300 Posts
VTSession said:
I can control, predict and manage my bike so I am 100% safe.
Me too. Took a spill during yesterday's ride. Been almost a week since my latest OTB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
In my entier life, one, yes one, equestrian has been courteous to me on the trail. On the flip side of that, dozens of them have run me right off the trail and yelled out some derogatory comment having to do with granola, sprockets, or spandex. I think the problem around here is they all think they're cowboys and have to fit the tuffguy stereotype. Unfortunately they only come across as ignorant ********.
 

·
is buachail foighneach me
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
i've only ever had good experiences meeting equestrians on the trail. i don't like the mess their animals leave behind, but people are people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Jayem said:
The horse spooked partially because that family didn't ride bikes around the horse THEMSELVES before taking the horse on a multi-use trail. Yes, there is no excuse for inexperienced mountain bikers as well, although we can try to spread the rules the best we can. I actually had to do this a few weeks ago with a very experienced tri/mtb "racer" I was riding with. She actually didn't know the rules of the trail, which was a little strange.
You tend to generalize things into what suits your argument. How do you KNOW this and this as FACT? Do you have some telepathic ability to know these people and how they did train their horse :rolleyes: Do you think they put their daughter on their most inexperienced horse?

As I explained in this case I slowed down and continued to ride past. I hit a rock up at the horse, which spooked it and it took off into the bushes away from me. The horse was still until then. So it seemed that the horse was experienced but the rider not. By not dismounting and letting the horses by I put both myself at risk of being kicked and their daughter in danger.
 

·
Lab Lackey
Joined
·
12 Posts
saddLLP said:
"So, please, if you are come up to a blind curve - especially if you see horse trailers in the parking lot, please know that a horse and rider are probably just on the other side."

Slowing down for blind corners should be a given in situations when any other trail users are present. Perhaps it needed to be brought up again? Kinda like me jumping on a skydiving forum and telling them to pull the cord before they hit the ground! Everybody knows that for every given number of trail users there is going to be somebody out there with half a brain and no respect for anybody else. What you said here needed to be told to the father in front of the kids so they learn what sharing the trail entails.

"Nothing like being on my four-legged ride at a full gallop up and down some nasty trails."

Let me guess. Nasty trails means horse hooved carpet bombed potholed covered in a thick layer horse dung. Perhaps if the equestrians in my neck of the woods took the time to clean and repair the trails they destroy (at least the busy ones close to town) that statement would not rub me the wrong way.

"If we see you, we will stop and let you pass. Just give us a minute to get the horse's rear end away from your head, okay????"

I will assume you mean if the biker is approaching from behind. Just the other day I came upon 3 riders (approaching) on a roughly 8 foot+ wide trail. I went way wide, slowed to about 2mph, took my feet off the pedals, and addressed the horses. I could tell the horses had no problem with me, unlike the lead rider. He pulled the greater than thou, come to a complete stop, and bow down to me and my horses move. By the time he was done with his preaching they had already passed! If you want to give this thread insight you could explain why half of the equestrian population are a bunch of trouser snakes!
 

·
Masher
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
Horse people always say the same thing,

" Look, we are allowed out there and we aren't going to stop. So lets make nice nice when we deal with each other and be as safe as possible even if that puts most of the responsibility on you. About the poop thing, 'No comment'. "

To which I respond, " Die in a fire you lazy, dense, self important jackass for covering your disdain with this thinly layered cordiality and then blaming me for not rolling over when you make your demands. Oh, and clean up your horse ****, dick."
 

·
local trails rider
Joined
·
12,300 Posts
Lesson 1
-------------

Never mention the following on mtbr:
- horses
- dogs
- guns
 

·
Beer drinking biker!
Joined
·
256 Posts
AscentCanada said:
perttime said:
I think saddLLP made an excellent point here.

In the example that she gave, she and her husband were in good control of their horses, while some pretty dumb bikers came scorching around a blind corner.

QUOTE]

Reading this thread I was thinking exactly the same thing. The horse rider was addressing BLIND corners and that people will get hurt.

I started off riding thinking just like everyone one else. That poorly trained horses and inexperienced riders have no business being out on the trail. They are a danger, blah blah blah. Lets use the same standards on ourselves... Did I have any business being on the trail while I learned???

I came around a corner on loose gravel, and kicked up some rocks. There was a familiy on horses, taking their daughter on her first trail ride. Because she was inexperienced her horse spooked. By Jayem's trail use "rules" I was still in the right. But what right did I have to endanger that little girl. Watching her cling to her horse terrified sure didn't make me feel that I was in the "right". Made me feel like an...

If you look into the IMBA trail use it describes multi use trails and use designed trails. Use designed are still multi use but designed for hiking, running, biking or horse. Its pretty easy to tell when you are on a trail that horses frequent, and act appropriately. When you ride a trail designed specifically for bikes, let er rip.

What do we expect Horse riders to do, keep the inexperience horses on the wider easy trails. What do they expect us to do, watch for them and keep it slow on the wider trails.

SaddLLP hasn't even asked for that much, watch blind corners and make noise. Seems pretty reasonable to me.


:)
I have to agree with you! SaddLLP was addressing blind corners in particular and I think coming up from behind. If you are riding a "multi-use" trail remember that it is multi-use and we ALL have the right and privelge of being there. Sometimes certain groups of trail users (I am talking about us) get a bad name because a few of us bad mouth other users. Respect others' rights to be on the trail and hopefully they will respect yours' too!
It would be nice if they could clean up after their horses but I do not know much about horses I don't know how difficult that is or isn't.
Anyway remember being respectful of others gains respect towards yourself! If you want more mountain bike access only trails join your local group and take action and get them. Our trails are brought from hard work by many people! Be one of them!
And quit your b**ing! :prft:
 

·
local trails rider
Joined
·
12,300 Posts
shrubeck said:
Next time I see a guy on a horse, I'm going to shoot his dog with my gun!
Now listen you trigger-happy cave man! You should know that a squirt of lemon juice from a bottle is the way to teach a predator a lesson. Leave finishing that guy to the Authorities when they arrive.
(the stupid herd animal is already dead in the ravine)

:eekster:
:p
:cool:
:D
 
21 - 40 of 398 Posts
Top