Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know this is a strange question since these two groups are generally not terribly friendly to each other.

I'm just getting back into biking after being lazy for several years and my girlfriend would like to spend some time riding with me, however she does the horse thing instead. Does anyone know of any trails around Eugene/Mckenzie/Oakridge that are intended for both horses and bikes?

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
The McKenzie River trail is closed to horses, but other trails in the area (Olallie, Oleary, Horesepasture Mtn) are open to both users. In Oakridge, most trails are multiple use, but I'd say that Middle Fork trail, Flat Creek, and Salmon Creek trail would work best. Closer to Eugene, try South Willamette off Hwy 58, or North Shore trail along Lookout Point reservoir.

We try to work with the local horse groups as allies instead of fighting with them. We do encourage horses and bikes to stay off soft trails until they are dry enough to handle the traffic.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tarbell

Not sure where you are in Oregon but if you're near the Portland/Vancouver area give the Tarbell trail a try. The Tarbell trail is on the Washington side of the Columbia close to the Larch Mountain honor camp and about 1 hour drive from Portland. I usually ride out of the Rock Creek campground which is primarily a horse campground. Horse riders, hikers, and mountain bikers are allowed to use the trail. The lower part of the trail near the campground can get a bit beat up but the conditions improve as you gain altitude.

www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/eng_rms_tarbell_06_full.pdf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.