Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could some one please explain to me why it is a horse can go on a trail and squeeze off piles bigger than my head every ten feet yet when I take my dog on a trail I am expected to clean up after him. I especially love going too fast to avoid one of the piles and feeling it fling off your back tire onto your back. Let's not forget to mention how horses destroy the trail. I was on my favorite trail yesterday (which is why I am now writing this rant) and sure enough a few horses were on it a couple of days before. Half of the trail was pulverized into sand because they weigh so much they break up the packed dirt, and most of the switchbacks were destroyed because they stepped on the edge, pushing it down. Yet some how horses get a hundred times more respect than mountain bikers. I used to live in Washington state and you might as well wear a coat just for the sole purpose of protecting yourself from crap because it is everywhere and you couldn't do anything about it because they were pretty much the reason for any trails even being in that state, and half of the lawmakers had horses themselves so they had the power. However, I have now moved back to Colorado where there seem to be a lot more mountain bikers. Is there some sort of group that I can join to eradicate horses from the trails?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
:cryin:

Awwww.... poor baby.

(same old whiny cr*p... different day. Can we get a special forum for people who wanna whine about horses... and hikers... and dogs... :yawn: )

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Only thing a hay burning POS is good for is dog food. I got no problem with killing the lot of 'em. I cannot think of a single redeeming quality of a horse, other than to breed a Hybrid.

I myself, prefer mules.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Jeez.

Horse poop degrades fairly rapidly, dog poop does not. Carnivore poop not that prevalent in the natural environment, blah, blah, blah. Quit yer whining and buy a backbone.

Now hiker poop, that is some smelly sh!t. I really hate running over that in the middle of the trail. Esp when it has TP stuck to it and it becomes lodged in my freewheel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess no one else really cares too much. I guess I am the only one that gets pissed off that we can do everything right and still get looked down at and kicked off trails, yet horses tear the s*#$ out of trails and it is no big deal...

·
Registered
118 Posts
You think that's bad?

The horses on my street consistently poops next to the driver door of my vehicle while parked in front of my house. Oh and at night, the odor from the horse **** is a real aroma.

I find it funny.

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,993 Posts
Anonymous said:
Only thing a hay burning POS is good for is dog food. I got no problem with killing the lot of 'em. I cannot think of a single redeeming quality of a horse, other than to breed a Hybrid.

I myself, prefer mules.
Umm, you forgot glue and a source of lean red meat too.:D

Horse poop is just something else to bunnyhop, or dodge.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I came off my motorcycle because of a huge pile of cac on the road and broke my wrist, not to mention £££ damage to my £10,000 Ducati, leathers etc Fing things need shooting

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
epetes said:
I guess no one else really cares too much. I guess I am the only one that gets pissed off that we can do everything right and still get looked down at and kicked off trails, yet horses tear the s*#$ out of trails and it is no big deal...
Naah, we're just giving you a bad time. All in fun.

Most of the horse riders in my area are pretty decent people, but the poop does drive me crazy when I don't see it and ride through it. Man, I hate hosing that stuff off. And yeah, the tear up the trails, yet get away with it, prob due the fact that they have $$ and are well organized. Works the same way with cattle. In my area cattle and dairy cows are responsible for 90% of the trail damage, yet get a free pass because they provide "fire protection".

Horse poop caused someone to dump a Duc? that is a shooting offense in my book. :madmax:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Have you ever heard of fenders?

I won't buy a frame or fork unless it allows me to mount fenders.

I still avoid the horse doo, when I can. When I can't, it is a pain to it clean out of the tire treads, but at least I don't wear it.

old dude

Attachments

·
Masher
530 Posts
Horse crap won't hurt you, horses eat grass and grains, it's organic!
Your dog eats meat, bone meal, other peoples crap and cat ****, it's full of bacteria.
Heck - Horse poop burns when it's dry. You could probably eat it if you were starving! Not that I've ever tried.
I'd rather smell horse crap than diesel fumes.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hurt my fing wrist for 6 months and not to mention my bank balance. Off work, couldn,t afford to fix bike, had to sell it at a massive loss,the selfish uninsured fing scum. The owners that is

(I also hit the wrong reply button, sorry old dude)

·
Live fast. die younG.
210 Posts
Horse crap won't hurt you, horses eat grass and grains, it's organic!
Your dog eats meat, bone meal, other peoples crap and cat ****, it's full of bacteria.
Heck - Horse poop burns when it's dry. You could probably eat it if you were starving! Not that I've ever tried.
I'd rather smell horse crap than diesel fumes.
You are ridiculous. Your logic makes no sense. Poo is poo. If I ate grass and grains for a week, would you eat MY poo? I'd even let you burn it to prove it's "organic".

I digress...
I think any kind of poo in the trail (almost sat in hiker poo once as I took a rest from backpacking on a convenient stump. I'm still mad)...um..stinks. As far as trails and doodoo go, MTB'ers should not squat till they get home, horses should have to wear those dookie bag things, and dogs should be on short leashes and their poo picked up. Birds can poop when and where they like because it's funny to see people get a dookie splat from above.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Haha! People actually poop on the trail? That's funny...and oh so uncivilized! Well, I can at least understand if they go off the trail, but ON the trail?

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
keeb said:
You are ridiculous. Your logic makes no sense. Poo is poo. If I ate grass and grains for a week, would you eat MY poo? I'd even let you burn it to prove it's "organic".
It has certainly been done before with no ill effects -- eating horse sh!t, I mean. Just go ask the Ukrainians who lived through the 30s. Famine will do wonders for your perception. Of course, I don't recall ever reading about how they ate each other's sh!t.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
We have horse crap on one paticular trail. The only reason I get irritated about it is the fact that there are designated trails for horses, and bikes/hikers. I respect the horse trails and stay off them.........the horse owners on the other hand dont give a crap.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
keeb said:
Not all poo is created equal. Horse poo is made up primarily of straw and grain and does degrade in a few weeks. Carinvore poo takes a bit longer, and does contain e coli, since e coli resides in the intestinal tract of all carnivores (to my knowledge). In the "natural" environment the ratio of carnivores to herbivores is small, so not a lot of carinvore poop, much more herbivore poop. Anyway, that's the theory. Blah blah blah.

Not that it really matters. But hey, if you were tramping through the grass, you would probably not see the poo and step in it anyway. At least you can see it on the trail.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good point! Maybe if we mountain bikers smear ourselves with horse poop hikers will like us better. Since I never hear them complain about horses on the trail. Or horse poop for that matter.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts