Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This subject has probably come up before, and has maybe been beaten to death already, but I'm gonna rant about it anyhow. I went for an early morning ride at Annadel this morning and came across several large fresh piles of horse poo in the middle of the trail on Ridge, Marsh, Burma and Spring Creek. One pile was situated on a narrow section of the trail between rocks and bushes where the only way to avoid it was to get off the bike and carry it over the poo.

Now as a dog owner, I always carry a bag and clean up after my mutt if he poops in a public place. This is standard practice for dog owners and is expected of us. Likewise it would not be appropriate for someone to let their animal poop on the sidewalk and leave it there.

I understand that horse poo could weigh down a bag in a hurry, but I would be fine if horse owners were just required to have a shovel with them and at least throw their animal's waste off the side of the trail. It's disgusting, ridiculous and detracts from the enjoyment of other park users.

I wonder if anyone has taken this issue up with the California State Parks? If not, I think I'm going to.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've always found it somewhat repulsive to have to dodge horse crap all over the trails, as well. It seems reasonable to me that horse owners should, as you say, be required to at least move the crap off the trail.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would say ... Try the road bike because there is less horse crap on the road. Just hop it and show your mad MTB skills. We all share the trails so that we have trails. Horse crap is not like dog **** ... Seems like City people want to have sidewalks for trails ...

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
isleblue65 said:
... One pile was situated on a narrow section of the trail between rocks and bushes where the only way to avoid it was to get off the bike and carry it over the poo.

Now as a dog owner, I always carry a bag and clean up after my mutt if he poops in a public place. This is standard practice for dog owners and is expected of us. Likewise it would not be appropriate for someone to let their animal poop on the sidewalk and leave it there.

... if horse owners were just required to have a shovel with them and at least throw their animal's waste off the side of the trail.
That's not an unreasonable suggestion. I know the equestrian parking at a state park near my house has signs posted requiring horse owners to shovel off the parking lot near the trailer parking...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I agree---whatever happened to "leave no trace"?? has anyone tried lodging a complaint at any of the ranger stations? i was thinking of doing that at the hoen ave entrance (just to see what happens) this weekend.

the other issue is people taking untrained horses (not sure if thats the correct term). once i was asked to get off marsh trail by two fine examples of trailer trash on horses, and they had a third riderless horse following. apparently the third horse was, "skittish, and hasn't really been trained yet". wtf does that mean? does it seem like a good idea to bring a 1500 lb animal onto a single track if it isnt ready (again, i'm not sure what all "training" a horse needs)??

isleblue65 said:
This subject has probably come up before, and has maybe been beaten to death already, but I'm gonna rant about it anyhow. I went for an early morning ride at Annadel this morning and came across several large fresh piles of horse poo in the middle of the trail on Ridge, Marsh, Burma and Spring Creek. One pile was situated on a narrow section of the trail between rocks and bushes where the only way to avoid it was to get off the bike and carry it over the poo.

I understand that horse poo could weigh down a bag in a hurry, but I would be fine if horse owners were just required to have a shovel with them and at least throw their animal's waste off the side of the trail. It's disgusting, ridiculous and detracts from the enjoyment of other park users.

I wonder if anyone has taken this issue up with the California State Parks? If not, I think I'm going to.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Desensitizing?

marty crosley said:
I would say ... Try the road bike because there is less horse crap on the road. Just hop it and show your mad MTB skills. We all share the trails so that we have trails. Horse crap is not like dog **** ... Seems like City people want to have sidewalks for trails ...
There is a reason it comes out the back and not the front and a reason humans react to the bad smell. Crap is crap and when your knobby tire throws it up into your face it is now crap on your face.;)

·
Super Ginger
121 Posts
"Horse Crap Trail", is what my friend and I named pretty much any and all trails in Granite Bay/Folsom. I have to apply ninja like moves to avoid the 100's of piles littering the trails.

I do not understand why horse owners/riders are exepmt from cleaning up after their animals? They leave a much bigger mess than dogs. (not that I want to roll through dog poo)
It is just gross.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
I'd just like to take a moment to point out that John Wayne was a Nazi.

·
Registered
435 Posts
dth656 said:
I agree---whatever happened to "leave no trace"??
"In general" people in the bay area who own horses truly believe they are better than everyone else. That is not to say I have not met some really cool equestrians around here.

I also think, as dth656 pointed out, that a bigger issue with horses is owner's taking horses who aren't fully broken onto public trails. That is dangerously irresponsible whereas horse crap on the trail is just annoying and a bit rude.

edit: fwiw, I grew up in the midwest around horses, and didn't really get into bikes until later in life.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,937 Posts
marty crosley said:
Yeah, as if their sh*t doesn't stink like everyone elses. Yes, I know horse crap is not dog crap, but if horse crap is such great stuff, why do vetrinarians use huge latex gloves when they have to stick their hand up a horses a$$? No one wants sidewalks for trails, but you think it's unresonable to not have to ride through sh*t?

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
dth656 said:
the other issue is people taking untrained horses (not sure if thats the correct term). once i was asked to get off marsh trail by two fine examples of trailer trash on horses, and they had a third riderless horse following. apparently the third horse was, "skittish, and hasn't really been trained yet". wtf does that mean? does it seem like a good idea to bring a 1500 lb animal onto a single track if it isnt ready (again, i'm not sure what all "training" a horse needs)??
The typical term for an untrained horse like that is that he/she is "green." If you have a horse that's green to trails, you have to train it on trails to get it used to trails... really no other way to do it. But taking a green horse on multi-use trails is irresponsible because you're putting others at risk. Find an isolated, non-multi-use trail and use that one to train your horse. Then, once it's used to being on trails, work it up to encountering other things on trails. Taking an outright green horse to freaking Annadel with tons of other users is just dumb.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree - it seems only fair that all trail users, regardless of transport mode, should be required to leave the trails as they found them, rather than prejudicing the enjoyment and health of other users who follow. It doesn't seem any excuse that it would be inconvenient to dismount and clean it up; that's like saying I don't feel like cleaning up after my dog because I find it annoying. If you don't want to clean up after a horse, don't ride a horse, just like if you don't want to clean up after a dog, don't have a dog.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,243 Posts
Ugh, having a strong sense of deja vu here, lol! :p

Anyhoo, last night I was pedaling up Purisima Creek trail over in Half Moon Bay, and I happened to see a pile of horse ****. Sitting on top of the pile was a very large yellow banana slug digging in contentedly. I guess, one person's dung is another one's dinner.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
breadly said:
Grass In --> Grass Out
Yeah, why don't you decorate your lawn with it. Put it on your dining room table while you are at it, and smear some over your floor.

Grass in -> Feces out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Curmy said:
Yeah, why don't you decorate your lawn with it. Put it on your dining room table while you are at it, and smear some over your floor.

Grass in -> Feces out.
I understand your use of hyperbole, but let me make myself clear - I'm not proposing that we all swim in horse ****. My comment was intended to poke a bit of fun at the serious tone often taken with regards to horse droppings on the trail.

In the interest of full disclosure: besides hitting the MTB 3 days a week, i also own and ride a horse 3x a week. I primarily ride in a closed arena, where i pick up my horse's refuse. I've also ridden on multi-use trails, where i do not. I've found that once you get over the initial "icky" factor of dealing with an animal's waste droppings, horse poo is pretty benign as far as waste goes.

The odor is low, and the droppings are something like 80% water by mass, so they dry out and break down quite quickly. I've never heard of anyone getting sick from horse manure, and if i recall correctly most of the communicable "bugs" we associate with feces are not carried by horses in any form that's infectious to humans.

I've ridden in areas which were sensitive to weeds/ non-native plant species and have adhered to the rules requiring that feed brought into those areas be USDA certified "Weed Free" - i think these rules are important and should be followed.

Cheers!
-b

1 - 20 of 106 Posts