Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my XT shifters came, and i made a horrible mistake.
I popped the shifters on my handlebars and shifted to the highest gear in the back(loosest cable position). then i tightened the bolt on the derailleur, securing the cable. I then shifted to the lowest gear(tightest cable position).

Now this is where it gets ugly. The barrel adjuster on the XT shifter wouldnt turn, so what did i do? pair of pliers. Yep. :eek: The cable was too tight so i couldnt tighten the barrel adjuster on the shifter. But i didnt know thats why it wouldnt turn. So i crank away, and before i know it the threads are stripped clean.

It was definitely not one of my prouder moments. does anyone know if i can buy just the front shifter pod for the 8 spd xts?

Moral of the story: DONT PLIER THE BARREL ADJUSTERS...EVER

I will look at this as an opportunity to learn and also i now have a shifter part that can be cannaballized for parts, since i've heard they wear out quick. I plan to get another XT deore shifter pod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
options....

I've got three options for you:

1) get a different sized barrel adjuster; eg brakes. These use a different thread, and you may be able to re-tap the thread for the new one.

2) get over it, and adjust the cable properly. Once it is set right, you don't need a barrel adjuster, so spend an extra 1/2 hour and get it right :)

3) stick the shifter in an envelop, and post it to me. I'm sure I can do 2) above, so will put it to good use

Fred

Styles said:
Ok my XT shifters came, and i made a horrible mistake.
I popped the shifters on my handlebars and shifted to the highest gear in the back(loosest cable position). then i tightened the bolt on the derailleur, securing the cable. I then shifted to the lowest gear(tightest cable position).

Now this is where it gets ugly. The barrel adjuster on the XT shifter wouldnt turn, so what did i do? pair of pliers. Yep. :eek: The cable was too tight so i couldnt tighten the barrel adjuster on the shifter. But i didnt know thats why it wouldnt turn. So i crank away, and before i know it the threads are stripped clean.

It was definitely not one of my prouder moments. does anyone know if i can buy just the front shifter pod for the 8 spd xts?

Moral of the story: DONT PLIER THE BARREL ADJUSTERS...EVER

I will look at this as an opportunity to learn and also i now have a shifter part that can be cannaballized for parts, since i've heard they wear out quick. I plan to get another XT deore shifter pod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
options?

How do you "retap" the thread with a larger diameter barrel adjuster? This sounds like a good option... do i just use pliers and screw it in or what?

FredNZ said:
I've got three options for you:

1) get a different sized barrel adjuster; eg brakes. These use a different thread, and you may be able to re-tap the thread for the new one.

2) get over it, and adjust the cable properly. Once it is set right, you don't need a barrel adjuster, so spend an extra 1/2 hour and get it right :)

3) stick the shifter in an envelop, and post it to me. I'm sure I can do 2) above, so will put it to good use

Fred
 

·
MattSavage
Joined
·
2,481 Posts
Styles said:
How do you "retap" the thread with a larger diameter barrel adjuster? This sounds like a good option... do i just use pliers and screw it in or what?
Didn't you just say not to use pliers on the barrel adjuster?? EVER!!!!????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't you just say not to use pliers on the barrel adjuster?? EVER!!!!????
Hey i never said i was a quick learner.... ;)

i figure if theyre already busted then i get to mess around with them...
Hmmmm. Powertools? Is there some kind of drill bit that i can use to retap threads? maybe just use the slowest speed on cordless drill and some kind of retapping bit.

And Nate, i would like to be able to have full adjustment capabilities of my shifters...otherwise i would do like you said.
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
Styles said:
Hey i never said i was a quick learner.... ;)

i figure if theyre already busted then i get to mess around with them...
Hmmmm. Powertools? Is there some kind of drill bit that i can use to retap threads? maybe just use the slowest speed on cordless drill and some kind of retapping bit.

And Nate, i would like to be able to have full adjustment capabilities of my shifters...otherwise i would do like you said.
Chase the threads using a hand operated thread tap. You can probably find the right size bit at Sears or any decent tool store.

Many rear derailleurs no longer come with barrel adjusters because it is redundant to have two. By eliminating the one at the shifter you'd simply be keeping up with the times (assuming your rear mech has one!).
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top